rllmuk
Yoshimax

Rock Band 4

Anyone found anything out about the 30 songs for pre-order stuff they're talking about?

Also, considering the thing that was mentioned in the MS speech (I'm being cryptic in case anyone is waiting to watch it later) I'm pretty much thinking that a Bone is the way to go. Saves me a pretty penny on DLC again if I do... Just need them to get super cheap before RB4 drops...

I must say I'm fairly underwhelmed by the 11 or so tracks that have been announced so far. I'm still hype for the game don't get me wrong but yeah, not exactly blown away at this stage. Still, four months left for more exciting reveals so it's still good...

With over 600 songs in my existing catalogue, the on-disc tracks have become largely incidental. It's the return of regular DLC I'm hyped for.

That said, there's a lot of stuff on Rock Band games that I've never heard before or never given much attention and ended up loving, so I never worry too much if the soundtrack contains stuff like that. I'll keep the judgement for how it plays.

Unless they announce Sigur Rós, at which point I'll be all :omg:

Anyone found anything out about the 30 songs for pre-order stuff they're talking about?

Also, considering the thing that was mentioned in the MS speech (I'm being cryptic in case anyone is waiting to watch it later) I'm pretty much thinking that a Bone is the way to go. Saves me a pretty penny on DLC again if I do... Just need them to get super cheap before RB4 drops...

Here's the list, which is four new/(timed?) exclusive songs and 30 Harmonix-affiliated tracks with a smattering of old RB songs and a few from the original Amplitude.

• Upvote 1

Just watched some of the latest Harmonix Show where they talked about freestyle guitar solos and they sound kind of interesting.

You can see the explanation by going here and skipping to about 7:12 - basically the five buttons at the top of the neck give you five tones and then the five further down give you five higher tones, but if you downstrum you get a normal note and if you upstrum the note bends, and if you hold multiple buttons it autoplays a lick that's automatically in time with the song. The lick can then be played faster if you strum with a faster rhythm, and there are other little features that are explained in the video. It could be a nice way of doing some freestyle noodling without having to actually be proficient with equivalent stuff on a real guitar. :)

I dug my 360 out yesterday to play some RB3 to get in the mood for RB4. I've never really put a huge amount of effort into these games before though. I can cane almost every song in easy and last time I played I'd done some warmup difficulty stuff in medium. Then I stopped because the shite at the lower end of the difficulty scale isn't anything I want to play.

Today I thought fuck it and started a practice session on some Iron Maiden. If I can't learn to play that on medium there's no point. Well chuffed that a few hours later I got myself a 99%.

The difficulty curve for beginners doesn't really work though. Virtually the whole of easy has you doing nothing but the same three buttons and doesn't have enough notes to make it much of a challenge even for beginners. So by the end of playing all the stuff on easy you're not actually ready to tackle anything on medium. I think as you work your way up the tiers of songs on easy they should start introducing the blue and orange notes so that by nightmare the entire song is using all five notes (Albeit at a slower pace). The biggest change between easy and medium is the addition of the extra two colours but easy doesn't do anything to gradually introduce you to that. There's nothing wrong with using the practice mode of course but I feel it should certainly be possible to design a difficulty curve to let you do a lot of that naturally over regular gameplay. All easy does at the moment is teach bad habits.

So I have a 99% on bass for the Trooper. Now to try lead. It's fun.

• Upvote 1

At some point during the RB3 DLC, they switched from Easy mode having just three frets to using all five.

Only for a very tiny amount of notes per song though isn't it? It always felt for me more of a cheap way of making someone fuck up during a solo rather than an effort to help them get better

I've knocked down to a lower tier of song at the moment. Trying lead for Headphones on by Miranda Cosgrove on medium. Trying the intro over and over again trying to get it to feel comfortable. Slow going.

I always wished there could be a sort of hybrid difficulty between Hard and Expert, for songs where the solo is much harder than the rest of the track. For the most part, riffs would use the full note patterns from the Expert version of the song - but when it arrived at the solo, it would drop it down to the version from the difficulty below.

Jimi Hendrix's Manic Depression is a good example. On Expert, the main riff contains loads of little hammer ons to represent grace notes, which make the riff really fun to play, but the Hard version strips it down to just the main beats, which is nowhere near as fun. Unfortunately, if you play on expert, you also to cope with the bit in the solo at 1:56, which is the sort of pattern that always has been, and probably always will be, way beyond me:

• Upvote 1

Yeah. It's a particularly brutal transition from Medium to Hard on Pro Keys, where it suddenly goes from two-note chords in a static section of the track, to three-note chords with the track sliding left and right AND everything much faster too. It's much more fun on Hard because you get more notes, but the learning curve is practically vertical.

