rllmuk

Amiga Appreciation Thread

11 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I was slightly concerned that the laser might be on the way out or something.  You're probably talking about four or five minutes of CD reading noises to get to the menu!

I'll check those out, thanks.  I need to order keyboard and mouse adapters.

Have you tried cleaning the laser? Cotton bud should do if you don't have a CD cleaner. Also you can use a PS1 mouse with that adaptor you have which I think are much cheaper.

6 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Nigel Mansell's complete in big-box, Nick Faldo's complete in jewel case, Dennis in jewel case with cover but no instructions, Microcosm in jewel case with a booklet that isn't the instructions or a cover so I suspect it's from the big box edition, D/Generation in jewel case with instructions, no cover, Jungle Strike in card CD case.

Then disc only in jewel cases are, Sensi, Chuck Rock, Beavers, Premiere, Liberation (wouldn't load for me), Castles 2, Global Effect, and a compilation disc of PD and shareware games.

I think the microcosm one is the freebie one with the console, which was a jewel case and the instructions- but no box.

I'd love to buy them, but with me currently having no job my wife would absolutely kill me if she found out I was buying games for a console I currently don't have!! Unless anyone wants to swap one for a modded Saturn ;-)

Back to the games, I wonder what happened to the original cases? Always seems strange when people only end up with the CDs...

God damn, Banshee is impressive. It's a decent shooter, but all the little incidental details really help to elevate it above the sea of vertical shmups. I don't understand why Core didn't make more of an effort with Chuck Rock, given they could clearly work miracles with the hardware. I've been playing some Amiga ports on the CD32 tonight too. Mainly Midnight Resistance and Agony. I feel a bit dirty for cheating on the Jag.

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

God damn, Banshee is impressive. It's a decent shooter, but all the little incidental details really help to elevate it above the sea of vertical shmups. I don't understand why Core didn't make more of an effort with Chuck Rock, given they could clearly work miracles with the hardware. I've been playing some Amiga ports on the CD32 tonight too. Mainly Midnight Resistance and Agony. I feel a bit dirty for cheating on the Jag.

Yeah must feel strange having some good games to play for a change.

kasumi-ninja-jaguar_1444.jpg

The parallels betwixt the two are striking. Both have a small selection of great games swimming around in a lake of crap ports and shovelware, and both have lived on latterly with strong communities continuing to port games over from the Amiga and the ST, as well as digging up and putting out unreleased games. Must be something in that home computer heritage.

Yeah, I think the Amiga, ST and Mac had a really strong fan base because of the onslaught of Microsoft Windows in the early-mid 90s. The communities were desperately hoping for an alternative! You ended up with really interesting stuff coming out - even things like the Eyetech SX-1 add on for the CD32. I remember speaking a lot with them and I think it was one guy doing it himself. Worth a fortune now... unfortunately I got rid of mine...

Seems its very hit and miss when it comes to playing CD's, sometimes they load perfectly others not at all hanging at a blackscreen or showing an error message. After a lot of reading online (I cleaned the laser etc) seems its fairly easy to replace the laser so I've ordered a brand new one off ebay for £8!

Planning on getting my A1200 out if my parents' loft soon and I've been looking into upgrades and peripherals.

Thinking about a Compact Flash PCMIA adapter, a Gotek Drive if my floppy drive is dead or needs a new belt and an IDE to Compact Flash adapter if my hard drive is dead.

Long term I want either a basic fast RAM card (seem hard to get hold of now...) or an accelerator. The ACA 1233n (this one) looks amazing but I'm wary of the potential need to mod the A1200 motherboard. Anyone got one or knows anything about them? I know the A1200 Vampire 2 is on the way too...

Yeah, Oscar is pretty bland but I don't mind it. It's not too dissimilar to the likes of Zool or Bubsy. It definitely follows that western home computer platformer blueprint with big, sprawling levels and woolly controls. It's better than Bubsy, which is crippled by its one hit and you're dead system. Miles behind the Zool games though. 

Flink looks good.  I'm keen to try that.

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

Yeah, Oscar is pretty bland but I don't mind it. It's not too dissimilar to the likes of Zool or Bubsy. It definitely follows that western home computer platformer blueprint with big, sprawling levels and woolly controls. It's better than Bubsy, which is crippled by its one hit and you're dead system. Miles behind the Zool games though. 

Flink looks good.  I'm keen to try that.

Problem is they needed a big hitter to make waves, their own Super Mario World and seeing as they had such a huge back catalogue already shouldn't have been too difficult to get the likes of Ocean to do something decent (like Batman). Instead they stuck a boring, average platformer in which wouldn't sell the system to anyone. Might have been better if there'd been a good game plus a load in a sort of compilation CD.

As an Amiga it's great and I love it but for the market at the time....

Wasn't Microcosm a launch title for the CD32? I remember at the time it got a huge amount of hype as being "the future of video games" - well, CD based games were the future (I remember an article in ACE magazine detailing how CDs would make it possible for real actors to be used in games, like having Harrison Ford in the latest Indiana Jones graphical adventure instead of a sprite).

Except the problem was that CDs alone weren't the future of games. It was really 3D gaming and the CD32 was woefully underpowered for games like Doom or Duke Nukem 3D. Commodore had bet the farm on CD media being the future and didn't have the financial resources to recover when it turned out they had placed the wrong bet, unlike SEGA who could ditch the Mega-CD and focus on the Saturn.

So games like Microcosm weren't that big of an improvement - it was basically Space Harrier with digitised graphics. That was the problem with CD focused games consoles - what's the USP over 16-bit cartridge based consoles? Better music? Digitised graphics? FMV that turned out to be a bit... crap? So when Sony came along with the Playstation, it not only had the benefits of CD games, they looked like a massive jump in technology - especially stuff like Ridge Racer.

(The whole CD thing being the future of games reminds me a bit of the current fad for VR... but that's not really retro, unless someone wants to start a retro VR topic). 

However, all this talk of CD32s makes me hanker for one again!!!!

Lorf, Nathan, if you haven't tried this site then you probably should...

http://unofficial-cd32-ports.blogspot.co.uk/

Loads of games converted to run on the CD32, including full joypad support for some. Games like Zeewolf 1+2, Putty Squad, Apocalypse, F1GP, Great Gianna Sisters, Tanks Furry are all on there. Should be good fun trying these out, seeing as they were never released for the CD32 or are newer games.

You're probably going to run out of save space... ;-)

Some of the covers are also really professionally put together.

tanks_furry.jpg

bfce1658-0be1-4e18-b1f3-f217363e84ce.jpg

• Upvote 2

The company is a big Amiga supplier (only live one left!) so its legit. They just have a load of old damaged stock to get rid of, problem is those power packs are a pain to find so you'd have to get some sort of adaptor. I've been thinking of getting the floppy disk drive they have but I can't really see a need to spend £70 for only being able to save a couple of games.