Bleeders

Titanfall 2

As did Gears 3 - tumbleweed city after a couple of months and that was one of MS's biggest titles running on dedicated servers too. In the Warzone playlist there were often less than 10 people playing in Europe. By comparison Titanfall is wall-to-wall.

I never understood that - I didn't play it nearly as much as 2 but I can't think why now maybe it was too late in the 360 cycle and we were playing less MP. Was the first one with dedi servers which should've been enough but I do remember TDM being massively busy and it was shit - Gears is all about warzone and execution.

The main point of the article was that even a year on Titanfall is a bloody good fun game whether it's servers are populated by 2 or 2 million. 

Like, I dunno, DRIVECLUB?

• Upvote 4

Yeah I wouldn't really like to compare it to Destiny (although it does have the crucible) but I was struggling to think of anything else. Just to include this from my previous post, as I think it was missed: Actually, what other shooters are there? If we ignore CoD, BF, TF2, the aforementioned Destiny and presumably CS as well. Is it good that Titanfall has by far the lowest numbers out of the big shooters? Or doesn't it count as a big shooter?

This isn't going to help my case but wasn't Halo 4 a bit of a marmite game? I haven't played it so I can't say but I thought that some people felt it was a bit disappointing.

Well, it’s probably not done as well as EA and Respawn hoped – it’s not doing the CoD / Halo numbers they would have wanted from a console-exclusive, launch period SF FPS from ex-Infinity Ward people – but you can always get a game in a few seconds and they’re doing a sequel. So from the perspective of the players and the publisher, it’s doing OK. I don’t know what else you’d want from a game like this.

• Upvote 1

I never understood that - I didn't play it nearly as much as 2 but I can't think why now maybe it was too late in the 360 cycle and we were playing less MP. Was the first one with dedi servers which should've been enough but I do remember TDM being massively busy and it was shit - Gears is all about warzone and execution.

Yeah, I think it was the combination of TDM and Call of Duty. By the time Gears 3 launched TDM had become massively popular on console via CoD, and so instead of playing to Gears core strengths, Epic added TDM, which inevitably attracted the interest of the CoD-playing crowd, turning the other playlists into a wasteland.

Plus, as you say, TDM in Gears was shit, given the game's cover-shooter and power weapon control mechanics. People stopped any sort of tactical play and 1 vs 5 comebacks disappeared, because if one team pulled far enough ahead they would just rambo around and win by attrition.

A Gears 1 or 2 (preferably 1) update with dedicated servers would be amazing. I spent so many hours playing that game online with friends - no other online game has ever come close to recapturing those days for me.

• Upvote 2

Respawn Teases Titanfall 2

The next Titanfall game will deliver "a lot of stuff that people are going to be excited about," according to developer Respawn Entertainment. The studio's community manager, Abbie Heppe, spoke briefly about the new project in a wide-ranging interview recently with The EXL Podcast.

Though she wouldn't talk about specifics, which you can understand since the game isn't even officially announced yet, Heppe did outline how working on a sequel comes with a number of advantages.

"The really nice thing about working on a sequel is we have established the core of what Titanfall is," she said. "We have assets, we have an engine, we have all of these things that we laid the foundation for in the first game that now we can really build off of in the second. So I think there's going to be a lot of stuff that people are going to be excited about. And that's all I can say."

Asked about the possibility for the next Titanfall game to have a traditional campaign mode and more variety in weapons, Heppe said, "We've definitely heard the feedback."

Last month, Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella confirmed that the studio had started work on a "multiplatform" Titanfall sequel, suggesting it will come to both Xbox and PlayStation platforms. He also said at the time that Respawn had formed a second internal team to work on "small, exploratory" projects.

So it appears they're still using the same engine? I certainly hope so. Optimized as can be!

Titanfall 2 due out in 2016, according to toymaker

Titanfall 2 is going to get an officially-licensed line of action figures, and it’s coming this year.

titanfall_3

EA has yet to announce a date for Titanfall 2, though it did confirm the game is releasing before March 2017. According to toy manufacturer McFarlane, however, it’s coming this winter.

The toymaker announced a new licensing deal (via ToyArk) that would allow it to release a new set of action figures in conjunction with the game’s release.

The company did not show any concept designs, but the official product page clearly mentions a winter 2016 release. The new figures will be seven-inches tall, and come in the company’s new collector box design.

When contacted by Gamespot, the publisher said, “MacFarlane Toys will be releasing toys inspired by Titanfall in Winter of 2016.

“We have yet to provide a release date for the next Titanfall experience from Respawn.”

E3 this year should be a good place for an announcement in either case.

