IGNORED

Titanfall 2

Bleeders

26 minutes ago, King A said:

Already on, grab the trial from the store page.

I'm not sure how I feel, it feels a bit better than the beta, but it's still frustrating as hell for me. It's extremes, I usually have a REALLY bad round and want to put my controller through the screen when I'm regularly killed within 10 seconds of spawn, or I have a game with loads of cool kills sliding and jumping all over the place.

Then I got back to TF1 and love it instantly. Love the feeling of it, love the balance. I think the trial has just confirmed that the changes they have made have pulled away from the 1st one enough that I don't enjoy it as much.

EVERYONE thinks this for their first few games, but my thing with TF1 is that you have a great time every time you play it, but you've seen it all within one game so there's no real reason to keep coming back. In this they've nailed that sense of progression and different builds that just wasn't there for me in the first game. 

With TF2 you're doing new stuff all the time, and it takes a little while to get used to this. Seriously, keep going, I felt the same way to start with but once it clicks it's just leaps and bounds over anything I've seen in 1. 

It's the best multiplayer shooter ever made. 

@BitterToad Spot on. It's the granularity and choice of how you play that really elevates it above any other MP shooter for me. Overwatch is good fun but even with the huge roster of characters the way you can totally change your play style in this by just changing one aspect of your build is something else.

And the learning curve with the Titans is incredibly satisfying. For all my Tone love it feels like My First Titan now compared with how you have to play the others.

2 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

but my thing with TF1 is that you have a great time every time you play it, but you've seen it all within one game so there's no real reason to keep coming back.

This annoys me though. You shouldn't need a massive progression system to play games. The game should be good enough to have that just one more go feeling without having to dangle an unlock in front of you.

In BF 3 & 4 we used to have a good group of 6 that would play it religiously, hundreds of hours into both titles. Now BF1 has come out half of the guys have dropped out. They say they love the game and maps, but they're bored because they are not constantly unlocking stuff every game. We've lost half of our team because they're addicted to the feeling of unlocking guff, instead of enjoying the actual gameplay.

Just now, King A said:

This annoys me though. You shouldn't need a massive progression system to play games. The game should be good enough to have that just one more go feeling without having to dangle an unlock in front of you.

It's not the unlocks that keep me playing but when you do start mixing it up you realise how much depth there is.

2 minutes ago, King A said:

In BF 3 & 4 we used to have a good group of 6 that would play it religiously, hundreds of hours into both titles. Now BF1 has come out half of the guys have dropped out. They say they love the game and maps, but they're bored because they are not constantly unlocking stuff every game. We've lost half of our team because they're addicted to the feeling of unlocking guff, instead of enjoying the actual gameplay.

Yeah but if it's there it's a nice extra! Plus as Bizzle says (I should get that on a tea towel) it's the depth to everything that keeps you playing rather than the unlocks. "Oh what if I tried this setup, or mix up the grappling hook with an SMG/Shotgun, or a sniper and a cloak" which for the the first game lacked. 

4 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Yeah but if it's there it's a nice extra! Plus as Bizzle says (I should get that on a tea towel) it's the depth to everything that keeps you playing rather than the unlocks. "Oh what if I tried this setup, or mix up the grappling hook with an SMG/Shotgun, or a sniper and a cloak" which for the the first game lacked. 

@King A - as they're saying, it's not the progression through the unlocks - it's how slightly different builds give you different ways of playing. There's a reason there are ten different custom pilot slots.

41 minutes ago, King A said:

Trust me. I was totally with you on this. But seriously the builds are incredibly varied this time round and what worked for you on the last game probably won't on this one. Play some more. Mix things up because when this clicks it feels better in every way.

IMO OF COURSE. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Innit.

As someone who hasn't really played a twitchy FPS since MW2 I really like this. Unlike more traditional FPSes, this has a lot of freedom in how you approach fights. Not only the loadouts, choosing whether to bring a cloak or sonar, or whether you want to bring a Ronin or a Northstar to fight. But also with the freedom of movement which feels effortless. I'm used to FPS characters being largely limited to two dimensions, with this I can dash up and along walls, and I have to be aware of other players doing it too.

