rllmuk
Elseb

The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

5 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I scrolled through all of those pictures going "good God man, fix that aspect ratio" and then you address that very point at the end. To each his own, I guess :)

Seriously though, that's brilliant. My DC is in the loft but I must get it out and find my VGA box - I didn't own a 50" TV back in the day so I'm very curious to see how the games look these days.

Haha I knew it would annoy some so I had to mention it, I am definitely going to try the native 16:9 mod though. My friend I mentioned earlier still has his Dreamcast and has been trying to get it to work but ran into some odd issues.

Whenever I've hooked up my DC via VGA I've been mildly disappointed as it doesn't look much different from RGB on my TV, with the added downside of fewer compatible games.  Could be that my (Sony Bravia) TV doesn't upscale the image very well or that it does an amazing job with RGB, I'm not sure.

Mine has wonky controller ports. You have to put something (I used to use a little bean bag) under the plugs at the front to lift them up a tiny bit or they don't work. I expect it's something I could fix if I (a) opened it up and (b) had any talent for soldering.

12 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

What were the "Online Functions" in Shenmue? 

Thinking about it, I only ever connected my Dreamcast to the internet once and that was to order a free copy of Chu Chu Rocket.

I think it was just a link to a website with character bios and stuff. I don't remember it being very good.

On 4/15/2016 at 11:05 AM, BarryL85 said:

Got myself a VGA cable (really does make the image incredibly sharp) and cannot believe how good this game looks after 16 years...

Can I ask which cable you are using? - my VGA box has had it.

2 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Can I ask which cable you are using? - my VGA box has had it.

It was this one... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01850DCRY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However I paid £10 for it, it seems to have went up slightly, you could probably shop around. You don't need a VGA box with that type of cable.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Oracle said:

so does that cable replace the vga box? Does the box not do anything extra?

Yeah completely replaces it, it does the same job just without it.

On 16/04/2016 at 10:46 AM, gossi the dog said:

What were the "Online Functions" in Shenmue? 

Thinking about it, I only ever connected my Dreamcast to the internet once and that was to order a free copy of Chu Chu Rocket.

Leaderboards - for the arcade games (scores) and the action sequences (time to completion, generally). I remember mostly because I got the games a few days before release and was briefly in the top 10 for a good few.

God damn the DC is great in VGA - why did I wait this long??? F355 looks amazing. I now have a need to bulk up my DC collection. 

Is there a list of arcade classic that blessed the console?

Yoinked from reddit

Arcade

Capcom SNK Millenium Collection (1 and 2 and the special fan disk version)

Marvel vs Capcom (1 and 2)

Power Stone (1 and 2)

Street Fighter (alpha, 3rd strike, etc)

Dead or Alive 2

Soul Calibur

Virtua Fighter 3tb

Rival Schools 2

Mortal Kombat Gold

Vampire Chronicles

Non-fighting arcade

Dynamite Cop aka Die Hard

NFL Blitz (2k and 2k1)

NBA Showtime

Virtual Tennis 2

Steering wheel racing games

Crazy Taxi (1 and 2) 18 Wheeler 4 wheel Thunder Hydro Thunder Daytona USA (very different from the arcade version) San Francisco Rush:2049 F335

Controller Games

Virtual ON Tony Hawk (1 and 2) NFL 2k1 Sonic 1 and 2

You seem to be missing a lot of arcade games although whether all are classics is debateable. Off the top of my head I can think of:

Garou Mark of the Wolves

The Last Blade 2

King of Fighters (from 99 to 2003)

Fighting Vipers 2

Tech Romancer

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures

Sega Tetris

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo

Cannon Spike

Heavy Metal Geomatrix

Cosmic Smash

Cleopatra Fortune

The House of the Dead 2

Zombie Revenge

Confidential Mission

Virtua Cop 2

and a pile of classic shooters

HOTD, Conf Mission and Zombie Revenge, Cannon Spike are on my to do get list.

Shooters dont really grab me these days 

Scratch cannon spike - waaaaay expensive

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:46 AM, gossi the dog said:

I played a fair bit of NFL 2K and 2K1 online. I was horrible at them and lost practically every game, because the only people playing were Americans who'd grown up immersed in the sport and understood it far better than I did - but it was great fun.

The Dc I bought came with a VGA cable but I'm not overly keen on the image quality to be honest.  It's too sharp and clean. An RGB SCART lead came today so I'm hoping that'll provide a slightly softer interlaced image while still being sharper and more vivid than shitto-composite.

3 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Yeah you can have it when I've checked the RGB one is working. I'll hopefully get it set up st some point this week, or failing that, at the weekend. I'll give you a shout.

Ooh, cheers bud!

On 07/05/2016 at 1:34 PM, Oracle said:

HOTD, Conf Mission and Zombie Revenge, Cannon Spike are on my to do get list.

Always enjoyed Confidential Mission more than The House of the Dead 2, Virtua Cop 2 got a port Dreamcast port but not in Europe and strangely the Dreamcast port of VC2 is based on the Saturn port with all the extras and not the original model 2 arcade hardware.

For a real surreal and fantastic looking game there is Evil Twin Cyprien's Chroncles, sadly the gameplay could be much better it's not terrible but not great, European only release too and one of the last Dreamcast games: