Titanfall 2

Bleeders

• 3 weeks later...

I made a start on the campaign - probably too early to comment (about to hunt for a second battery for the titan at the start) but oh jeez, the motion sickness. It had a worse effect on me than a lot of VR stuff did on first go. Probably cos I was madly attacking that gauntlet section in the training without hesitation, cos I had no ill effects during my previous multiplayer experience.

It seems like the game is supposed to be played fast like that though, so fingers crossed I can get through it without vomiting.

On 10/12/2019 at 22:22, pinholestar said:

the best FPS campaign of this generation.

It's very good and beautifully paced. Wolf TNO and Doom 2016's campaigns are better though.

It's kind of depressing to think how few high profile single player FPS there were this gen, but at least the ones we got were really good.

The checkpoint system seems dubious in this, I had a couple of near misses yesterday. On the first,  I returned to a section of the game where there is a big field of poison gas. My goal was on the far side, but over on the left was a mountain path I had originally arrived through. I wanted to search the mountains for collectibles, so I went through the poison gas in my Titan, dismounted and started jumping around in the mountain looking for hidden paths. Fell to my death. Respawned in the mountains, but my Titan respawned back at the gate on the other side of the poison gas. I had three failed attempts to get back to it, dying in the gas each time. Finally I was able to scrabble through at the edges, able to get just enough leverage on the rocks to get my head out of the gas before I died each time.

Second time I missed a landing at the top of a high platform which had a zip line leading to the next battle. I fell all the way down but then instead of dying I landed on a tiny ledge at the bottom of a cylindrical building, far from where I should be. Couldn't find a way up, so I suicided and got respawned in the exact same spot. I did find a way out of that but it felt like too close of a call - I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to finish this due to some glitched checkpoint.

23 minutes ago, artz said:

When you try to play on a different Windows profile Origin tells you to buy the game again.

How is that a 'complete con'?  That would be a different user to the one who purchased the game so why would/should they have the right to play it?

Also, it's not like £4.49 for one of the greatest SP and MP FPS games of all time is unreasonable.

I finished the campaign. I'm really not an FPS guy - think the last one I played was Killzone 3 but this didn't really feel much different? The story was far better presented but it played very much the same as games I've completed in the past.

Still I enjoyed it enough that I'm going to go for platinum. Made a start on that gauntlet in 33 seconds trophy - oh dear god, best I could do was 54 seconds lol. It also completely wrecked me with motion sickness after about ten attempts. I had to go to bed and lie down (had intended to watch the Expanse). Not sure how I'll ever be able to improve on my time if I can't make repeat runs without vomiting :(

Actually I'm still feeling the after effects this morning. Not been this bad since Wipeout VR.

I've taken a break from that gauntlet trophy - although I have been able to complete the course at the required speed on 2 occasions, that was without trying to hit any of the enemies (so 30 seconds of penalty added). Also, that's only 2 out of about 50 attempts.

I decided to go through the game on Master which would hopefully increase my affinity for the controls a bit anyway. This mode has made every battle into an epic confrontation, thankfully it checkpoints mid-fight sometimes so its possible to gain ground little by little. The fight I'm most scared of is that shoot-out in the elevator lobby with all the shield captains. That killed me a dozen times on regular mode, and it's coming up soon.

I am currently wearing a 24hr portable ECG recorder thingy to try and identify a medical issue. I also have to write down the times of daily events like eating, going to the toilet, walking to the train, exercising, drinking alcohol etc. There's a little book with the categories printed in it. I foolishly decided to play Titanfall 2 last night, and it's probably going to be hard to explain to the Japanese doctors what happened to my heart rate for two hours before going to bed :/

I went through the satellite dish fixing mission from start to finish on Master mode. There was one section that I swear was the hardest FPS thing I've ever done. You have to cross a wide area of platforms and cylindrical warehouses; it's basically a multiplayer map of it's own. There are enemies on rooftops on the other side of the map that will headshot you, enemies on every platform that will close combat kill you the second you set foot on their turf, and a big fuck-off Reaper dropped in right at the start who makes a beeline straight for you, and pelts you with exploding ticks if you try and hide from it. I checkpointed with only 20 shots left in my energy weapon (the only thing that would hurt the Reaper effectively) and a shotgun. The only guns available near my spawn point were sniper rifles (which if I tried to pick up would see me face to face with the Reaper in short order).

I tried everything, but in the end all I could do was run screaming as fast as I could to the other side, staying mobile and hoping the Reaper didn't land on my head. This ended with me activating a new checkpoint in a cul-de-sac with a crane, where none of the regular enemies could reach me - but the Reaper and I were stuck together. I had to stay in his LOS to avoid the Ticks being sent out, but if I stood on his level he had space to smash me into the floor, so I had to balance on top of a tiny crate thing and try to dodge the constant barrage of energy bolts he kept flinging at me. I died over and over again, until one attempt where after a few successful shotgun blasts to it's midsection, it just stood there and took the rest. It took all but two of my remaining shotgun ammo to get him to explode.

I felt a bit guilty about the way that went down so I backtracked to try and kill the regular enemies now that the larger threat was gone. In the process I found an energy ball rocket launcher thing, that had been hidden in a closet next to my original spawn point. :/

5 hours ago, Down by Law said:

This is me doing the gauntlet trophy, i fluffed up the start (got caught in my own stun grenade) but if you manage the jumps you can still make the time.

Sweet, I'm massively jealous. I've watched a few video examples, most seem to stick to the right hand wall in the first room, but I did find it easier to head over to the left as you did. On the other hand it makes taking out the enemies harder (for me). I'm basically having trouble keeping my average speed up. I noticed that I always scrub speed off when I do the second part of a double jump and I think it's because I'm pushing the direction stick - I tested leaving the stick neutral and the speed stays high, but 90% of the time I will miss the wall I'm aiming for if I do that.

I may not be an experienced FPS player, but my use of grenades is not as sloppy as that.

Since a significant chunk of available gaming time is spent warming up and getting into the groove for a serious attempt I decided to warm up tonight while my kids were in the bath (knowing that I could be interrupted at any time) so that when they finally go to bed I could get straight to the task at hand.

I fluked it on one of the practice runs with 33.60, yeeeHAAAAAAAA!!!!

Actually I did whiff a grenade throw and had to break from the routine with an unplanned shotgun blast, so I was really not taking it as a serious run at all. Beating that time was totally unthinkable 20 days ago when I started playing - back then I made myself feel unwell just trying to get a 58 second time. Practice works!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just played this off the back of a fairly begrudging playthrough of Assassin's Creed Unity. And it was absolutely AMAZING. I'd only ever played the intro time trial run through and didn't like how crap I was it and thought I wouldn't get on with the main game as a result, but how wrong I was. Enthralling and exhilarating. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...