IGNORED

The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

Elseb

8 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

If that happens then stick a 300ohm resistor between the 12v and ground pins on the psu

That's exactly what I did. I also got a wee mount that was about £12 to divert the air in the same routes as the GDRom drive did. 

In another note, my Clone GDEmu was working fine for weeks. Then all of a sudden it just started to freeze on the menu about 10 seconds after booting. Anyone got any ideas on what could be up?

50 minutes ago, Sketch said:

So...

I need:

* a working Dreamcast

* a 1/4w 300 ohm thin film resistor

* a new USB flash stick (2TB max - any brand?)

Am I forgetting anything? :unsure:

Yes: a length of card approx 30mm x 180mm to stick down the side of the psu.

Fixed that for you.

edit: whilst it's open maybe give the psu pins a quick clean up. They are the no1 cause of dreamcast issues.

18 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

if you are going with the nmeno dcusb thingy I’m not sure the 12v is left floating. Either way I would only bother with the card diverted for now and then worry later if things get too hot for your liking. If that happens then stick a 300ohm resistor between the 12v and ground pins on the psu. That will simulate a load on the 12v line. 

Thanks for the advice. According to 8bitplus the USB mod does indeed cause extra heating:

http://8bitplus.co.uk/projects/dreamcast-usb-gdrom-ode-board/

I'll go with the card route at first, add resistors if it seems a bit too hot still, and upgrade the PSU if all else fails.

Please keep in mind if I die in a fire I will come back to haunt you.

EDIT:

Just to confirm, since I need the VA1 model, I've been eyeing systems with a number #1 inside a circle next to the PAL box on the underside. That's definitely a VA1 according to Google. But I wanted to be sure there isn't some weird fringe 0.1% of systems that have the 1 in the circle but are actually VA2 on the motherboard.

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

Does anyone know what sort of battery mod this is? Not seen one done like this before. 

IMG_20210805_152925.jpg

That looks like a regular battery just with a wire to connect the + or - terminal, whichever one it is. Perhaps the battery was replaced with one that didn't have the metal legs the original did, so a wire's taking its place. It's certainly not the usual quick-swap battery cradle mod.

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

I need:

* a working Dreamcast

You'd think, yes.

* a new PSU (Pico or DreamPSU - which one and who has stock?)

I opted for this one: https://boutique-dragoncity.myshopify.com/collections/dreamcast/products/dreamcast-alimentation-dc-psu

* a 3D printed tray for this new PSU (where from?)

Not necessary

* new power adapter to snuggle inside the PSU and feed it juice (which kind?)

It'll be an external power brick - 12v minimum 3a, with a connector that fits the new PSU (usually 5.5mm by 2.5mm - a standard measurement). I got one of these, it's perfect: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D71J32S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

* some ohm resistors

Not with the new PSU

* a 3D printed tray for the USB device to correct airflow (where from?)

Not hugely necessary

* tape?

Re-record, not fade away

* I need to remove the 12v rail

Not with a new PSU

* a special RGB SCART cable that uses 5v for v-blanking (from RretroCables?)

No idea on this, I have DCHDMI because who needs savings to fix the boiler

The cheap-ass HDMI adapters that are everywhere - Bitfunx, Pound etc - are decent enough as a stopgap

* a new USB flash stick (2TB max - any brand?)

I use a cheapo M.2 SSD with a USB adapter, fits nicely inside the housing. Some people report certain brands not working and recommend using a USB2.0 stick, but I've used plenty of USB3 stuff and had no issues. But it is a bit of a roll of the dice.

(I got this one in 1TB, I didn't get it for the DC but that's where it's ended up being used)

* extra strong diazepam to make all this seem easy and dream-like. Dreamcast like?

Prefer clonazepam myself, but yes

Am I forgetting anything? :unsure:

A new fan! Because there's a fan mod too - helps it run a bit cooler and makes it a lot quieter than the stock fan. Not 100% necessary, definitely nice to have though.

This explains the process, but honestly you can get premade kits on eBay that cut out 90% of the faff.

Oh and you can replace the battery with a caddy that lets you easily install replacement batteries, switch out a resistor for a resettable one that bypasses a potential problem with the controller board dying when something's plugged in when the console's switched on, and you can solder in a new blue LED to make it all a bit sexier. They're all nice-to-haves too, cost a few quid for a pack of all those bits but you would need to solder them in yourself.

Source: spent way too much modding my DC and the others I did up.

1 hour ago, ianinthefuture said:

That looks like a regular battery just with a wire to connect the + or - terminal, whichever one it is. Perhaps the battery was replaced with one that didn't have the metal legs the original did, so a wire's taking its place. It's certainly not the usual quick-swap battery cradle mod.