And you get great moments, such as jumping on a Titan, pulling out a power cell, and dashing off before it can bitch slap you. Or sliding into a room and emptying an smg into two characters as they spot you. Or throwing some ticks as you run for the extraction point, hearing the guy chasing you get blown up by them. Or watching an enemy Titan desperately try to put some distance between them and your Ronin as you phase shift towards it. The little touches, like the displays lighting up as you plug yourself in to the Titan, make the game feel really charming.

And the campaign, instead of being the generic "go here, kill this" routine that gets stuck on to most multiplayer FPSes as an afterthought. This one is well thought out, very nicely characterised, and features elements which add an extra dimension to the game over the multiplayer experience. Each level is memorable. Each has moments of brilliance, and each level stands out from the whole.

And no season pass. EA deserve to be rewarded for creating a great FPS game and not trying to milk their userbase by asking for an extra £40 to get a handful of extra maps over the next year. I was really pleased when they released the Garden Warfare games without additional purchases needed. I am doubly impressed that they have taken the same approach here, choosing not to fragment their online player base for some extra cash.

Plus, the game cost me £20 in the Black Friday sales. That is ridiculous.

Rodeo is now hit and run. This is offset bu the titans not having a regenerating shield. The only way to get a shield is to take a Titan battery and either rodeo a friendly titan and shove it in there (which gives you a massive boost to your titan build meter, hell you do that you cna probably call a titan down straight away) or get in your titan while carrying a battery.

There's also a boost you can use to get a battery. I use that when I call my titan in.

One thing that really took me by surprise was when I was first rodeo'ed by an enemy. My Titan had low health and I panicked, pulled the eject handle, and went shooting 100ft into the air...........along with the rodeoing enemy guy. There was a pause as we hung there for a moment, just sort of looking at each other in shocked surprise, before I quickly shot him. I've done it a few times now and it never stops being funny.

What options are there for dealing with rodeo-ers, apart from electric smoke, and getting out?  Can you catch them in nearby explosions from your own weapons?  I think I read somewhere that Scorch's Heat Shield can catch them as they jump off.  I don't want to rely on my useless* team-mates to deal with it...

*Generally not as useless as me... :( 

12 minutes ago, frumious said:

What options are there for dealing with rodeo-ers, apart from electric smoke, and getting out?  Can you catch them in nearby explosions from your own weapons?  I think I read somewhere that Scorch's Heat Shield can catch them as they jump off.  I don't want to rely on my useless* team-mates to deal with it...

*Generally not as useless as me... :( 

A quick melee before they jump on or when they jump off usually does the trick.

My current rollout for this to use that extra battery perk, earn the first one, plonk it in a friendly titan to quickly earn my Titan. I'm always getting batteries for my teammates, but no bugger does for me. Still, it gets me my Legion in who is a death dealer, easily the heaviest hitter and with a double dash boost it becomes a menace :twisted:

2 hours ago, frumious said:

Apparently you can hurt enemy boarders with weapon splash damage if you face a wall, although I haven't tried it myself. I'm guessing this wouldn't work with every Titan's weapon, though.

My own strategy is to simply pop electric smoke then crouch within it. Apparently that extra bit of height makes all the difference, as I've yet to have my attacker survive.

1 hour ago, Ferine said:

Apparently you can hurt enemy boarders with weapon splash damage if you face a wall, although I haven't tried it myself. I'm guessing this wouldn't work with every Titan's weapon, though.

My own strategy is to simply pop electric smoke then crouch within it. Apparently that extra bit of height makes all the difference, as I've yet to have my attacker survive.

It was a tactic people used in the first one, by looking at a wall and firing missiles into it, very annoying. Not seen it work in this one though, electric smoke pretty much does the job most of the time. 

1 hour ago, Varsity said:

It was a tactic people used in the first one, by looking at a wall and firing missiles into it, very annoying. Not seen it work in this one though, electric smoke pretty much does the job most of the time

With the proviso that the smoke is not charged when the Titan falls,  meaning that right after Titanfall is the perfect time to rodeo and steal that battery without fear of electrocution... 

Just a warning to you folks, buying skins on your US account won't mean they'll work on your UK account. Just tried it and i don't have access to them default_sad.png

PS4? I know Dlc etc has to be on same region on PS4.

Can be any mix of region on Xbox one. I wonder if that extends to skins on their.