rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
deKay

Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows

Couldn't find the topic for the original sorry but I bought the Treasure Trove collection on Switch today, this is absolutely fantastic, no idea why I let this pass me by for so  long.

I'm up to the last stage on Specter of Torment on the Switch. Now I'm really wishing I bought the full Treasure Trove pack! I found this far better than the original, and the spacing of the controls made it much easier to play than the 3DS version. The 'swing' mechanic is truly brilliant, and coupled with the wall running it feels incredible to control.

How does the other DLC compare?

Bought this with African currency on Xbox over the weekend, £12 for the treasure trove pack which is a steal. If you like your retro platformers, i'd strongly consider picking this up for that price. 

I think I paid about £7, and since then I've had triple my money's worth with the additional character levels. And there's still one more to come!? 

It's an incredible game but it's really bloody difficult. Some of the feats require no deaths, no hits, no upgrades etc - surely they jest...

On 24-4-2017 at 17:51, mechamonkey said:

Couldn't find the topic for the original sorry but I bought the Treasure Trove collection on Switch today, this is absolutely fantastic, no idea why I let this pass me by for so  long.

Same here.

Decided to give the ol' original SK another go, only to be greeted with an update that added no less than two extra games to this already excellent game. And a third to come. Surely some of the best value for money since the purchase of Louisiana.

1 hour ago, Nequests said:

Shovel Knight Dig

Well up for this. Absolutely loved Bomb Chicken.

Looks great. I loved SK and I loved SteamWorld Dig, so I should love this.

Any word on a release date?

Release date: yesterday.

(presumably, it downloaded the update to my PS4 but it was already past bedtime so I didn't check it out).

Feels like we've been waiting about two years for this one!

edit - I'm referring to the Treasure Knight campaign, no idea if that Dig thing is included as that looks like a major mode in itself.

The King Knight campaign is really good so far. Levels are shorter, bite-sized chunks and King Knight has an interesting rhythm that makes traversing through levels pretty fun (barge into bounce into barge into bounce). The card game, Joustus is surprisingly good, too.

Yacht Club really know how to do expansions.

• Upvote 1

Is the Plague Knight DLC worth persevering with or is it just the main game with a more awkward character? I've done a couple of levels but I'm not really feeling it. I still have the other two DLCs to try out.

On 17/12/2019 at 09:42, Yasawas said:

Is the Plague Knight DLC worth persevering with or is it just the main game with a more awkward character? I've done a couple of levels but I'm not really feeling it. I still have the other two DLCs to try out.

Of all the DLCs, it's the most skippable. The remix idea is pretty cool, but like you said, he's quite awkward to use.  I enjoyed it, but if you're not (and if you've got the full collection), move onto Spectre Knight. He's very fun to play as. The campaign is quite streamlined and feels a lot more unique.

• Upvote 2

I bought Shovel Knight back when I first got my Switch and got through the main game in between bouts of Zelda. Having enjoyed it I found the Plague Knight DLC too tricky and not worth persevering with, so moved on.

I had no idea more DLC had been released over the course of the past few years! Spectre Knight is absolutely brilliant fun to play as - dashing around with the scythe attack works so well, in complete contrast to the plodding, awkward style of Plague Knight. And there’s another DLC pack just sitting there after this! Blimey. 

Treasure Trove? Pleasure Trove, more like. 

On 17/12/2019 at 17:42, freezycold said:

I’m absolutely awful at the card game

Same. I take it you have to beat the card boss to carry on? I might be done.

Shame as I was really enjoying the normal levels. King Knight is really fun to play as.

3 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Same. I take it you have to beat the card boss to carry on? I might be done.

Shame as I was really enjoying the normal levels. King Knight is really fun to play as.

I'm pretty certain you can complete it without touching Joustus, its entirely optional.

Stick with it, the whole campaign is great.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Popo said:

I bought Shovel Knight back when I first got my Switch and got through the main game in between bouts of Zelda. Having enjoyed it I found the Plague Knight DLC too tricky and not worth persevering with, so moved on.

I had no idea more DLC had been released over the course of the past few years! Spectre Knight is absolutely brilliant fun to play as - dashing around with the scythe attack works so well, in complete contrast to the plodding, awkward style of Plague Knight. And there’s another DLC pack just sitting there after this! Blimey. 

Treasure Trove? Pleasure Trove, more like. 

Yeah the icon design change caught me off guard at the time. I was almost tempted about to buy the fighting game separately before noticing the “showdown” option had appeared in the main menu of this.

I'm on the last boss of the base game, absolutely loved this game. So simple yet we'll done and the music is exceptional. Can't wait to get straight into the dlc. 

Just finished King of Cards finally, it was great! Easily my fav of the bunch. I went back to Shovel of Hope after to see the difference and it was so harsh and frustrating in comparison. I’d love even more of this wonderful new highly refined level design.

Joustus is ticking all the boxes for me, it's grabbed me in exactly the way Triple Triad did in FFVIII. I'm more interested in finding characters with unique cards than I am in doing the platforming.

It was difficult to win consistently until I had nabbed some strong cards, and the cheats you can buy from Chester helped with that in the beginning (not sure it would have been possible to defeat the wandering boss cards otherwise).