Easily one of my most anticipated games of 2016 (fingers crossed!) Compared to other multiplayer shooters the first game felt rather lightweight in terms of features, especially in the social department and party stuff. I don't care much for the addition of singleplayer but I'm not complaining that we're getting one though. All I want is the exact same engine, as it ran incredibly well, with maybe a few new bells and whistles added and some more in-depth multiplayer features as well and I'm sorted! 

• Upvote 1

That looks like the same engine as the first game which is great for us PC folk. In some way I wouldn't mind the next CoD to be another stinker by IW just so I can spend all my free shooty-shoot time on this game. 

EDIT: Ya boy VN1X had some fun with TF. ;)

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, macosx said:

Wonder how this is going to work without the power of the cloud on PS4.

Same as it does on Xbox. Microsoft have their servers available for anyone to use.

Apparently it's looking like the Titans will be running along walls as well if the background on the official site is to be believed.

hero-1-desktop.jpg

Seems a bit too ridiculous? I mean, big mechs dropping from the sky, dashing all over the place and able to pick a pilot out of the sky to then put it inside its innards? That I can believe... but running along walls? That's where I draw the line.

That Titan's just leaning on the wall nonchalantly.

Really looking forward to seeing what the single player campaign is like.  The original was one of those occasions where I played hours of the beta and then barely touched the full game after installing it. I think there may have been a week or so of really long wait times for lobbies on PC, or something along those lines, which put me off it but a good solid sci-fi SP campaign is just what I'm after!

Our Gaf neighbours are already in full detective mode:

QeXseCO.png

R2X1? Revision 2 Xbox One? Xbox 1.5 confirmed

---

Hang on, what if MOB1316 means the following:

MOB = Multiplayer Online/Open Beta

1316 = Could we see a beta in June at E3? Reveal is 12th of June. MS conference is 13th. E3 finishes 16th.

I have to agree it means something. Surely the PS4/X1/PC thing can't be a coincidence? 

*whispers* Guys you know those cute plebs in the BF1 and CoDIW threads? They have no idea that TiFa2 is going to be the new king of shooters lol!

gvATOTq.gif

• Upvote 1

Blimey, this BF1 and Modern Warfare remaster, that's all I'm playing this festive season then! :lol: 

Hopefully we will get a big E3 reveal for this.

Why put it out in the same quater as Battlefield? The last one was amazing but didn't hold people's attention, why stick it out to die in the busiest season of the year, alongside another of your big shooters?

Totally stoked for this by the way, the first is still the most 'fun' of all the major shooters this gen. 

16 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Why put it out in the same quater as Battlefield? The last one was amazing but didn't hold people's attention, why stick it out to die in the busiest season of the year, alongside another of your big shooters?

It's different from BF. I don't think their plan is to 'stick it out to die' at all, it's meant to be competition for COD and EA are planning to build it as a franchise, with merchandising such as toys being made by McFarlane.

I also wouldn't say it didn't hold peoples attention, it was more to do with timing and console exclusivity.

To me the issue isn't about the games being different or not - it is about time. ROTR is nothing like Fallout 4 - but launching as another popular time sink does rob you of sales. Realistically a lot of people won't have time to dedicate to more than one FPS - especially if they're also going to be playing any single player stuff that comes out around that time. Titanfall 2/COD 4 Remaster and Battlefield 1 all around the same time period means there is only so much time people have available and are forced to choose because of that. Some difficult decisions are going to have to be made! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Uzi Temp said:

To me the issue isn't about the games being different or not - it is about time. ROTR is nothing like Fallout 4

and I was all "wuh? Rise of the Robots?"

then I got it...

Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 will release three weeks from one another

Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 will release three weeks from one another

EA has yet to reveal the release date for Titanfall 2, but we do know it’s releasing in the same period as Battlefield 1.

How close? Well, according to EA CFO Blake Jorgensen, the two shooters are releasing three weeks from each other. Specifically, Jorgensen told Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Technology Conference attendees that Titanfall 2 will be out three weeks from Battlefield 1, but did not say if that means before or after.

Battlefield 1 comes out October 21, which means Titanfall 2 will be out between September 30 and November 11.

Jorgensen also reiterated earlier comments that EA is not worried about releasing the two games so close to each other, though he did say EA is “not uncomfortable with” going against Call of Duty.

With BF1 looking to be a sure fire hit I'm really hoping Titanfall 2 won't get left in the dust. If they can match even half of the content and unlocks of Black Ops 3 then surely even most ardent CoD fanboys would be willing to make the jump to Respawn Entertainment's latest title?