IGNORED

So Gamecentral Havn't Printed My Article Yet...

Mk.

You know their weekend print a reader feature thing? I emailed one in 5 odd weeks ago, and they havn't used it. I'm not that fussed, but I was quite pleased with it. It did go a bit over the required word count admittedly.

Oh well, here it is for your own personal enjoyment, as I can't stand the thought of nobody ever reading it. Bear in mind that I pitched the intended audience at GameCentral readers as well...

The Christmas rush then. Three console manufacturers’ bitterly fighting over who gets that elusive spot by the side of your TV. But what of the other battles? What about ‘where am I buying my Brand new games console?’ In the battle for the typical parents that don’t know or care about which console is which, I decided to conduct an experiment to see what advice games shops would dish out to a clueless punter.

Posing as a customer who had never heard of such things as ‘X-Box Live’ or ‘Eyetoy’, I visited two stores, Game and Gamestation, and asked the nearest shop assistant, ‘Which should I buy, PS2, X-Box or GameCube?’

First up was Game, and I was disappointed at the clear bias towards GameCube that the assistant showed, his reasoning being that ‘All the major games get released on all three consoles anyway, and the GameCube is much cheaper’ No word of DVD support, no advice on the joy of Eyetoy or online play. Just a woefully misguided statement.

Second was Gamestation, and it has to be said, the 20-something assistant knew his stuff. He went into the advantages of each console, be it price, huge games catalogue, DVD support or online play. He said he preferred the GameCube himself, but crucially added that you’d hear different answers from everybody else you asked.

Wonder why ‘Mainstream’ gamers don’t seem to have a clue as to what consoles or games to purchase? Well we may have found a root of the problem. The people who should know better, the ones selling the games to us, don’t know themselves.

Mk.

Wonder why ‘Mainstream’ gamers don’t seem to have a clue as to what consoles or games to purchase? Well we may have found a root of the problem. The people who should know better, the ones selling the games to us, don’t know themselves.

Did you conclude that from another, totally unrelated survey or something? :blink:

‘All the major games get released on all three consoles anyway, and the GameCube is much cheaper’ No word of DVD support, no advice on the joy of Eyetoy or online play. Just a woefully misguided statement.

I wouldn't call what he said "woefully misguided" - most of the major games (we're talking EA titles for the mainstream) are released on all three systems, and the GC is currently the cheapest. It's a generalisation yes, but it sure isn't "woefully misguided".

So let's see:

One bloke says "Most stuff is multiformat, GC is cheapest". He may be uninformed, but not too much. Maybe he was just bored.

The other is very much informed.

And yet you conclude by saying they don't know?

They did know...

But he failed to put forward the advantages in the other options. He didn't want to give me any pros for PS2 or X-Box. That was my problem with him.

But he failed to put forward the advantages in the other options. He didn't want to give me any pros for PS2 or X-Box. That was my problem with him.

But the other guy did. That's one out of two. And it's not as though he lied or anything; he stated the truth, and his preference.

Now what would have been entertaining is a collection of quotes from retailers who just plain lie. Funny stuff! Go find these, go!

What were the conditions in the shop at the time? If it was a Saturday afternoon, it quite probably was very busy.

But regardless, the problem here is that your article, restricted to a number of words though it may be, doesn't give the impression that people are misinformed, because one of them actually was very informed and the other just didn't expand.

Had you been told "The green cabbage in the corner plays most GP32 games" by a pimple-faced lackey, you'd have a point.

What were the conditions in the shop at the time? If it was a Saturday afternoon, it quite probably was very busy.

But regardless, the problem here is that your article, restricted to a number of words though it may be, doesn't give the impression that people are misinformed, because one of them actually was very informed and the other just didn't expand.

Had you been told "The green cabbage in the corner plays most GP32 games" by a pimple-faced lackey, you'd have a point.

True, but, in Manchester at least, (mainly due to store location) the kind of people who would need to ask that wouldn't shop at Gamestation, they would shop at Game. And yet the help I got from them was worse.

EDIT: It was a Tuesday afternoon, and they were averagely busy.

