Playtonic's Yooka-Laylee

Vemsie

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

You should know by now that it is forbidden to criticise this classic game, Nap. People were calling Jim Sterling a cunt for giving it a bad review (without playing it), ffs. 

If he didn't play it, and gave it a bad review, then of course he's a cunt.

6 hours ago, Triple A said:

how's the music in this (and snake pass too)?

Fantastic in both. Snake Pass is better, but then I've always preferred David Wise over Grant Kirkhope.

Some of the  Snake Pass soundtrack is right up there with his Donkey Kong Country tracks.

Yooka-Laylee's is very much a Banjo esq affair.

Loving the game so far, only played for about an hour but it's just what I needed. Between this and Snake Pass I couldn't be happier gaming right now.

3 hours ago, Fatsam said:

Light sources cast a proper shadow. Which looks nice, but is shit for judging your jumps, so they've bunged that extra black circle "shadow" in there too.  

Yep it's simply not good for jumps. I think nintendo still do it in the 3D marios as well.

Played through the Hub & the first world up to the point of expanding it, & despite the camera & control issues, I like it, as it reminds me of why I liked playing games like Banjo in the first place.

The reviews do say however, that the first world is the best one & the others aren't as good, so we'll see how long this good feeling lasts.

On 10/04/2017 at 04:30, partious said:

Why is it bonkers to think that an internet drama merchant/whipper up of storms in a teacup exaggerates his opinions in order to stand out from the crowd.

Could have given the game 4 or 5 out of 10 and just blended in at the lower end of the metacritic scale but nah 2/10 and he stands out like a sore thumb on metacritic and is being discussed a week later.

What a bonkers concept! People making exaggerated comments for publicity. What next!

2/10 is the score of a game that is fundamentally broken on almost every level.

Just watching a gameplay video of this game is enough for any gamer to know that is not the case here, whether or not it's a good game is another matter.

"Hey, my business model relies entirely on people willingly giving me money because they like my work, and retaining those people on a monthly basis.  I know what'll make that audience grow! I'll come out with wildly unpopular opinions that loads of people will hate, but not only that, I'll exaggerate those opinions!  It'll make my work stand out, but I'll get loads of hate and people will assume my scores aren't honest!  That will drive people to give me money!"

Again, if you think a reviewer thought giving Yooka-fucking-Laylee a 2 when they didn't mean it because it would help their publicity (especially someone with an already established audience who I assume are enjoying his work because they pay for it) you are fucking bonkers

I also disagree a game needs to be "fundamentally broken" to get a 2 - the game can work and still have plenty of shitty design decisions that drag it down that low.

3 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

NEG are you playing this? Intrigued to hear your thoughts. 

I have it (PC - GoG), but I'm still Zelda'ing, and with Zelda being a collect-o-thon in it's own regard this time around I feel it's too soon to start on another. Maybe in another week, I still have 40 shrines to find.

My opinion on the Toy Box demo last year was that the controls needed work (bit slippery), otherwise was fine.

Oh, and I also have one of these:

(not my account)

6 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I also disagree a game needs to be "fundamentally broken" to get a 2 - the game can work and still have plenty of shitty design decisions that drag it down that low.

Those saying 'a 2/10 means THIS' are a fucking joke. Jesus christ, guys.

13 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Again, if you think a reviewer thought giving Yooka-fucking-Laylee a 2 when they didn't mean it because it would help their publicity (especially someone with an already established audience who I assume are enjoying his work because they pay for it) you are fucking bonkers

Then I'm "fucking bonkers", because I think it's clear as day what Jim was and is up to. I'm actually astounded everyone can't see it, such is the transparency of it.

Put it this way, I don't think it will be long before we have another example one way or another.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I don't think it's bonkers at all. If anything I think you're missing the point. Sterling is a classic example of the cult of personality. He's very carefully cultivated an image of the lone angry man, the only person telling the truth in an industry full of uncritical shrills. The only person willing to stand on a podium each week and shout and rant about how terrible this and that and the other is.

That's why people give him money and why he has established a solid fanbase. Because people, especially internet forum dwellers, love to feel like they're part of a community, a follower of someone, committed to being the voice of 'truth'. And there's nothing the internet loves more than a daily dose of hyperbole and outrage before instantly forgetting about it and moving onto the next thing to be briefly outraged about.

Jim Sterling has had a reputation for literally years of dishing out controversial reviews, way before Breath of the Wild and Yooka-Laylee were even a glint in his eye. People would start saying 'ok this has had good reviews so far but wait for Jim Sterling's review' That's how he became notorious. And he has to maintain that. He will piss a certain amount of people off each time he does it, but every time he does it he's reinforcing his persona. And that persona is like catnip to some people who want to feel in on something that isn't your average IGN/Gamespot/Eurogamer community. 

To quote a famous philosophical saying: 'If Jim Sterling isn't whipping up controversy over something every other week while ranting like a sugar-addled toddler in his Jimquisition videos, does he make a sound?'

Out of curiousity, what were his controversial reviews last year?  I can think of The Last Guardian and even then he was hardly vitriolic about it.  I followed him on twitter after gamergate last year, and I can't think of anything except in the past few months?

