Yoshimax

Rock Band 4

Day 1

And I'm okay with the Xbone ending up as the Rock Band box if DLC isn't cross-platform. In fact I can see Microsoft betting/influencing for it for extra sales as I knew fuck all anyone that invested into the PS3 versions.

It's a good point to remember that we won't get all our owned stuff from the off, though.

Hopefully the genre can survive the inevitable 17 iterations of Guitar Hero that Activision are furiously planning for 2016.

"Has anyone suggested 'Guitar Hero: One Direction'?"

"GIVE YOURSELF A PROMOTION."

Last gen count:

Harmonix games: 7 full-price titles (GH2, RB1, RB2, RB3, Beatles, Lego, GreenDay), plus AC/DC and other track packs, plus that £££ "pro-instrument" bullshit that they tried to pull.

Activision games: 9 full-price titles (GH3, GHWT, GH5, GHWOR, Aerosmith, Metallica, VanHalen, Hits, BandHero)

I think they were both guilty of going overboard a little bit.

EDIT: Thanks, 1812!

My immediate excitement has subdued a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled this is being made, because the alternative is "no more Rock Band", but the idea of paying hundreds of pounds for a worse version of a game that's already just about perfect (RB3) isn't filling me with the NEEDWANTS now that I think it about it properly.

Unless the unannounced secret features turn out to be mind-blowing, RB4 is now just something that I'll probably pick up if/when I get a next-gen console, rather than something I need to get one for. When I'm ready to retire the keyboard and consign The Beatles to the cupboard, it's conforting to know there will be a partial next-gen option, but that's about it right now.

I guess it does feel a bit like 2007 all over again, except I've already been there. At least let there be harmonies. Please don't take away the harmonies!!

Last gen count:

Harmonix games: 6 full-price titles (GH2, RB1, RB2, RB3, Beatles, Lego), plus AC/DC and other track packs, plus that £££ "pro-instrument" bullshit that they tried to pull.

Activision games: 9 full-price titles (GH3, GHWT, GH5, GHWOR, Aerosmith, Metallica, VanHalen, Hits, BandHero)

I think they were both guilty of going overboard a little bit.

You missed RB Green Day. My favorite!

I doubt they'll drop harmonies, they're pretty straightforward to continue to include at little extra effort. Keys and Pro may have been dropped for production reasons, as you need dedicated hardware and while some of us still have it lying around, maybe they didn't do well enough first time around to justify bringing them back right now and extended the effort to support them.

That said, if Pro guitar returns at some point it really needs to go down the Rocksmith route than the million-button-Mustang.

Given all those keyboard and pro guitar parts have already been charted for hundreds of songs, it'd be a shame if RB4 didn't at least have the support to use them, even if new content excluded them.

Also, I'm wondering if RB3 is gonna get an export code. I don't think I can physically survive playing a Rock Band game without The Power of Love (keys or not).

So many questions...

Has a new Guitar Hero been announced yet? I've known it's been in development for some time as a friend is working on a component of it - all I know is they're using real crowds in the game.

A rumour came out about it a couple of weeks ago, but nothing official. I don't expect Activision will wait too long before revealing it, especially now Harmonix have made their move.

That'd be ideal, then I can get the Guitar Hero guitar to use instead of the awful RockBand one. Just like last gen!

The GH2 Xplorer is still the best guitar in my opinion. Would love it if they released a guitar of the same quality for this, or Guitar Hero, DAT STRUM CLICK. :wub:

• Upvote 2

Yep, I was using the Xplorer for GH and RB games right up until I got my Mustang (and even then the Xplorer's button spacing is better for non-Pro tracks.) The strum bar was really satisfying to use and the button size and spacing was perfect. And I've never had any part of my Xplorer stop working - it's seemingly indestructible :P

I imagine that the sample group for Harmonix's research consisted of more than a single petulant baby.

You've not much of a sense of humour, have you? Bless.

Interesting thing seems to be that the only feedback they listened to was: "it's perfect, don't change a thing".

Hopefully they'll at least sell Pro Face-off as DLC.

Definitely need an X-Plorer too, but Activision might end up doing all their slide bar stuff again...

I am obviously in the minority but I always hated the CLICKCLICKCLICK of the GH guitars and much preferred the silent strum of the RB Fender.

Never mattered if you had the sound up loud enough though!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I prefer the Rock Band guitars because their size was just perfect. Except the Höfner bass, that thing was too long.

I need to repair my Rickenbacker's yellow fret, as it's lost its sensitivity somehow and only registers if you hit it dead middle. Anyone got any ideas?

You've not much of a sense of humour, have you? Bless.

Interesting thing seems to be that the only feedback they listened to was: "it's perfect, don't change a thing".

Hopefully they'll at least sell Pro Face-off as DLC.

