rllmuk
Bleeders

Titanfall 2

It's not really Source any more though. They completely overhauled it. Regardless, it looks and runs great! Why should they move away from that architecture?

At its core, the Source engine is really just a heavily modified version of the Quake1 engine (in the same way that COD runs on a heavily modified Q3 engine).

It's not really Source any more though. They completely overhauled it. Regardless, it looks and runs great! Why should they move away from that architecture?

I'd imagine Titanfall II is being designed with DX12/Windows 10 in mind so we'd see quite a considerable upgrade to the game if they used as a base a modernised clean engine vs something which is already heavily adapted.

It’ll be interesting to see if they bother with a single player campaign mode this time round. Titanfall obviously did OK without one, but I’d like to know whether the very resource-intensive solo campaigns that Call of Duty ships with every year are actually justified by the sales figures.

Plus, I would love to play a single player game set in that world. It was beyond clichéd, but Respawn really seem to have a knack for making futuristic tech feel believably nasty and functional. The key parkour, smart pistols, and titan mechanics could work really well outside of MP, too.

It’ll be interesting to see if they bother with a single player campaign mode this time round. Titanfall obviously did OK without one

Did it though? There's less than 3k people (combining worldwide and "in your region") playing Titanfall right now on the PC. You have to wonder if the lack of a single player campaign hurt the sales. It didn't help that the multiplayer was arguably lacking in content at launch too.

They also need to get the size of the install down for Titanfall 2. It's taking up 63gb of space on my HD whcih is ludicrous. Dying Light takes up about 15gb and even MMOs like ESO and SW:TOR come in at around 30-45gb.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Did it though? There's less than 3k people (combining worldwide and "in your region") playing Titanfall right now on the PC. You have to wonder if the lack of a single player campaign hurt the sales. It didn't help that the multiplayer was arguably lacking in content at launch too.

They also need to get the size of the install down for Titanfall 2. It's taking up 63gb of space on my HD whcih is ludicrous. Dying Light takes up about 15gb and even MMOs like ESO and SW:TOR come in at around 30-45gb.

Well, it did OK enough to justify a sequel – that’s what I meant. If it had died on its arse, then I doubt EA would have been willing to fund Titanfall 2.

Low player numbers at this point don’t really mean a lot, I would say – Halo 4 had player numbers of low three figures for some playlists after about a year, and that game was a smash hit. Unless you get a market-disrupting new franchise, I thought that even really successful MP games could only really hope to lure players away from Team Fortress 2 / DOTA / Call of Duty etc for a few months.

I'm not convinced how good a single player mode would be, although it would be interesting in that it could expand the universe a bit. Maybe creating a few more story based multiplayer campaign missions could be the way forward - I thought those worked pretty well most of the time.

Indeed. I think they should go for a proper campaign or not bother at all. The half assed multiplayer campaign didn't really work the first time so I'd rather it didn't return for the sequel.

Not if it's a great story, develops the fiction so you feel more invested in what they've created and forms a more rounded IP.

Works for Halo.

At the moment it's a very fun, quick round MP game. I'm sure Zampella and crew would like to see it become a lot more than this.

The only reason they didnt do it last time was that they were a small studio and wanted to get a really polished MP game going.

Why not? Does it hamper your enjoyment of the multiplayer component knowing there's a single player campaign too?

Why would it hamper my enjoyment of the multi player?

Why not? Does it hamper your enjoyment of the multiplayer component knowing there's a single player campaign too?

It takes time and resource away from the multiplayer which is what this game is all about and the area they excel in.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Ah, that explains why the first launched with such a robust set of features.

Why would it hamper my enjoyment of the multi player?

That was my point. It's a bit selfish to say you don't want a single player when it makes no difference to you.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ah, that explains why the first launched with such a robust set of features.

That was my point. It's a bit selfish to say you don't want a single player when it makes no difference to you.

I thought it launched well (PC, no clue about the Xbox One version) and the core game remains pretty much identical now to how it was back then. Adding modes and game types over the following year was a fair strategy as far as I was concerned as it allowed time to experiment with game types as they were introduced rather than being overwhelmed with choice at the onset. I don;t think it was the developer adding things that should have been in at launch

I read your original question as being pointlessly facetious hence my equally facetious reply - of course a SP campaign wouldn't affect my enjoyment, or not, of the core MP component but, as others have since pointed out, I would rather the developer concentrate on refining the MP mode as that is the absolute core of the game. I've spent the best part of 300 hours playing Titanfall, of which maybe 2 or 3 were of the half arsed campaign, same as with any COD I've put time into, or BF, etc...

SP is just marketing so, whilst it'll get more players into the game for the publisher, I would be very happy to see the game launch without it..

• Upvote 3

I guess the reason I don't like playing multiplayer stuff online (or off for that matter) is that I really love the roleplaying aspect of games - getting into the whole universe and the background. Having a story weave itself around what I do. And that's a pretty personal thing - and I find that playing with other folk online destroys that sort of thing for me, mainly because they never 'get' the thing like I do (and I don't mean that in a snooty manner - it's like reading a book and you get images of what folk look like in your head, and they never match what other folk think!).

And there's always some utter bastard who is just in it to cause as much grief as possible.

I guess I'm just a selfish cunt who prefers a solitary gaming experience :(

• Upvote 4

I guess the reason I don't like playing multiplayer stuff online (or off for that matter) is that I really love the roleplaying aspect of games - getting into the whole universe and the background. Having a story weave itself around what I do. And that's a pretty personal thing - and I find that playing with other folk online destroys that sort of thing for me, mainly because they never 'get' the thing like I do (and I don't mean that in a snooty manner - it's like reading a book and you get images of what folk look like in your head, and they never match what other folk think!).

And there's always some utter bastard who is just in it to cause as much grief as possible.

I guess I'm just a selfish cunt who prefers a solitary gaming experience :(

I'm the total opposite. I almost never pay attention to cut scenes, exposition, etc. If there is a skip then I will skip.

There have been one or two exceptions to that rule of course with The Last Of Us being the last game where I invested time and attention to the story. That was a good one though..

There are plenty of other SP only games to scratch your itch though JoeK, I'd prefer the real IW / Respawn to concentrate on refining an already great MP experience into something even more, and focusing 100% on that. I don't want a large chuck of their dev team spending years on a 5 hour campaign, when the MP should / could last me 100's of hours of play time.

• Upvote 1

There are plenty of other SP only games to scratch your itch though JoeK, I'd prefer the real IW / Respawn to concentrate on refining an already great MP experience into something even more, and focusing 100% on that. I don't want a large chuck of their dev team spending years on a 5 hour campaign, when the MP should / could last me 100's of hours of play time.

Yeah, I know :)

I just remember seeing all the initial cut scene bits when the game was being previewed and thinking it just looked darn cool!

Yeah, I know :)

I just remember seeing all the initial cut scene bits when the game was being previewed and thinking it just looked darn cool!

It IS darn cool!

• Upvote 1