rllmuk
Droo

Strange retro topics #1: Mid 1990's pirated PC Games CDs.

17 hours ago, Riley said:

Voodoo indeed was the name of a UK warez cd series.

By the way, here's a whole ton of listings (over 1000!) of UK warez CDs, if anybody is interested: https://aww.moe/2knd4w.rar (original file name: notel97.rar) The lists range from mid-1994, to the end of 1997.

My memories are falling into place, thanks. I thought I'd got confused with graphics cards, but now I'm back on track.

*Wanders off to do further research*

Doing a clearout last night and I found a few of these CD's, I've put a few in to DOSBOX but I can't seem to get further than the Intro on Blobby 30 and 31:

b31.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 08/06/2016 at 19:17, erhgiez said:

I had a voodoo games cd and also one called golden games 4 that my dad bought from a guy at work for £50! It had Fade to Black on it along with some other things. I had loads in the end that I ended up getting from car boot sales. I might still have them kicking around, I'll check

WHOOOAHHH

YOU TOO?!

My dad also used to bring home Golden Games on a gold cd-r, with the name written in black pen. He bought them from his friend at work. It introduced me to PC gaming with apogee classics like halloween harry, duke nukem, commander keen, wacky wheels (thats what my avatar is from), jill of the jungle, hexen, heretic, doom, jazz jackrabbit etc etc

If i recall was just like a giant dos menu of games to install. £50 woah thats alot, wonder how much my dad paid for them.

edit: i recall i had golden games 3+5. jeez weird i remember that from '97.

• Upvote 1

Still clearing out and popped in Blobby 65, listing is:

• FPS SKIING 99  (C) SIERRA
  • THE FIFTH ELEMENT         (C) KALISTO
  • SIMON THE SORCERER PUZZLE PACK       (C) ADVENTURE SOFT
  • AXIS ALLIES    (C) HASBRO
  • DEEP SEA FISHING          (C) SUNSHINE INTERACTIVE
  • GRAND PRIX LEGENDS        (C) SIERRA
  • BONKHEADS      (C) 1AM ENTERTAINMENT
  • WETRIX         (C) OCEAN
  • HARDWAR        (C) GREMLIN INTERACTIVE
  • RETURN FIRE II (C) RIPCORD GAMES
  • RAYMAN FOREVER (C) UBISOFT
  • HOYLES CLASSIC BOARD GAMES(C) SIERRA
  • QUAKE II - GROUNDZERO ADDON          (C) ACTIVISION
  • HESPERIAN WARS (C) MODERN GAMES
  • ULTRA VIOLET WORLD        (C) VORLON SOFTWARE
  • DEAD RECKONING (C) PIRHANNA TECHNOLOGY
  • DUNE 2000      (C) WESTWOOD STUDIOS
  • SPELLCROSS     (C) SCI
  • SIERRA FANTAST SPORTS     (C) SIERRA

This one is from the 1999 windows era so had an interface that still runs.

Capture.JPG

• Upvote 1

Hi, stumbled across this post and thought I'd add my penny's worth.  Had a root around and found a copy of Cappuccino '95.   No games, contents was mostly geared towards the release of Windows 95, and all the utils.   It's open-folder structured, so there's no menu as such, just a couple of text files driven from the following interface:

cap95.jpg

clickfirst.JPG

installhelp.JPG

• Upvote 3

On 06/06/2016 at 11:12, Riley said:

Another thing I know about is later, around 1996, warez CD authors in the UK started to reshack Dennis Publishing's magazine cover CD browser and use that. I have somewhere an ISO of Dragon Utils 1 from 1996 that does exactly this. I used to have a few Suite Dreams CDs from 1998 that did this too (and reshacked a Corel autorun.exe too, and included the Corel autorun .wav of that time also!); however, some rotted and others were lost, before I could image them :(

LOL I remember that browser - worked on Dennis' discs from 2000 onwards.  Yeah it was piss-easy to work out how to change stuff on the browser - just edit the .ini file, and the image files to whatever you want.

If anyone has a usenet account with decent retention, you can currently download Blobby CDs 1 - 12 and a Voodoo CD from the alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc.old newsgroup.

Would post the nzbs, but not sure of the rules around here on that kinda thing.

15 hours ago, dweezil said:

If anyone has a usenet account with decent retention, you can currently download Blobby CDs 1 - 12 and a Voodoo CD from the alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc.old newsgroup.