Definitely need an X-Plorer too, but Activision might end up doing all their slide bar stuff again...

But they have reacted to the feedback; they've dropped redundant instruments (pro strings, keys), they're working to allow access to old instruments, and they're keeping compatability of old songs. They haven't got an unlimited budget though, so it's probably in their best interest to drop the last-gen machines, for reasons that make sense from a fiscal point-of-view, like a dwindling playerbase or less support in their digital stores or whatever.

I am obviously in the minority but I always hated the CLICKCLICKCLICK of the GH guitars and much preferred the silent strum of the RB Fender.

Yep, I'm in the same boat, though the buttons on the Rock Band 1 guitar were a bit rubbish; mine are very iffy these days, with the blue, yellow and green buttons all not always registering when held down :( Hopefully the new instruments will keep the silent strumming but add in a bit more durability.

The GH2 Xplorer is still the best guitar in my opinion. Would love it if they released a guitar of the same quality for this, or Guitar Hero, DAT STRUM CLICK. :wub:

Damn straight, still rocking the Xplorer to this day!

Yep, I was using the Xplorer for GH and RB games right up until I got my Mustang (and even then the Xplorer's button spacing is better for non-Pro tracks.) :P

Hello, fellow Xplorer players! :bye:

• Upvote 1

Never had an Xplorer, but the GH3 Les Paul was miles better than any of the shit that followed it, in either franchise.

That's what I've got - dug it out last night still works a treat :)

I've been back to Rock Band 3 in the last few days and the more I play it, the more disappointed I am about the lack of keyboard support in RB4. Pro Keys is probably my favourite of all the game modes (even though I'm rubbish at it), and my 5-year-old son uses the keyboard to play bass on Easy with us sometimes which is great fun.

I suspect that for all their talk about "getting back to the core of the experience", the reason why keys aren't in RB4 has everything to do with the fact that two-thirds of the DLC catalogue predates RB3 and doesn't have keyboards charted. Rather than go back and add keys to all the songs that needed them, they've decided to leave them out altogether. It's a massive shame.

Its totally understandable though. The percentage of people who bothered with the keyboard is tiny. Sure it was quite expensive and came very late on, but in all honesty I don't think its quite as fun as the other instruments and I'm pretty sure the majority feel the same.

I think Harmonix are making the right choice there.

I found this interview where they mention keyboards:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/03/05/harmonix-talks-rock-band-4-wii-u-version-missing-keytar-and-upcoming-songs/137579/

So are all five of the instruments returning, including the keytar?

Daniel: We are focused on the original core instruments, so drums, guitar, bass, vocals. And in fact most of the effort that we’re putting into this game is around focusing in on that classic band experience and making sure that the innovations that we are excited about will hit the most amount of people. There were a lot of things in Rock Band 3 that I am very proud of; I worked on Rock Band 3, I was the project lead. A lot of people had a lot of really wonderful things to say about it; my biggest criticism of it is that it is a sprawl. It’s a big, giant game, and it was confusing to a lot of people in terms of “Hey, is this a teaching tool or is this a fun party game? Can I play if I don’t have the keyboard? What do I need to have to play the game?” And so I think one of our calls to action was around focus, and getting back to some of the roots of what made Rock Band special in the first place, and not using hardware to sort of complicate the message, but really rally around the gameplay. And I know that there are a lot of people who have keyboard controllers, who are gonna be… cranky about that.

Maybe in a future update?

Daniel: It may be in a future update. I think one of the things we’re committed to is engaging with fans, and if there’s a market for whatever-it-is, then that’s absolutely a conversation that we want to have. So yeah, it’s a question that we “get”.

OK, so it looks like RB4 won't support pro keyboards, and new DLC won't get charted for keys. But will the game still support keyboard-on-guitar for legacy songs?

I would doubt it. The instrument would need supported by the console and software, both as a piece of hardware that needs to function, and the game accepting the use of a fifth instrument and band member.

Would be nice to be wrong, though!

Its totally understandable though. The percentage of people who bothered with the keyboard is tiny. Sure it was quite expensive and came very late on, but in all honesty I don't think its quite as fun as the other instruments and I'm pretty sure the majority feel the same.

I think Harmonix are making the right choice there.

Yeah. I loved the keyboard, and spent a lot of time on it, but it's a pain in the "party" setting because no-one actually likes using it as a keytar, meaning sorting a table out and so on.

So...anyway apart from all the gripes, what's the one song you're most hoping they include in RB4?

Mine, that's easy as I'm a drummer - Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin, just so I can play that bonham hi-hat solo.

Anything Zepplin...They have become more open to licencing out their tunes in recent years so maybe it's a goer. Eternal Life by Jeff Buckley would be my other shout. Love playing it on real guitar so fake guitar should be x1000!

• Upvote 1