rllmuk
Yoshimax

Rock Band 4

I'm not trying to fan flames or anything, but absolutely nothing about this is enticing me at the moment. The songs announced so far have got me shrugging at best, maybe Scandal or Death From Above 1979 (and their song is a bonus one as well) are okay but that's it. The new features haven't been effectively presented (or at least, they're difficult to present) and there's no online or practice modes announced. The latest news about Mad Katz's inevitable demise isn't assuring either.

Wait until you hear about Amplitude...

(the people in charge of the "song selection" part (who got there through high KS donations) are mostly picking some absolute shite, described by someone as "meme rock")

Must be some publishing deal they've struck with Harmonix if they're willing to borrow that much to get RB4 off the ground. It'd have to be 50/50 or so right? There's probably more risk to Mad Catz than Harmonix if it turkeys thinking about it. Software is software but a tonne of worldwide plastic tat is tough for any business to deal with. I'm conveniently not thinking about the human element if it tanks, by the way. I'm aware and not being heartless, I promise.

This is the reason they are borrowing the money I assume, they take on all the inventory risk of making a mountain of plastic/paying for marketing and are the only company who seemed willing to take a punt on publishing the game physically, as Harmonix are self-publishing digitally. It should also be noted that Harmonix lost their previous owner a shitload of money making the previous games. Only Activision and Ubisoft to a lesser extent ever made money from the plastic instrument craze.

San Diego – April 21, 2015 – Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. (“Mad Catz”) (NYSE MKT/TSX: MCZ) announced today an extension of their agreement with Harmonix Music Systems, Inc. (“Harmonix”) to co-publish Rock Band 4, the next generation of the award-winning social and interactive music-gaming platform.

Due for release in 2015 for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Mad Catz will handle global retail sales, promotion and distribution of the Rock Band 4 game and hardware bundles, while Harmonix will handle all digital sales and content. In addition to co-publishing the game, Mad Catz is developing a new generation of Rock Band 4 wireless music game controllers that will give players the chance to rock as the biggest guitarists, bassists, drummers and singers of all time.

They've announced more things!

jCi19t5.jpg

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

The Cure - Friday I'm in Love

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 1 - The Miracle and the Sleeper

Foo Fighters - The Feast and the Famine

Judas Priest - Halls of Valhalla

Live - All Over You

The Outfield - Your Love

Ozzy Osbourne - Miracle Man

Paramore - Still Into You

St. Vincent - Birth in Reverse

Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl

Yeah

Hmmm. Starting to feel that RB4's playlist is not going to be for me after all. :/

E: I wonder if it's because they've ditched the keyboards that they're looking for more 'straight up' rock and roll? I say that having not properly dissected the playlist for RB3 and RB4 (or what's been announced so far). I guess there's still going to be another 40 odd tracks at least to excite me...

Wish I knew - my Rickenbacker has an issue with the main yellow fret, making it rather unreliable. It's the reason why I'll buy RB4 with a new guitar, despite having three of the buggers sitting here.

On the instrument front, Harmonix have stated that ION and midi drum kits won't be supported at launch, which is largely disappointing. My original plastic kit had broken so I chucked it when the ION arrived, meaning no drums for me on RB4 for the time being. Mind you, I haven't played the drums for three years, despite having got a lot of Rock Band in in that time. My current flat isn't really suitable for hosting a get together, either. Hopefully there'll be a solution by the time I move, which would be next year at the earliest.

It's not too long before it's time to make a big financial decision...

1) Buy the game + guitar on PS4 for £110, then cherry-pick some of my old favourite DLC to re-buy from the store, hoping not to exceed £100-worth. This will be a fraction of the content I used to have on Xbox 360.

2) Buy the game + guitar on XB1 for £110. Buy an XB1 for £250-£300. All my DLC and game licenses from the Xbox 360 days will be sat there waiting. Full experience. Empty bank account.

3) Fuck it, I'm not made of money, I can't afford this shit. I'm not even sure if this relaunch of the genre will be successful

New songs. Hmmm.

ROCK BAND 4 ANNOUNCED SONGS

TITLE ARTIST

Whats Up? 4 Non Blondes

Toys in the Attic Aerosmith

Hail to the King Avenged Sevenfold

Violent Shiver Benjamin Booker

Fever The Black Keys

Friday I'm In Love The Cure

Prayer Disturbed

Metropolis - Part 1 The Miracle And The Sleeper Dream Theater

Knock Em Down Duck & Cover

Albert Eddie Japan

Suspicious Minds Elvis Presley

Centuries Fall Out Boy

You Make Loving Fun Fleetwood Mac

The Feast and the Famine Foo Fighters

I Miss The Misery Halestorm

Kick It Out Heart

I Am Electric Heavens Basement

Lazaretto Jack White

Halls Of Valhalla Judas Priest

Somebody Told Me The Killers

Dream Genie Lightning Bolt

All Over You Live

Uptown Funk Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars

Your Love The Outfield

Miracle Man Ozzy Osbourne

Still Into You Paramore

My God Is The Sun Queens of the Stone Age

Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo Rick Derringer

A Passage To Bangkok Rush

The Warrior Scandal

No One Like You Scorpions

Light The Fuse Slydigs

Dead Black (Heart of Ice) Soul Remnants

Little Miss Cant Be Wrong Spin Doctors

Birth In Reverse St. Vincent

Spiders System of a Down

Brown Eyed Girl Van Morrison

At Night In Dreams White Denim

The Seeker The Who

Of the ones announced today I'm interested in two - 4 Non Blondes and White Denim. Loooooooooove White Denim.

• Upvote 2

Holy fuck!

At Night In Dreams was one of the songs I requested on their site so I'm taking full responsibility for that one. You can all thank me later.

Option 2. How much did you spend on DLC, roughly?

I would have spent less than £100 on regular DLC. But the biggest chunk of my collection was the licenses for all the games -- RB1, RB2, Lego, Green Day -- I bought each one on disc brand new, then imported the licenses into DLC each time that was possible.

I'm not sure if RB1/RB2/Lego/Green Day songs are even available as regular DLC, so that makes them kind of valuable.

Green Day is available as separate DLC, the other three games aren't. However, as Harmonix are saying that those licenses will transfer, it's possible that they'll try to relicense those tracks for individual download as well. Just speculation on my part though.

Apart from SOAD 'Spiders' there isn't anything on that list that interest me. Reading that the ION kit isn't supported either has dented my enthusiasm somewhat for this, might be one for later on.

Alas, Harmonix are American, and have always been focussed that way, as has been evident, thanks to Van Halen, since at least Guitar Hero II with this beauty:

"As made famous by Van Halen" my arse.