Dumbo live-action remake by Tim Burton

19 hours ago, Nick R said:

Making fun of Tim Burton for repeating things is like shooting (big) fish in a barrel, but I like Honest Trailers' summary of his filmography:

Like all old men - Spielberg, Scott, nobody is immune - there comes a time when they lose the plot. But anyone dumb enough to think they can laugh at his output in totality truly knows fuck all about movies

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don’t understand the need for remaking all these classic Disney films. 

I've not seen any of them, but I've heard that some of the Broadway shows improve on the original films, by doing things like rebalancing where the songs/reprises are placed, or tweaking certain characters' roles. I've heard some persuasive suggestions that a lot of Frozen's flaws could be significantly improved by the sort of changes a stage production brings. (If ever there was a musical that front-loads it's songs...)

In those cases, there's an argument that filming a live-action version of the story, incorporating the stage version's improvements, is a worthwhile artistic activity.

But Dumbo is not one of those cases. So your answer is: $$$

2 hours ago, linkster said:

Like all old men - Spielberg, Scott, nobody is immune - there comes a time when they lose the plot. But anyone dumb enough to think they can laugh at his output in totality truly knows fuck all about movies

I think they're laughing at Burton's reused elements, but not in any way diminishing his best films that made good use of them.

4 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I think they're laughing at Burton's reused elements, but not in any way diminishing his best films that made good use of them.

Nature of the beast. Every director has signatures - made late watching Empire of the Sun v interesting for me lately

my favourite was Clement and La Frenais ghost writing Sean Connery movie The Rock and lifting a gag straight from Porridge

8 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

In live action, I mean. Seems a really poor fit for them. 

I think there needs to be a really honest conversation about Hollywood among film lovers. 

They are cinematic cancer. They are the enemy. The rest of the world are trying to use the medium of cinema to find a human truth and an emotional resonance. Hollywood are trying to rape your emotions for a dollar. 

6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I think there needs to be a really honest conversation about Hollywood among film lovers. 

They are cinematic cancer. They are the enemy. The rest of the world are trying to use the medium of cinema to find a human truth and an emotional resonance. Hollywood are trying to rape your emotions for a dollar. 

Preaching to the generation that gets upset when an overgrown California raisin clicks its fingers

I actually mostly enjoyed that. Got more laughs in busy screening than average big budget movie.

The set pieces are extremely well done and there are lots of them. The script has its heart in the right place and there are some very nice sentiments expressed however I did find the child casting a fail - the girl especially incapable of delivering a single convincing line. She had a blank automaton look that clearly appealed to Burton but somewhat undermined the impact of ‘I prefer science to being gawked at by the world’ (eg these opinions are for weirdos)

Devito was grand, but Keaton who I adore was chewing the scenery which is crazy cos he should have easily covered a role like this, Eva Green didn’t follow the arc I expected which was cool

Also liked the obvious anti Disney sentiment running through it - Im surprised he got away with it

i did find one bit really misjudged- that twat Michael Buffer doing a version of his intensely annoying “lets get ready to rumble” that would be completely lost on most of the young audience

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:00, linkster said:

Preaching to the generation that gets upset when an overgrown California raisin clicks its fingers

But what generation is that?

On the assumption that a lot of us on here are in our 30s/40s then our generation is also those that grew up on Star Wars and BTTF and Die Hard and Indiana Jones, etc.

Or are we talking about people in their 20's?

Or kids/teenagers - our equivilants in the 80's/early 90's?

12 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

But what generation is that?

On the assumption that a lot of us on here are in our 30s/40s then our generation is also those that grew up on Star Wars and BTTF and Die Hard and Indiana Jones, etc.

Or are we talking about people in their 20's?

Or kids/teenagers - our equivilants in the 80's/early 90's?

I’ve no idea how the demographics break down. But the films are emotionally highly manipulative, contrived and staggeringly profitable. Maybe it’s not generational, maybe it’s sociological. There’s a line in The Queen that always reasonated, bearing in mind that’s a guilty pleasure and not in any sense to be confused with real life, but she’s unable to comprehend why the newspapers demand signs of grief instead of good old British stoicism in response to Diana’s death and she ponders “something’s changed - some shift in values.” It genuinely does come across like movies & TV just play for disposable feels now rather than anything of substance. I don’t even mean Dumbo, I mean “oh noes they are all dead” followed by a post credits in which no they are not really 

• 2 weeks later...

Took my daughter to this today expecting absolute rubbish. I haven't enjoyed a Tim Burton film since Big Fish, but this was superb. Darker than expected and lots of heart. I thought all performances were decent (even Colin Farell who I normally detest), and the look of the film was amazing. Pretty subversive too for a Disney film. 

19 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Took my daughter to this today expecting absolute rubbish. I haven't enjoyed a Tim Burton film since Big Fish, but this was superb. Darker than expected and lots of heart. I thought all performances were decent (even Colin Farell who I normally detest), and the look of the film was amazing. Pretty subversive too for a Disney film. 

Exactly what I thought, and I adore Big Fish too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's ok. DeVito was good value (as always) and Keaton *almost* carried off the bad guy role. Dreamland looked amazing, but... It lacked something for me. Almost too many characters crammed in to care about.

• 1 year later...

After a few seconds of me and my daughter getting quite confused as to who we were talking about it dawned on me this film has two Penguins.

Not to mention a few other comic book movie character actors.