EDIT: and to be honest, I think you're missing my point here.  I don't disagree with some of what you said, but arguably any Internet personality nowadays has a following like that. My point is that when you rely on people willingly giving you money, dishing out scores that you don't believe in for attention is fucking risky.  People who feel like they're being misled aren't going to keep handing money over.  There's more than enough things he can rip into to the point where if you think he thought risking his reputation for "telling it like it is" to his fan base so he could give Yooka Laylee a 2 so he had something to "rant like a sugar addled toddler" about, then yeah.  Bonkers.

4 hours ago, George Clooney said:

EDIT: and to be honest, I think you're missing my point here.  I don't disagree with some of what you said, but arguably any Internet personality nowadays has a following like that. My point is that when you rely on people willingly giving you money, dishing out scores that you don't believe in for attention is fucking risky.  People who feel like they're being misled aren't going to keep handing money over.  There's more than enough things he can rip into to the point where if you think he thought risking his reputation for "telling it like it is" to his fan base so he could give Yooka Laylee a 2 so he had something to "rant like a sugar addled toddler" about, then yeah.  Bonkers.

I think it's a risk he's willing to continue taking because it's served him well so far. This thread is proof of that. 

Anyway, when is this due on Switch?

27 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think it's a risk he's willing to continue taking because it's served him well so far. This thread is proof of that. 

Anyway, when is this due on Switch?

No release date yet.

28 minutes ago, clippa said:

He gave the sexy brutale a 10 out of 10.

It seems like everyone else is giving it an 8 out of 10.

Starting to see a pattern forming.

His was one of the first reviews out for The Sexy Brutale though. Kind of punctures that theory - or were you being sarcastic? I can't tell any more!

Rex's cart arcade game can go fuck itself.

Really enjoying the main game so far, but that mini-game is attrocious. I know it should be a challenge, but it could've been a fun challenge with tight controls. Instead it's got floaty sluggish controls and is just bloody annoying. Plus,obstacles that reverse your controls were awful thirty five years ago. They've not become any better since.

Grrrr...

2 hours ago, FishyFish said:

Rex's cart arcade game can go fuck itself.

Really enjoying the main game so far, but that mini-game is attrocious. I know it should be a challenge, but it could've been a fun challenge with tight controls. Instead it's got floaty sluggish controls and is just bloody annoying. Plus,obstacles that reverse your controls were awful thirty five years ago. They've not become any better since.

Grrrr...

2/10?

Played this for an hour and a half. It's just Banjo! And that's no bad thing. I was never the biggest B-K head (got somewhere around the haunted house level in the first and never really played the second) but I liked it for a quick platforming fix, and this just seems like the first one with lush graphics, twin-stick controls and (I think) more endearing characters (though I liked the B-K ones too). Controls are a bit 'sharp' and judging some jump distances was tricky at first (the butterflies in the first Nimble race) but before long I was jumping from platform to platform with few errors. Bright, colourful, nostalgic, good sense of humour. Only bad point was the karts game mentioned above. ;)

--

Just skimmed the last page or two. What's with all the uproar? Never heard of this Sterling (and having looked up a pic and the title of his site, I can see why) but there's a lot of fuss here about review scores (which should hardly ever matter). Is it because it's a crowdfunded game, so people are being more critical? This is hardly another Shitey number Nein. A quick glance at some reviews seem to point to many of them saying the game feels "dated", citing the platforming and things like the voices. Well yeah, in a way that's sort of the point. :) It's hardly dated in a bad way though. Both B-K and Y-L are leagues ahead of platformers that came out between them. Looking at you Gex Enter the Gecko and Vexx in particular. <_< 

I played this for about two and a half hours this afternoon.

It really is just a reskinned version of Banjo Kazooie. Nothing wrong with that - i've had a good deal of fun with it. Some of the "retro games" where a bit poor and i don't think i'd care if they were removed..

I got to the Snow Level, got a couple of the pagies and am a bit stuck now. Will try again tomorrow.

I backed it and got a digital copy. If I had a physical version I'd be selling it right now. It's not a bad game and maybe I'm a bit jaded after 35 yrs plus of gaming, it just doesn't do anything different or interesting to make me want to keep playing. Ratchet and Clank was much better, maybe even my kids Skylanders games are more absorbing

• 3 weeks later...

I've been streaming it!

Nowhere near finished yet, it's got plenty of faults when you compare to Banjo-Kazooie (I mention them as I encounter them), but nowhere near awful as some were suggesting. Regardless, still on World 2, plenty more to still see and do.

The music can't be praised enough, it's as good as I could have wanted.

The dialogue is the real heart of the game, speaking of which: warning - I laugh at pretty much every joke, it's excellent in the comedy department.

• 2 months later...

I put this aside for a while as I was starting to get a little tired of fighting the camera, & then Breath of the Wild dominated my attention.  After I'd surfaced sufficiently from Zelda to remember this however, I also found that there was going to be an update that would make general improvements to the experience, chief amongst which would be the camera & to allow you to skip quickly through conversations/cutscenes, 2 things I thought it really needed.

The update came out recently, so I decided to start the game from the beginning, & see how different it felt.

IMO it's a much more enjoyable game now.  The camera feels much smoother & more responsive, & this makes exploring, platforming & fighting much easier.  Also, being able to skip through the conversations allows me to appreciate the writing more.  I'm not sure how much they've tweaked the basic gameplay, but everything just seems to flow better now.

Before the update getting through the game felt a bit too much like hard work, but now I'm finding it much easier to just relax & enjoy the adventure like i did with the Banjo games of old.