Cities: Skylines - SimCity 2015

This is excellent and running very nicely on my 2013 iMac via boot camped Windows 8. I toned down the 'tilt shift' under graphics options as I don't really like the effect personally but other than that it's nice and smooth on full settings (so far, will see when I have a sprawling metropolis).

Everything is just so logical, especially if you have played a Sim City before. For example simply right click to cancel a road placement, middle button for tilting the view. You can also rebind keys which I had to do for page up/down on my Mac keyboard.

I'm scared of not undestanding the language and not wanting to use a VPN (last time it borked PC). CDKeys it shall be later tonight.

Cheers

Hola is just a Chrome extension, and it's as simple as clicking a country and browsing away. Nuuvem is very straightforward to use too (Obvious pictures on buttons and stuff), and you check out with Paypal.

I really like the footpath feature. I have a large and windy suburban area - I don't know if building footpaths between the roads down to the local park and shopping area reduces traffic on the main road, but it should, right? Looks nice anyway. I also built a pedestrian bridge between the current town centre (it won't be my main city centre) and what is going to be a densely-gridded residential area. It's just a pity you can't do proper pedestrianised areas.

At some point I plan to bulldoze the motorway right through the current town centre, in honour of the dirty great motorway that bisects my home city, Glasgow.

This really is like a modernised and more intuitive SimCity 4 (with awesome road drawing features), rather than the lifelessly dull Cities XL series or SimCity.

Already this is better than SimCity 2013. It's not quite as charming, there isn't that trademark SimCity humour, and it's disappointing to learn there are no natural disasters, UFO attacks or zombie outbreaks, as they add a bit of fun chaos to the mix, but as an actual game? Much better.

I think I made a pretty rookie mistake by not leaving a lot of space near the highway onramp, so there seems to be pretty much a constant stream of trucks piling up as they try desperately to get into the industrial area. Fixing it will only mean taking the bulldozer to about half the city, I'm sure nobody will mind!

From videos I have seen, once the population hits 15k or so that seems a very common occurrence. I think I might extend the motorway into a city bypass when that happens, give the industrial areas their own entrances/exits away from the rest of the city's traffic.

Hola is just a Chrome extension, and it's as simple as clicking a country and browsing away. Nuuvem is very straightforward to use too (Obvious pictures on buttons and stuff), and you check out with Paypal.

Cheers for tips - will try again tomorrow when the account creation section isn't broken

This is great. Just a fantastic game. Here's a mostly-up-to-date aerial shot of my city.

be2I7aU.jpg

It's grown a bit since then - I'm up to 20,000 people now, got a hydro dam and a cargo rail station and a gigantic circular metro that covers my entire city. I had one bad traffic problem early on but reducing the number of intersections on the main thoroughfare and re-arranging the bus routes worked wonders.

I'm loving it to bits, this is too good.

(edited in the right damn screenshot)

I'm in a bit of a mess traffic wise, but mostly it's going well. About a million in the bank, making 30k a week, 34,000 people in my city. I'm going to create a new town on an island off the main landmass next I think.

I'm not sure. Obviously I'm enjoying it, but it seems *incredibly* forgiving. I've planned a fair bit, but it does feel like it is going too well.

I don't know if it's THAT easy, I have a situation where lots of my industries are failing due to not enough workers, also I have ZERO demand for commercial. Not sure how to increase population faster, just slowly creeping up to 6000 at the moment. I have heavily reworked the initial connection from the motorway, now there's a couple of roundabouts in there but it flows much better.

Enjoying this although I find placing power lines a bit of a pain. You can't run a road under them, it cuts that section of line.

You can as long as you don't intersect the pylon. You don't really need to use power lines that much I find, only when building a new neighbourhood not connected to the main city. You can swiftly delete them afterwards.

Shrug. I've found it incredibly easy, it has to be said.

Build, fix, consolidate, repeat has been my approach. Every citizen is happy, nobody at risk of crime or fire. Traffic problems that need fixing and two chunks of pollution, but also a Statue of Liberty. And a bunch of other unique buildings, (stadium, crazy theatre) since I had money burning a hole. Oh, and entirely renewable energy. Solar Power is cool when you get that.

post-1512-0-55251400-1426037904.png

I got only so far last night before turning it off in anger - I had landfill sites but the streets were just overflowing with waste and I couldn't understand why. I went out for a jog this morning and came to a standstill suddenly, with the sudden realisation that my landfill sites were at the end of a one way street.

Anyone got tips for laying out roads properly? Is there any indicator that traffic isn't working?

• Upvote 1

I got only so far last night before turning it off in anger - I had landfill sites but the streets were just overflowing with waste and I couldn't understand why. I went out for a jog this morning and came to a standstill suddenly, with the sudden realisation that my landfill sites were at the end of a one way street.

Anyone got tips for laying out roads properly? Is there any indicator that traffic isn't working?

Traffic not moving is one huge indicator but the waste areas have spheres of influence as such (any building with any influence is shown in green when you click on the building).

Anyone outside of that won't get rubbish.

As for water - make sure the sewage is downstream of the water pump and ensure they're connected.