IGNORED

The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

Elseb

16 hours ago, klargon said:

I wasn’t expecting owt for it. Just perpetuate the community spirit when you get the opportunity. It’s a fission, with a highly satisfying click. I guess the previous owner snapped the other handle off.

That's very kind of you. Many thanks. :)

However, I've been told I'm going to be banned from the forum, so I will have to decline.

Thanks to all who helped with setting up my DC, modding it, recommending items, etc. I'll miss you guys. :hat:

If anyone needs to contact me urgently, about items they sold to me, or something, message @strider who knows me on messenger.

Got my 480p SCART cable so here it is via a RetroTink5x upscaled to 1080p (and then by my TV to 4k). It's EXCELLENT!

I also tried with Bangai-O which doesn't support 480p, and in 480i mode with motion adaptive deinterlacing, it looks great too.

IMG_7444.thumb.jpeg.a602ffeee045d6449159f21046ff9ed7.jpeg

On 20/08/2021 at 11:44, strider said:

Been playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 and it's as good as I remember. The Dramatic Battles are like IK+ on steroids :lol:

Does Retrogamer ever look at homebrew Dreamcast games? Both Xenocider and Inprepid Izzy have come out in 2021 and been great releases, as good as any DC game in its prime. 

On 20/08/2021 at 11:44, strider said:

Been playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 and it's as good as I remember. The Dramatic Battles are like IK+ on steroids :lol:

I tried to play this today but it just won’t boot. I get the Dreamcast logo, then the SEGA splash screen, then the system seems to reset itself and the same happens on loop. A bit of Googling suggests that the game doesn’t run over RGB Scart, which is what I’m using. This is the Japanese version of the game by the way, on a modded PAL Dreamcast. I’ll probably just sell it to be honest. There are plenty of other ways to play Alpha 3. 

Just now, acidbearboy said:

I tried to play this today but it just won’t boot. I get the Dreamcast logo, then the SEGA splash screen, then the system seems to reset itself and the same happens on loop. A bit of Googling suggests that the game doesn’t run over RGB Scart, which is what I’m using. This is the Japanese version of the game by the way, on a modded PAL Dreamcast. I’ll probably just sell it to be honest. There are plenty of other ways to play Alpha 3. 

I’m using a rgb pvm and its working fine. I tried loads of versions mind.

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Does Retrogamer ever look at homebrew Dreamcast games? Both Xenocider and Inprepid Izzy have come out in 2021 and been great releases, as good as any DC game in its prime. 

We did until our writer sadly died of COVID.

We may revisit the section down the line.

37 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

I know there's plenty of info for VGA compatibility out there but is there a list of games which don't run over RGB Scart?

is that a thing?

2 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I know there's plenty of info for VGA compatibility out there but is there a list of games which don't run over RGB Scart?

I find looking for VGA compatibility lists difficult. None I’ve seen is comprehensive. I just look for it at the back of any game I’m interested in. I think there’s only a handful of non RGB compatible games, so must be out there.

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

is that a thing?

A small thing, by the sounds of it.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=926271

I found this topic whilst searching for an answer to why SF Zero 3 wasn't booting, which mentions a few games

Japanese version of SF Zero 3 for example does NOT support RGB output. Composite, s-video and VGA only. There's at least one title which does not even support RGB *or* VGA.

Same for japanese Skies of Arcadia, no RGB cable support.

Super Street Fighter IIX and Vampire Chronicle, both for Matching Service, don't support RGB and will only show the top-left quadrant of the picture. They do support VGA though.

The Japanese DC GD-Rom disc of Konami's Pop N' Music doesn't support RGB nor does it support VGA output whatsoever...it's only composite video or S-Video output only.

The same for Gunbird 2. 

image.gif.c45899efd79ded72c4f00223728a4e1d.gif

Intrepid Izzy is a must. I don’t hear much love for the Dreamcast homebrew scene here but there’s been some corkers over the last year with Xeno Crisis, Xenocider, Flea! and now this. It’s by Senile Team who made Beats of Rage and Rush Rush Rally but this is far superior to their previous games. Plays like a Metroidvania with a bit of a nod to sonic-like platforming and scrolling fighters. The animation is a fluid 60fps and stands as some of the best 2D graphics on the console. It’s also damn good to play, been on it constantly over the last few days. 

Pick it up, keep supporting new Dreamcast games in 2021 and add a banger to your collection. 

18 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

image.gif.c45899efd79ded72c4f00223728a4e1d.gif

Intrepid Izzy is a must. I don’t hear much love for the Dreamcast homebrew scene here but there’s been some corkers over the last year with Xeno Crisis, Xenocider, Flea! and now this. It’s by Senile Team who made Beats of Rage and Rush Rush Rally but this is far superior to their previous games. Plays like a Metroidvania with a bit of a nod to sonic-like platforming and scrolling fighters. The animation is a fluid 60fps and stands as some of the best 2D graphics on the console. It’s also damn good to play, been on it constantly over the last few days. 

Pick it up, keep supporting new Dreamcast games in 2021 and add a banger to your collection. 

Had no idea Flea! was on Dreamcast. I loved that on the Evercade compilation.

31 minutes ago, strider said:

Had no idea Flea! was on Dreamcast. I loved that on the Evercade compilation.