The problems with the article are that:

a) It's poorly written. All that stuff about 'battles' is far too convoluted, for example.

b ) The 3rd paragraph just comes across as GC bashing. You asked him which console you should get. He answered.

c) It doesn't prove your point. As Sprite Machine says, you needed some ridiculous replies to make your point that games shop assistants don't know their stuff. You spoke to two people, one of whom answered your question honestly ("Which one?" "That one"), and another who knew his stuff.

Sorry, but you did ask. :blink:

...they would shop at Game. And yet the help I got from them was worse.

How exactly was it "worse" though? You asked which console you should buy, and he said the GC in his opinion as most multi-format titles come out on it, and it was the cheapest. You didn't ask him for a full breakdown of the pros and cons of each console - you asked him which one to buy, and he told you his opinion.

I think the really big problem with the article is how your conclusion relates to what you have before it. It reads something like...

Shop A gave me some advice, which may not be 100% accurate, and that I might disagree with.

Shop B gave some advice, couldn't tell me which console was 'best' because that was a purely personal thing.

Conclusion: One shop wouldn't acknowledge the obvious superiority of my chosen console, and the other wouldn't acknowledge the obvious superiority of any of them. I'm going to sulk now.

Now I know that probably isn't what you meant, but that is how it could be interpreted

Ahhhh, your all very right.

Justifying my article, I had the idea of going out and seeing how good assistants advice was. Once I'd done it, I wanted it to be quite an edgey piece (not like the magazine Edge) and make a point. I was basically going for a writing style similar to Fat Sow's old style. I suppose I went about it the wrong way.

Thanks for your feedback folks. Much Appreciated. B)

You should have done what all great journalists do. Make it all up and finish on a fart gag!

Also, you know the thing about checking every last detail of your spelling and grammar before you send everything off? Well usually that's about 8/10 important. With Tony Mott, it's 111,256,788,882,726,563,452,458,734,873,245,287/10 important. The man's a grammar fascist like no other.

He'd support the death penalty for speiling mistrokes.

I wouldn't say it was the greatest article ever...by a long shot...but I've seen far worse on Gamecentral. I remember the one which was basically some spoilt shit bragging about getting 10 games for Christmas and not having enough time to complete them - what a crock of shit. Most of the articles presented could be done as letters on Gamecentral.

You seem to have come up with your conclusions before you did any investigating. You asked about a games console, and the GC is the cheapest, and does have many good games. I guess he assumed you had a DVD player already, or weren't bothered about one as you asked for a games system. The other assistant was spot on.

Try again though.

I feel like a twat saying this, but it really isn't very good. The premise and approach is weak. The spelling and grammer are very sloppy.

Premise not being good, fair enough. But this is just a short article aiming to be entertaining and informative after all. Taking that on board I don't have a problem with the premise.

As for spelling and grammar, I disagree, the spelling is near flawless and a few minor ambiguities aside so is the grammar. But maybe you're stricter about such things.

What I like most is how short it is but still gives a decent amount of information.

So, the Christmas rush. Three consoles on sale... but which to buy?

I decided to ask some advice so I went into some shops. Here is my report of them.

The first shopkeeper advised me against a stetson, and pointed me in the direction of a bowler - I'd gone into a hat shop by mistake!

The second shopkeeper looked confused by my question, and no wonder - I'd accidentally walked back into the hat shop!

In conclusion, shopkeepers are rubbish - but I do now have a nice hat!

Give us a job, Motty!

Premise not being good, fair enough. But this is just a short article aiming to be entertaining and informative after all. Taking that on board I don't have a problem with the premise.

As for spelling and grammar, I disagree, the spelling is near flawless and a few minor ambiguities aside so is the grammar. But maybe you're stricter about such things.

What I like most is how short it is but still gives a decent amount of information.

The spelling is the best thing about it really. It's simply very poorly written.

I bet he regrets putting his article on here now!

Not at all. Better I get feedback saying it's crap so I can improve for next time then try again and it just be crap again right?

As long as it's constructive, which this all was, then great. Thanks all...

And thanks to Jim Miles for the postive feedback.