Cities: Skylines - SimCity 2015

I'd sort of been ignoring this upcoming citybuilder because I know people didn't think much of Cities XL but it turns out this is a different developer from those games and with release coming up it's actually looking pretty fantastic.

I watched this video and it more or less sold me on the game:

It really does look like the game that SimCity 2013 should have been, and it's taken that game's greatest appeal for me - the light, kinda-whimsical, calm mood - and run with it. It seems to have more personality too, and the mechanics look good. A couple of small bugs apparently but things that shouldn't be too difficult to fix, and nothing on the SC2013 level.

I'm not pre-ordering it but certainly keeping an eye on impressions post-release with a view to buying it if it is actually good.

This is currently under £17 to pre-order from gmg (which I've done) in the VIP section, lots of twitch streams of it last night as the embargo finished and general impressions seem good (I believe the review embargo is the 9th or 10th).

To head off the first question that seems to get asked, yes the area is much much larger than Sim City 2013! You start off with one area and can then expand that up 9, the developers have said more could be modded in but it’s challenging (reddit already gearing up for that)

Very mod friendly as well it looks like, with lots of buildings already designed.

I'm keeping an eye out for this. SimCity burned me good with the initial server nonsense and not having local play and then the small city plots, but I figured I'd end up going back to it to give it another chance. That still hasn't happened, so if this is good I might just swap completely.

My only concern is that I didn't like the developer's first Cities in Motion game (didn't play the second). Poorly optimised and too much boring and fiddly micromanagement (micromanagement can be enjoyable of course). This does look good though.

I've been watching a few streams of this over the past couple of days and it really is looking like the game that the most recent Sim City should have been and with it being so cheap it would be rude not too eh?

And another very short one about some of the unique features like fluid dynamics.

(Gamergaters will be horrified to discover both the CEO of the company and the lead designer are women, the latter even has the thing they hate second most in the world behind women, pink-dyed hair)

I'd sort of been ignoring this upcoming citybuilder because I know people didn't think much of Cities XL but it turns out this is a different developer from those games and with release coming up it's actually looking pretty fantastic.

I watched this video and it more or less sold me on the game:

The next part.

They have done a good job of building a community for this game before it is even out.

I watched one last night where the guy placed a dam down randomly because he wasn't really sure what was happening... And the surprisingly in-depth water physics punished him for that, haha.

Go to 17 minutes of this video

All the PC-gaming channels I follow on Youtube have been streaming this solidly and initially I was a bit wary of the heavy promotion, but looking at the game I have to say I'm really tempted! After EA dropped the ball with Sim City it was only a matter of time before someone came along and took it up.

Before SimCity 2013's release, the people who'd played it had been tightly controlled and time-limited so its biggest flaws weren't at all noticeable. Paradox have just handed this game out to streamers and told them to go wild, They've found small bugs but the game looks really solid and compelling. Stuff like the integration of mod tools is really cool, too - one streamer found that the game didn't have the right sort of park, so he saved, quit to menu, created a new park with the game's assets, loaded back in, and was immediately able to place it.

Yeah, this is very firmly on my "to buy" pile. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time to play it at the moment, so I'm loathe to pay full price for it right now - it's certainly not £17 on Green Man Gaming any more!

(of course, if it had come out this weekend I would have bought it, and played it. But it wasn't, and I know I won't have time for it next week, so...)

Worth highlighting that it seems like it is remarkably easy to make your own buildings, parks, premade intersections and so on just using the ingame asset editing tools. I presume you will also be able to use that with mods too. Pretty impressive stuff for a game made by such a small team.