Sign in to follow this  
Dig Dug

The Retro Import Enthusiasts Thread

gamecube componet cables are still available from Nintendo Austraila btw except they won't post outside the country and are strictly one per person, basically you need a friend in Oz to buy you one, I had one sent over last year it worked out at less than £50 including postage.

Also the NTSC machines can be opened up to JP and NTSC by simply soldering a bridge ( or switch ) across 2 points on the main board, personally I'd get a pal machine and fit Zeno GC chip which is pretty simple as chips go, then you can...play games from any region, still get 480p with a component (NTSC compatable games only) or use RGB scart on everything.

Cheers, I'll give that a go!

Is there any advantage to using a Gamecube over a Wii these days?

For the regular Joe, probably not. But the quality of the component output on the Wii is lacking compared to the GC. I'm not sure you'd notice it in day-to-day usage unless you were really looking.

There are a ton of comparison pictures here.

Here to resurrect a fairly old thread but do many people import here?

It seems so quiet on forums nowadays for importing, NTSC UK is dead and getting games can be tricky. 

So do many import or play imports here? 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Here to resurrect a fairly old thread but do many people import here?

It seems so quiet on forums nowadays for importing, NTSC UK is dead and getting games can be tricky. 

So do many import or play imports here? 

Since getting a Super NT (an import in itself!) earlier in the year I've imported a fair few Super Famicom games from Japan and that process is still ongoing.

• Upvote 2

I used to import almost exclusively during the PS2 era, but now only intermittently.

I did, however, order Sturmwind for Dreamcast a couple of weeks ago:

I'll be playing it on ReDream rather than my actual Dreamcast, but wanted to support the devs :) 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Camel said:

Last import for me was Combat Queen for PS2 a couple of months back. Brilliant terrible game.

My last import might have been a PS2 game as well - and incidentally the sequel to a game I think you might have first alerted me to - Gekibo 2. 

It cranks the madness up in all the right ways and uses its 2.5D engine to awesome effect.

16 hours ago, nakamura said:

NTSC UK is dead

Indeed.  It's a pity, but there's only really Briareos Kensky, or whatever his handle is, who imports games.  His first play threads about them are great reading though.

Apart from that, people don't seem to import much there.  I suppose with modern consoles there's less point than there used to be, and for older ones everybody has moved onto Everdrives.

I still check it every few days, but it used to be so that I could read the new content of interest.  Nowdays I look at it to see if there is any new content that interests me.

3 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

My last import might have been a PS2 game as well - and incidentally the sequel to a game I think you might have first alerted me to - Gekibo 2. 

It cranks the madness up in all the right ways and uses its 2.5D engine to awesome effect.

Great game!

I’ve not imported since giving up on the Neo Geo, but there was a period of a few years where I bought a lot of Neo and PCE stuff from Japan. When I was chasing a full Jaguar collection I bought games from as far afield as Australia, Israel and the US! Can’t really be arsed any more, despite being ever tempted by an X68000 or an FM Towns for whatever bizarre reason.

God I'd love an X68000.

If I had more money and time I would still definitely import lots of games. Nothing beats discovering and experiencing a weird, obscure import title for an older console. Or just buying all the shmups. Presently I don't really have time (or the energy) to mess about with what I have, never mind adding to the pile.

I regularly import Switch games from Japan.

A fair few of them are based on retro franchises so I guess I can include them here.

I buy all my DS games from the US as well.

It's weird. Importing half feels more common than ever what with all ye Facebook groups etc they sell yet it feels almost invisible. Obviously it's all about cheap old games for most people, which is pretty much the same for me anyway. 

US postage costs are a nightmare now too. 

1 minute ago, nakamura said:

It's all pretty horrendous. I was importing a fair few 4K movies recently, but many websites are now including custom charges similar to eBay's global shipping service so it's not even worth bothering with them any more because it's pushing the films towards the £35 mark.

16 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Not helping.

Worth it for the joy of starting an X68000 appreciation thread alone. 

It's an amazing system but... emulate it first before buying!  A lot of it is incomprehsible thanks to the language barrier and its effectively just a PC.

I buy imports for my PS1, Super Famicom and N64 these days. They thankfully aren't too costly but I do feel like speedrunning and the like has increased the demand for imports slightly, especially for games like Goldeneye.

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

It's weird. Importing half feels more common than ever what with all ye Facebook groups etc they sell yet it feels almost invisible. Obviously it's all about cheap old games for most people, which is pretty much the same for me anyway. 

I guess it's about exposure. For me, the Gamecube was my import peak, and it was about cheap new games.  The dollar was weak (or the pound was strong) back then and the release schedules meant I'd regularly have a game in my console 6 to 8 months before it was even released in the UK, and for £15 less!

The number of import websites seemed much larger too, obviously the biggest export omission is Lik Sang, but there were a host of UK based importer websites too.

Perhaps my exposure was being in a room of other import gamers at Uni though!

As for now, I haven't imported much recently, with the exception of some SFC titles due to Super NT purchase like (and encouraged off forum by!) @Flockheart as he's mentioned above, though I'm in a phase of playing current gen stuff at the moment, so it's been a couple of months for me now.

For me, it's also about cheap old games, but with the added bonus of amazing box art, and a host of games I previously couldn't play.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

It's an amazing system but... emulate it first before buying!  A lot of it is incomprehsible thanks to the language barrier and its effectively just a PC.

Yeats ago I had a great emulator on PC. Can't remember the name. But yeah, it's like emulating any computer.

I've got a full library of X68000 games on my Xbox but that's not the point. As we all know it's about owning the hardware.  The more exotic the hardware, the more dust it is able to gather.  It's science.

• Upvote 1

I still buy nearly all my retro stuff as imports.

Until the days of the 360/PS3 games were still released earlier in other regions and still potentially still in 50hz so importing was a must IMO.

I’m a JPN player for life yo. Can’t get it out of my system. The early consoles were like completely different machines for what was available. 

Heres some recent purchases 

DD3A9BC3-8C9D-4972-8D1C-3DA03BA2A18F.jpeg

• Upvote 3

The Dreamcast and original Xbox were the last times I really heavily imported. After the 360 publishers really stepped up their game in regards to simultaneous worldwide releases, and with the packaging slowly getting worse the reasons to import were over.

Original Xbox was great to import. Stuff like Panzer Orta and Dead to Rights I had months and months ahead of the UK releases, and they often had holographic covers, fullcolour manuals, proper logos on the spine and generally just a lot nicer looking than the overpriced late pal tat we had. 

• Upvote 1