Azure Striker Gunvolt series - Azure Striker Gunvolt 3

Since we are getting it after all, I figured a thread was in order :)

gunvolt.jpg

Azure Striker Gunvolt (also known as Armed Blue Gunvolt in Japan) is a platform action-game released by Inti Creates for the Nintendo 3DS eShop. It's gameplay is similar to Mega Man Zero (made by the same publisher), but introduced new gameplay elements to the Mega Man style of game such as Gunvolt's ability to "tag" enemies and target multiple targets at once, adding an additional layer of complexity to the genre.

Like Mega Man, Azure Striker Gunvolt is a side-scrolling platform game. The player controls a single character (the eponymous Gunvolt) who is able to jump, fire a gun, and attack enemies "tagged" with bullets using a large, homing electrical field. The player's actions are limited by an energy bar, which depletes when using the electrical field, using additional movement abilities such as double-jumping or air dashing, or being hit by enemies.
Gameplay focuses heavily on the player's technique and skill in moving through levels. While finishing a level is relatively easy, the game provides a ranking system as well as several optional challenges. The game introduces a "chain" system in which the player's score is constantly increased so long as the player avoids being hit by enemies, with special actions such as defeating an enemy in the air or defeating multiple enemies in one time, providing an additional bonus.
The game also uses an item-forging and equipping system.

Storywise, Azure Striker Gunvolt is set in the future in which several people, called "adepts" have developed "septimal powers".These powers enable superhuman feats including flight, use of powerful energy weapons, and manipulation of the elements (e.g. fire, water, electricity). The world is at peace thanks to the efforts of a world-spanning corporation known as the Sumeragi Group. However, the Sumeragi Group is, in reality, controlling and experimenting on adepts. Gunvolt, one of the most powerful adepts, with the ability to create electrical fields, works for a resistance organization known as QUILL.

The game opens with Gunvolt assigned on a mission to assassinate an adept named Lumen. However, Gunvolt discovers that Lumen is housed within the body of a young girl named Joule and instead rescues her, defecting from QUILL and setting out on his own to protect her.

Trailers:

Gameplay mechanics explanation:

Looks SNES-tastic!

>>  Official website: >> http://gunvolt.com/en/

Date of release? Somewhere in 2015...

KSuM4Az.jpg

Spoiler

GET BONUS: Early adopters got a neat little bonus game in Japan and the US, called Mighty Gunvolt, which is essentially an 8-bit version of Gunvolt and a tribute to the Mega Man series.

Looks NES-tastic!

Hopefully, we'll get the same deal...

MightyGunvolt_Sprite-108x100.png

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, this is proper good. There are more than the six stages it suggests (at least one more, anyway) and the levels are varied and inventive. Just beat the twins boss, which seemed really (disappointingly) easy, until they use their special move. Awesome.

Like how some of the bosses from Mighty Gunvolt translate to this too!

I've only played a few bosses, it does feel megaman ish - i died on boss a few times, learned the patterns, beat them. You have to tag enemies with your gun so your electricity can get them - more tags the more powerful it is. You need to wait to recharge or double tap down to manually recharge instantly. So lots of shooting, dodging, zapping, recharging (manual) e.t.c While zapping you fall a lot slower and this boss seemed like it was part of the dodge

(you had to jump then zap to reduce your fall to avoid the hit

) really cool!

With that said it doesn't have the satisfaction of slicing a robots in half with your blade like in Zero and ZX :/

zeroslash1.gif

I really like it so far, but only played it an hour.

Edit:

Mega Man Zero 2

And/or Mega Man ZX Advent

Own both but not played either @_@; completed Mega Man Zero (one) and Mega Man ZX so put the sequels on hold

Until last year the only Mega Man games I'd really played were 9 and 10, but I bought and completed X, then 1-6 in quick succession. I started 7 but got sidetracked with something else, but have bought X2, X3 and Zero in preparation for more Mega Manning :)

The whole tag-and-zap mechanic is really growing on me. Really loving it now, despite being underwhelmed initially. Some clever stage design as well.

Anyone have any idea what you're supposed to use the money for? I've loads but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to spend it.

You use it when you buy/ synth upgrades, don't you?

Box Boy done, purchased the Gunvolt games as a reward. How long does it take complete the first one DeKay?

Mighty Gunvolt? About 40 minutes. Have you done all the extra levels on Box Boy? I've unlocked the second batch of them ;)

You use it when you buy/ synth upgrades, don't you?

Do you? I still have billions.

This guy. Girl. Whatever. The other characters refer to he/she as "xe" so I'm assuming both and/or neither.

tumblr_nmcm6fPjm71svmpf2o1_400.jpg

Xe does say xe has a "plug for every socket" and "a socket for every plug". Nice.

That's Mighty Gunvolt done. Strangely, the first boss caused me the most grief. Didn't die on bosses 2-4 and only lost two lives on the final boss until I figured out a safe place to stand. Very enjoyable, especially the crap translation and the brilliant music.

And that's Azure Striker completed! Although, I'm sure there's a different ending in there somewhere. Perhaps if I find all the gems? I stumbled into one replaying a level and now the level icon on the stage select has it on it.

Oh, and if you've not guessed yet - speak to Joule before every level!

• 2 years later...

Seems like the Switch is getting one too:

h9ViTdb.jpg

Introducing Mighty Gunvolt Burst.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst builds on the original 3DS eShop game with new features like a character growth system. Also included is a new Burst Combo that adds a bonus score when taking down adjacent enemies.

Two playable characters are included: Beck and Gunvolt. The Switch version will offer HD Rumble with item dowsing