Also just to add, unless they’ve put a reverse current diode in place that’s an explosion waiting to happen. The DC charges the coin cell hence you need a 2032ML coin. A regular CR2032 will work fine until the charging current makes it go pop. 

So was chatting with @strider and apparently his USB-GD-ROM has bricked itself due to the firmware timing out?

Then I went Googling, and found lots of threads:

Dreamcast Talk

Reddit

Twitter

Is this correct @ianinthefuture ? Apparently he was also supposed to have removed it in the last firmware update?

But that email thread in Reddit makes it seem he's not very responsive at all.

Terror levels at actually using this device are back up to 11. :unsure:

He's also removed it (see later in those threads). The code it's asking for now is a 'proof of delivery' thing. You mail him, he sends you a code, you enter it once, it's done.

Just been talking to Darran, I thought the code was generic but it might be specific to different units.

4 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

He's also removed it (see later in those threads). The code it's asking for now is a 'proof of delivery' thing. You mail him, he sends you a code, you enter it once, it's done.

Just been talking to Darran, I thought the code was generic but it might be specific to different units.

Good to know, thanks. :)

For what it's worth I wouldn't remove the 12v rail if you want a PAL CRT to properly detect RGB video.

Personally I'm totally happy with a GDEMU clone (& added resistor to keep heat down) and a noctua fan mod. Had this setup for a years now without issues. Modding the menu itself to look exactly how you want it is a doddle too - as well as using Madsheep's SD card maker tool (although I appreciate it probably isn't so trivial on a non-Windows machine). 

Anyway, I caught up on a few new-ish Dreamcast releases the other night, including the translation 'Boku Dream Master' (made by the same devs behind the DC's only controlled demolition simulation 'Bomber Hehee')..and it's pretty wild for a comedic adventure type game. So far I've tried to meet some tricky quotas in a deathtrap factory job but it was worth every moment for the repeated accident animation sequence. Truly don't know what this game has in store for me (nearest vibe comparison might be SegaGaGa) but I like it.

Also, R-Type Delta via Bleemcast for GDEMU was way too enjoyable for its own good.

30 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Seems there's been quite a few DC fan-translations by now!

https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2021/02/5-dreamcast-fan-translations-you-may.html

Yeah, there have been a slew of obscure, often text-heavy, high quality fan translations in recent to times. 

Napple Tale is one I need to return to - the music is outstanding. Also more keyboard games complementing Typing of the Dead cannot be a bad thing. 

But yeah, between the official titles, translations, enhancement mods, the 27 Atomiswave conversions, emulation packages and random homebrew there's a lot of worthy stuff to experience in the DC library for sure.

On 08/08/2021 at 20:18, strider said:

Right well I've emailed the creator and I'll have to hope they take pity on me and give me the unlock code. Was looking forward to playing Charge And Blast tonight as well.

Mnemo (the creator) fixed this for Daz, by the way. Just needed a different, specific, unlock code.

He's curt and often slow to respond, but I've never heard of him not helping people who have issues with his kit. It's part of why I'm a fan of the USB GDROM.

I'm still not on commission.

29 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

He's curt and often slow to respond, but I've never heard of him not helping people who have issues with his kit. It's part of why I'm a fan of the USB GDROM.

Mine and my new DC are both on the way! :D Plus a rod, gun, wheel, mic, etc. Undecided about the maracas though...

Just to pimp my trading thread, may be of interest if anyone has missed it.

Official VMU £6 each (have 6 available)

Official light gun £18

Official keyboard £3

Fission fishing rod £10

Xploder disc £10

Have photos so can email over

Fuck sticks. I literally just bought a gun before seeing this. And I paid way over the odds. :(

Your pimp hand is weak, Tonald, weak!

(I'm gonna PM about that keyboard though)

EDIT:

OK, peripherals have started arriving through the post, and I discovered that apparently, you cannot navigate the menu of USB-GD using non-controllers (so the gun, fishing rod, steering wheel, etc.). Meaning you have to hot swap after loading a game. Which runs the risk of blowing the F1 fuse. Luckily it's a super easy mod, replacing it with a Resettable Fuse PolySwitch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X77Q7A0/

Next I bought this 256 micro SD card

And this Micro SD to USB adapter

I'm doing this right, aren't I? I nearly opted for the replacement ML battery too, but maybe the one in my system works. I just hope the SD card and adapter work. I opted for that since in a worst case scenario I'll just put it in my Lumix camera.

@ianinthefuture - do you use many of the other peripherals in your super beefed up Dreamcast system?

7 hours ago, Sketch said:

@ianinthefuture - do you use many of the other peripherals in your super beefed up Dreamcast system?

Controllers, nothing else. I have a couple of different wireless solutions - a Brook adapter so most Bluetooth pads can be used, and a Dreamconn. And a Retro Fighters wired controller, which I actually use the most as it's very good indeed.