I'm still gutted that Rock Band 4 doesn't support keyboards. What with the other news coming out about it - no online multiplayer at launch, no cross-platform DLC, adaptors to use your old instruments and so on - I've cooled on the game considerably. However I do it, it'll be an investment of hundreds of pounds to replicate an experience that I've already pretty much got on RB3, and it's only the prospect of more DLC (which may or may not be to my tastes anyway) that's still tempting me to make the jump. Much as I adore the series, I might end up sticking with the more fully-featured last-gen version after all.

I concur with Nick R about the idea of a hybrid difficulty. I wonder if the solo system that's being introduced in the new game will help in that regard, though there's an awful lot to be said about playing the solo as it's charted than freestyling it every time just to avoid dropped notes.

• Upvote 1

Seems Madcatz are in financial trouble - putting it mildly.

Shamelessly nicked from NeoGaf:

Mad Catz’s new funding amounts to $30 million in two pieces. One element is a $20 million line of credit that will increase to $35 million from September 1 through December 31, 2015, in order to ship Rock Band 4. The other $10 million is secured funding to Mad Catz Europe (a wholly-owned subsidiary). That funding is termed at three years, but can be canceled by the lender with three months notice.

Mad Catz has reported that the opinion letter for its independent audit carries concerns over the company’s ability to pay its debts. An audit opinion letter, a document prepared by the independent auditor as a narrative accompaniment to the financial assessment, includes what is known as a “going concern” note.

This happens when a company is at risk of defaulting on its debt obligations. Mad Catz’s 2016 success hinges on the performance of Rock Band 4 (via co-publishing agreement with Harmonix), according to form 10-K filed with the SEC on June 25.

Does this mean you could potentially buy a whole new kit, only to find if it breaks that there is no one there to replace it? makes me wary.

Mad Catz have essentially bet their future on this game being a hit, to the extent they are willing to borrow a fair whack to get it out of the door.

They were the company who've been the supplier of instruments to the series for a while, Activision uses somebody else to supply their plastic instruments.

Well I'm still buying the whole band-in-a-box on PS4, unless something goes majorly tits up beforehand, got to support them and hopefully it'll do well.

I'll never forget getting RB1 from the US via j.m.ratkos (?) through this very forum, despite the price tag (£350 or something stupid) it was absolutely amazeballs. While I'm sure it won't be the same with RB4, having a daughter to enjoy it with this time makes me equally excited!

• Upvote 2

Mad Catz have essentially bet their future on this game being a hit, to the extent they are willing to borrow a fair whack to get it out of the door.

They were the company who've been the supplier of instruments to the series for a while, Activision uses somebody else to supply their plastic instruments.

Oh crap... the one thing I thought about this is that its nice bit of fan service to people like me still playing Rock Band 3 but I dont think it'll reignite the plastic instrument market.

So maybe buy a new guitar to go with my other two and hopefully have enough spares when madcatz go under.

What else do Mad Catz do though? Clearly they manufacture arcade sticks for fighting games but what else do they make outside of RB?

Must be some publishing deal they've struck with Harmonix if they're willing to borrow that much to get RB4 off the ground. It'd have to be 50/50 or so right? There's probably more risk to Mad Catz than Harmonix if it turkeys thinking about it. Software is software but a tonne of worldwide plastic tat is tough for any business to deal with. I'm conveniently not thinking about the human element if it tanks, by the way. I'm aware and not being heartless, I promise.

I binned my other drum kit due to space really, i have enough guitars/microphones etc so i doubt i'd need to buy any of the equipment.

However, i don't have a xbox one so chances are i'll just keep playing the 360 version with all the songs (and customs) i have.

My mate is getting RB4 on the X1, so i expect ill just play it round there. He wasn't too happy you have to buy it with a Guitar though. Seems kinda dumb.

I'm not trying to fan flames or anything, but absolutely nothing about this is enticing me at the moment. The songs announced so far have got me shrugging at best, maybe Scandal or Death From Above 1979 (and their song is a bonus one as well) are okay but that's it. The new features haven't been effectively presented (or at least, they're difficult to present) and there's no online or practice modes announced. The latest news about Mad Katz's inevitable demise isn't assuring either.

• Upvote 1