Lorfarius

Amiga Appreciation Thread

Time for a new collection! I've dabbled with the A1200 before but life got in the way so off it went on eBay, fast forward to 5 years later and I've jumped right back in with this:

photo_zpscuhefxuj.jpg

Comes with a 4GB CF HD installed and loaded with Classic Workbench with tonnes of WHDLoad games. Seller had it up for £200 but managed to get him down with a sneaky offer. First thing I did was track down a copy of Jesus on Es which is a bit long at 30 minutes but back in the 90's this was the future:

A lot of games need more than the stock 2MB inside the machine so I picked up an accelerator card to go with it:

_57_zpsc373e34e.jpg

Hasn't arrived yet but won't be long I'm sure. The whole thing that sparked this off? Playing Populous on the Master System, it was an okay game but I kept constantly thinking how much better the miggy version was, started browsing eBay and I was off and away. The great thing is I paid for it yesterday and it was here this morning, super quick delivery especially for free shipping!

• Upvote 6

Just been playing on my Amiga 1200. I recently got a Gotek disc drive emulator for it as it near impossible finding discs that still loaded for it.

Anyway, here is IK+... Still prefer the C64 version to be honest.

88CE1EB8-6B37-4A6E-A490-FAB1F909A49C_zps

The Gotek I bought for my A600 is one of the best investments I've made.

Yep I'm there with you on that one, as anyone will know who listened to the last episode of Retro Asylum. A nice cheap solution to failing discs!

How do you find the time to play all this stuff?! =)

Anyway.. the Amiga. Got my Amiga 500+ xmas 91 i believe. Cartoon classics pack and i had a stack of original (and copied games) with it. My brother and I asked for one due to having a play of my cousins Amiga 500 a few months before. Didn't think we would get it, until we were asked to move the rubbish to the bin outside. After we moved it outside, it clicked what we were actually moving. We were ecstatic!

Enjoyed Captain Planet and Simpsons, but it was Lemmings that i ended up playing the most after getting a bit bored of the other games. There were also a bunch of other games like Kid Gloves and Shuffle Puck Cafe that i really enjoyed to as well as several of the pirated games but i can't remember there being anything too amazing that stuck in my mind.

As time went on, i upgraded to A1200 in 1993. Bought extra memory, hard drive, cd drives.. it was a good machine (and i still own it). I was pretty much on it all the time, especially as i loved to create stuff on the system. Dpaint, AMOS, Movie Maker etc and i used it up until i eventually got a PC at the tail end of 1997.

In 2001 or so, i ended up removing the hard drive for a stupid reason and somehow ended up killing the drive. I shed a tear that night, because that hard drive contained a few years worth of my teens as well as a huge amount of games and programs installed. I ended up replacing the hard drive, but apart from install workbench i didn't do much else. I think that was the last time i even used it (outside of the occasional emulation).

The Amiga was a great machine but one that was outdated far too quickly (The Amiga 1200 just was not that powerful enough - if it had half decent 3D capabilities i think it would have competed with the PC and the A1200 should have come with a hard drive and more memory as standard). By the time the PC had Doom and the PS1 came out it was just not cutting it anymore, even though i tried and tried to get that experience on the Amiga.

I've often considered to get one of these USB floppy drive things or CF card adapters but just never have. I mean whats the point when you have http://thecompany.pl/ where you can just download the amiga game and play it on your PC? Sure it's not the same thing 100% but it's easier than messing around setting the machine up - especially as i'm not sure on the situation regarding TV output anymore.

• Upvote 2

CS I guess I'm living the dream. I just wish I could board up the windows and not have to go to work! :mellow:

There's loads of games for all the CDTV, AGA etc you name it and it's on this card. Think the guy raided the WHDLoad site because appears to have the lot!

photo%201_zps1if2zydt.jpg

Far too many games to play and I'll have to give it a good sort out. I managed to find Populous but it needs more RAM, my accel card isn't here so will have to wait. Instead I went for a bit of Robin Hood:

photo%202_zpsussxvltb.jpg

This is the brother of ROME AD92 which was one of my all time fav Amiga games as a kid. Similar style as above but based around Pompei, Britain and Rome itself, you started off as a commoner and worked your way up to emperor which was mind blowing to a 12 year old. I played it so much back in the day I learned how to speed run it before there were any such things as guides. I can still remember it vividly all these years later so it'll be loaded soon.

I'm using my Mega Drive controller in place of a joystick as the system didn't come with one. I tried it on a Codemasters pub quiz game (I lost my 10p gamble and it was Game Over :( ) and it seems to play okay. The mouse is a bit annoying which is just down to too much time using later ones, feels slightly less responsive on the mat I have.

I'm quite happy with it overall though I was a bit miffed that the floppy drive grips onto disks like a vice. Had to use a couple of forks to pry it out, luckily I don't really need it what with the CF drive but would have been nice to work my way through the floppies that were provided.

So is there any point in me picking up a Gotek? Seems pointless with this CF card or is there something I'm missing?

Sounds pointless if you already have a Cf card. I'm surprised populous doesn't work as I'm sure it only requires 512kb ram.

Regarding mice, the Amiga mouse is very low DPi. Maybe some kind of pc mouse to Amiga converter is available available.