Regarding hotswapping peripherals - surely this isn't necessary?

I mean, I usually keep a gun plugged in to port 2 (for regular DC gun games) or switch it to port 3 before booting (as required for Atomiswave gun games) - and a keyboard (sometimes with a mouse) floating on whatever spare ports. A normal controller stays in port 1.

I haven't encountered any peripherals not being recognised / rendered unusable by any games yet.

As an aside I read somewhere once that Soul Calibur is pretty cool not only with a fishing rod but with a keyboard too; most games apparently feature support for unlikely peripherals because Sega made it an official requirement for all devs that nothing inserted into those ports should cause problems. 

23 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

Controllers, nothing else.

Genuinely surprised. I've always felt the Dreamcast was one of the strongest consoles for peripherals. Sega went all in from the launch. Rod, gun, modem, keyboard, mouse, mic, steering wheel, VMU handheld consoles/mem card etc. Then later on maracas! Sure, you need a CRT to use the gun today, but to hear you use only controllers... I dunno, the dreamvision of your all-singing all-dancing system has died somewhat.

Personally, part of my reason to get a system, rather than emulate, is specifically for the peripherals. I was going to emulate TimeStalkers, then read it had a lot of VMU games, and then I was like: there's so many peripheral using games, maybe I should reinvest?

Has any other console had quite as much? PS1 maybe? I never really paid attention to any console peripherals until the Dreamcast.

17 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Regarding hotswapping peripherals - surely this isn't necessary?

I honestly don't know. I last owned one around 2011 or so? Sold everything. I genuinely cannot recall how I had stuff set-up. I think I just switched it off and switched controllers as needed. I recall my parents (back in 1999) really liked playing Sega Bass Fishing, so we kept the DC in the lounge, and I showed them how to set it up when I wasn't there. I think maybe, we only had each peripheral (rod, gun, keyboard) in port 1 as it was needed.

Never had a steering wheel. Well, not before. I have one now - arrived yesterday! :D

Will all of them work when left in port 2?

@Sketch

Basically there's no need to hotswap peripherals once the console is running, as they're read fine from other ports, in my experience. 

Admittedly I've far from tested the entire library and its games dependent on peripherals (and am missing a few of them - no Seaman for me, sadly) but I *don't think* you particularly need to worry about this.

1 hour ago, spanky debrest said:

@Sketch

Basically there's no need to hotswap peripherals once the console is running, as they're read fine from other ports, in my experience. 

Admittedly I've far from tested the entire library and its games dependent on peripherals (and am missing a few of them - no Seaman for me, sadly) but I *don't think* you particularly need to worry about this.

I've just loaded up The House Of The Dead 2 with the gun in port 3 and the Dreamcast didn't recognise it. However, I put the Dreamcast gun in port 1 and I could use the d-pad to easily go through the USBGD-ROM's menu so I simply played it like that.

1 hour ago, strider said:

I've just loaded up The House Of The Dead 2 with the gun in port 3 and the Dreamcast didn't recognise it. However, I put the Dreamcast gun in port 1 and I could use the d-pad to easily go through the USBGD-ROM's menu so I simply played it like that.

Interesting.

I haven't ever had the gun in port 1 to check if GD-MENU (the front end) treats it as a controller - but seeing as you confirm that the USBGD-ROM front end does @Sketchtruly doesn't need to worry it seems.

it's only with the Atomiswave gun games that port 3 needs to be used though, due to how the conversions were coded. 

8 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Interesting.

I haven't ever had the gun in port 1 to check if GD-MENU (the front end) treats it as a controller - but seeing as you confirm that the USBGD-ROM front end does @Sketchtruly doesn't need to worry it seems.

it's only with the Atomiswave gun games that port 3 needs to be used though, due to how the conversions were coded. 

I've not tried the Atomiswave gun games yet. Will have a go over the weekend.

I may try my fishing controller later, although I think the motor or something has gone in it.

12 hours ago, Sketch said:

Genuinely surprised. I've always felt the Dreamcast was one of the strongest consoles for peripherals. Sega went all in from the launch. Rod, gun, modem, keyboard, mouse, mic, steering wheel, VMU handheld consoles/mem card etc. Then later on maracas! Sure, you need a CRT to use the gun today, but to hear you use only controllers... I dunno, the dreamvision of your all-singing all-dancing system has died somewhat.

I've always, even since kid-age, been turned off by peripherals. Rightly or wrongly, they've just always been a barrier between me and bothering with something. Think we had a dance mat for the PlayStation, and the obligatory light gun of course, but nothing else.

If a) peripherals are cheap enough and b) the games that use them are actually worth playing, and c) see a) again, I might have a look at some point. But then there's also that I got distracted ultimate-ising other consoles.