Would post the nzbs, but not sure of the rules around here on that kinda thing.

I think the NZB would be a bit tutted at, but that's great, cheers.

On 9/6/2016 at 10:42, Smoothy said:

LOL I remember that browser - worked on Dennis' discs from 2000 onwards.  Yeah it was piss-easy to work out how to change stuff on the browser - just edit the .ini file, and the image files to whatever you want.

The last "native" version of that browser from 2000-2001 or so, actually had a crypted config, most likely to try and prevent this type of misuse. I ended up taking some time to reverse the crypto.

On 8/31/2016 at 20:23, Madjock said:

Sorry my upload is so bad it would take ages!

No rush; I'd actually also like to see uploads of images of these CDs some time. How bad exactly is your upload speed?

Please note that the Blobby series all notoriously had some kind of awkward protection (which is probably why they don't work in dosbox), so you'd probably have to dump them to mdf/mds with Alcohol 120%.

21 minutes ago, Riley said:

The last "native" version of that browser from 2000-2001 or so, actually had a crypted config, most likely to try and prevent this type of misuse. I ended up taking some time to reverse the crypto.

Ah yes.  Basically soon after I started we moved to another browser that was built by a third party and in order for us to compose it, we had to use a specially-constructed composer program "Designer" (IIRC) that allowed us to compile the browser (this version of the browser aped the previous version) - this is the browser that you mention.  That limped on for a few years until we moved to a Macromedia Director-based browser that was completely redesigned in-house, looked far far better and simply used an XML file to pull in the info.

On 8/31/2016 at 19:40, dweezil said:

Hi, stumbled across this post and thought I'd add my penny's worth.  Had a root around and found a copy of Cappuccino '95.   No games, contents was mostly geared towards the release of Windows 95, and all the utils.   It's open-folder structured, so there's no menu as such, just a couple of text files driven from the following interface:

would be nice if you could upload an .iso somewhere. I have cap2 myself, as I mentioned before.

On 27/09/2016 at 00:53, Riley said:

No rush; I'd actually also like to see uploads of images of these CDs some time. How bad exactly is your upload speed?

Please note that the Blobby series all notoriously had some kind of awkward protection (which is probably why they don't work in dosbox), so you'd probably have to dump them to mdf/mds with Alcohol 120%.

Sorry they went to the skip, moved out of the country and everything had to go (sadly).  Looks like Droo has the ISO's.

I would love copies of these if anyone has them in ISO format...

I have:

Cappuccino4

Cappuccino5

Dragon4

Gold116

Gold149

SuperCD

I would quite happily share these and would really appreciate any more for nostialgias sake!

On 26/09/2016 at 19:37, Droo said:

I have pretty much all the ISO's now.

IF anyone has space somewhere, I'll upload them.

Droo I have an FTP server you could dump them to

2 hours ago, Brizza said:

Droo I have an FTP server you could dump them to

Sure. 

Send me a PM with details. I’ll do it overnight some night. 

Hey, if anyone has the ISO of any one of these issues of warez CDs, I would like to know, thanks.
Apollo 2
Coke 11
Death 25
Ganja 6
Ghost Warez CD 86
Playdoh 7
Power 20
T.M. 10
Total Utils 13
Total Utils 121
Total Utils 124
Voodoo 3

On 3/1/2018 at 14:06, Droo said:

Sure. 

Send me a PM with details. I’ll do it overnight some night. 

Please, PM me this FTP? I also want to know if anybody has any of the discs I mentioned earlier.

6 hours ago, brizza1982 said:

I have a few I can put a link up to? I'm trying to get more...

Cappucino4

Cappucino5

Dragon4

Gold116

Gold149

SuperCD

Blobby1-12

Could you please put these up somewhere? Send me a PM. Also, what is that FTP?

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but as anyone ever come across a compilation called "Best of PC Games". Would have been 1994ish. I remember it coming on two CDs and having a blue MSDOS browser. From memory, the games on the CD were broken down into folders by genre.

I spent so much time browsing through the huge lists of games, installing one to try out and spending so much time using just two CDs. In the end, the CDs deteriorated and wouldn't read so were thrown out. I know there were so many compilations but would love to get hold of these if anyone has them.

Digging this up once more, because for no reason whatsoever I decided to make a video of the first Blobby disc, in all it's 90s warezy glory.  Video below:

:D

• Upvote 6