Worth joining the Commodore Amiga group on Facebook. Apart from people posting pics of their setups and various Amiga innards, the people there are pretty helpful. Incidentally the Commodore 64/128 group is similarly active and interesting.

• Upvote 1

Sounds pointless if you already have a Cf card. I'm surprised populous doesn't work as I'm sure it only requires 512kb ram.

There's a lot of faffing about that you have to do to run certain games with a CF card if you're running a stock A1200. Older games are generally fine, but if you want to play something more demanding then you can run into memory errors since the WHDLoad and Workbench apps can eat up a lot of the 2MB RAM. You can get around it by booting the machine to the CLI and starting from there but there will still be titles that refuse to load.

I don't remember the exact way to get it started though, I think it involves holding a mouse button while it boots but I've lost the piece of paper that came with my CF card.

I always spent a lot of time around Amigas in the late 80's/early 90's but never owned one until quite late in its life cycle. It was an A500+ Cartoon Classics pack, the only decent part of which was DPaint and the Disk 1 intro to Bart vs. the Space Mutants. The lad who I bought it from seemed to think the best game to demo it with was Street Fighter 2. Around that time I was massively into OctaMED, and was buying it almost expressly for that purpose, and his entire collection of dodgy software was formatted and filled with scratchy 22khz 8-bit samples. Thankfully I still have his boxed copy of Monkey Island 2.

First thing I did was track down a copy of Jesus on Es which is a bit long at 30 minutes but back in the 90's this was the future:

If you're interested, the guy behind the music for that demo recently put out a remake/reimagining on Soundcloud. I helped him out a bit with sourcing a lot of the samples in higher quality.

https://soundcloud.com/spoonwizard/jesus-on-es-remake

• Upvote 2

Loved my Amiga but for some reason i sold it. Then a while later I bough a CD32. I then bought the Sx-1, disc drive and keyboard/ mouse to put with the CD32.

"Im doing it wrong" and a bonus picard.gif

Still, good memories for both (even the CD32 to a certain extent). Loved playing Jetstrike and SWOS.

You probably want to get yourself a decent joystick as well, if you haven't already. I recommend either the Competition Pro (clear, naturally) and the Powerplay Cruiser (but ONLY in the garish green/yellow/pink colour scheme!).

I like the Cruiser because it has adjustable tension, by turning the 'collar' at the base of the stick you can tighten or loosen the response to your liking.

Absolutely mental to think the A600 only came with a 20MB hard drive. Infact, i think my 1997 PC only came with 3GB which was quite big back in the day.

I recall when buying a 2.5 HD for my A1200, haven't a clue of the size but was probably at least 100MB. Anyway, the day came it arrived in the post. It cost me £80 which was quite a lot of money for a 15 year old.

So i carefully use the 2.5 ribbon cable to connect the drive. What happened next? The fucking thing caught on fire! The ribbon cable was destroyed and the hard drive was dead. I can only assume the cable was the wrong way, even though i was very careful. I took it to school for the IT teacher to have a look at (of course it was completly dead) but thankfully the company i bought it off sold me another one for £40 which worked..

Populous - there are a couple of whdload versions. One being populous 1,2 and the editor packs combined.

But yeah, you definitely need more memory otherwise they're a faff to set up.

I've got a 600HD and bought an 8mb upgrade card for about 30 quid from kipper2k. Lot cheaper than the CF memory options.

About 90% of non AGA games work now, biggest issue is that some of the Whdload files are programmed for the 1200, so the exit function doesn't work on a 600....

when I first got it, I went mad and installed every game imaginable, but then realised I just don't have the time to play them all. So cut back to a few hundred...;-)

There's anothe whdload site which is more up to date, I'll get the name when I get home. It's got things like the ST exclusives like oids and solomons key ports, as well as some good new home brew.

• Upvote 1

I always remember the Amiga being a full on aspirational machine. A few friends had them and my brother and I were desperate to own one, but never did.

I bought a couple of them about ten years ago and have now slimmed down to just an a1200. It's pretty much the peak of 90s retro, as far as I'm concerned, it hit that point before just before 3d became "essential", so the graphics still stand up today. So many amazing games...

• Upvote 1

Ordered a USB mouse adaptor for it today so now I'll be able to use a decent one! Should do for all those games. I did discover a copy of Deluxe Paint IV installed and it was the perfect way to see how crap the original mouse is, seemed almost impossible to draw a line without it breaking.

Not had much time to play tonight, wanted to focus on putting it in its full time residence:

photo1_zpsaythc71w.jpg

Unplugged my amplifier, speakers and record player to slide it in place. Moved the MD and SMS about so all nice n easy to reach. I still don't have a joystick as the MD pad seems good enough to me but I might get sick of having to swap it between the 3 systems. Happy to find it has every AGA game ever released on the drive so I know what's getting loaded once the acel card arrives!

I fired mine up tonight and at least on my CF card if you hold the left mouse button while it's booting you'll get an extra set of options to help you maximise available memory, one I think is purely CLI based (so you launch games through the command prompt) but the other is a graphical launcher.

I ran a fair few games on my A600 from the cli with a CF card. I was tempted to get an A1200 but couldn't justify the cost.

I've still got my original A500 which we bought just after the price drop to £400 - my dad was sat next to someone that worked for Commodore on a flight back from the U.S. and got one for £300.