Best format is the Dreamcast as you get to look at its cute face as you play.  

7FE5B24F-5C42-439B-A714-065F1881773A.thumb.jpeg.849ccae3e9a0cfb4718bc603e70210e7.jpeg

The developer’s next game; Tapeworm, should be out for the Dreamcast (and NES) later this year. 

1 minute ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Best format is the Dreamcast as you get to look at its cute face as you play.  

7FE5B24F-5C42-439B-A714-065F1881773A.thumb.jpeg.849ccae3e9a0cfb4718bc603e70210e7.jpeg

The developer’s next game; Tapeworm, should be out for the Dreamcast (and NES) later this year. 

LOL. I regret embracing ODE now. They look great.

On 23/08/2021 at 23:04, Oh Danny Boy said:

I got sent a review copies of Intrepid Izzy for PC and Dreamcast, but yes it's a great Metroid style adventure for Dreamcast, some great mini-games to boot as well and I do like Senile Team music and graphical style. It's been out on PC for a while, but the DC version has a number of improvements not yet in the PC release. I covered the first half hour of gameplay here:

One downside for PAL Dreamcast owners the game only supports 60Hz via VGA, it doesn't have a PAL 60Hz switch option in the menu if you use standard cables like RGB Scart on a PAL Dreamcast. Then you can't switch it to 60Hz on boot as for PAL consoles it boots the game into 50Hz. The game is optimised for 50Hz speed wise (but need to double check that myself), but you do get the 480 image shown in a 576 window, resulting in blank lines at the top and bottom. I've mentioned it to Senile Team, most Dreamcast owners use VGA these days, but even I still use RGB Scart quite often on a CRT, so it's a bit annoying.

15 minutes ago, Riven said:

One downside for PAL Dreamcast owners the game only supports 60Hz via VGA, it doesn't have a PAL 60Hz switch option in the menu if you use standard cables like RGB Scart on a PAL Dreamcast. Then you can't switch it to 60Hz on boot as for PAL consoles it boots the game into 50Hz. The game is optimised for 50Hz speed wise (but need to double check that myself), but you do get the 480 image shown in a 576 window, resulting in blank lines at the top and bottom. I've mentioned it to Senile Team, most Dreamcast owners use VGA these days, but even I still use RGB Scart quite often on a CRT, so it's a bit annoying.

Do you have an S-video input on your CRT? S-video is totally under-rated and will alleviate all compatiblity issues. 

Turns out I was only banned for a day.

Anyway, I came back because I wanted to give my evaluation of the USB-GD as suggested by @ianinthefuture, now that I've installed it.

I absolutely hate it and wished I'd gone with GDEMU.

GDEMU allows you to force boot anything in 60hz, thus making it priceless:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/9ruwq0/gdemu_pal_dreamcast_will_my_games_run_in_60hz/

Turns out USB-GD does not allow this. Making it utterly worthless to me.

Trying to run certain NTSC games on a PAL Dreamcast with USB-GD results in it forcibly booting itself into 50Hz - meaning a letterboxed screen and slowdown. Disgusting. The following games are all broken:

* Armada (US)

* Bomber Hehhe (JP)

* Border Down (JP)

* Daytona USA (US)

* Grandia II (US)

* Ikaruga (JP)

* Psyvariar 2 (JP)

* Sega Rally 2 (US)

* Soul Calibur (US)

USB-GD is therefore not fit for purpose.

I don't want to pay extra for an NTSC console. If GDEMU can make a PAL console dance like a 60hz marionette then so should this! And I have zero intention of using VGA since my Sony Trinitorn CRT does not have a VGA input, it uses SCART.

The one thing I wanted to do, to sit down and play some American and Japanese games, I can't do because they run like trash. I literally had to redownload Soul Calibur in PAL format to enjoy 60Hz gaming. Which was fine (if slightly insane - NTSC is 50hz only, and only PAL allows 60hz). But there's a long list of games which are NTSC exclusive yet run in 50Hz, or the PAL releases are 50Hz only. For example Grandia II - the NTSC version boots in 50Hz, and the PAL version has no 60Hz option, so is only 50Hz. How do I make Grandia II be normal?!

If I'd gotten GDEMU then all of these games would, according to people on Reddit, run flawlessly in 60Hz on my CRT over RGB SCART. You could just force them to run in 60Hz.

I'm now stuck with the choices of playing trash in 50Hz (yuck!), or buying a GDEMU clone, uninstalling USB-GD, and then reinstalling this new device. Or maybe just sell the Dreamcast. I am honestly shocked at how badly my memories have betrayed me with this. Everything I want to play is forced into 50Hz.

(I've tried using GameShark, which allows forced booting into NTSC mode, but that results in 40% of the screen being chopped off.)

I've asked on Dreamcast-Talk and seemingly no one has a solution. If you have USB-GD there is no way to make a PAL system play in 60Hz, unlike if you had a GDEMU. This is an overwhelming oversight for USB-GD. It might as well disable VMU usage or two player modes - 60Hz is more essential than having sound.

If you want an ODE solution:

Go with GDEMU. The forced 60Hz is worth the trouble of building an SD card directory every time you want to add a new game.