IGNORED

The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

Elseb

17 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

(I have a DCDigital and PS1Digital, so am slightly biased)

Do you emulate the Dreamcast at all? In terms of visual quality, would you be able to compare upscaled emulation on 720 or 1080 HDTVs compared to an actual DC with DCDigital output to the same televisions?

57 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Do you emulate the Dreamcast at all? In terms of visual quality, would you be able to compare upscaled emulation on 720 or 1080 HDTVs compared to an actual DC with DCDigital output to the same televisions?

Okay so I did just that, but they're pictures of a screen so are a bit crappy by nature. Anyway:

These are redream running via HDMI direct to the telly in the pic (I think there's some desktop scaling issues I couldn't be bothered fixing)

These are DCDigital equipped Dreamcast direct to the telly (960p rather than 1080p, just as it gets rid of borders - I think technically the 1080p scaling is crisper, not sure)

1 hour ago, bluejmc2005 said:

Just listed a kaico adapter in trading, really impressed with it considering the cost 

Also, just ordered one of these. 

https://8bitmods.com/strikerdc-colour-edition-blue/?gclid=CjwKCAjwy42FBhB2EiwAJY0yQpgZmm-0sFZXFdxuZBzigwKxTrYocj-njUx5Bh4Zn9vgKJEpl3xjjRoC8UoQAvD_BwE

I've a black one of those, I now rarely, if ever, use the original DC pad/s. It's rather great.

3 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

Okay so I did just that, but they're pictures of a screen so are a bit crappy by nature. Anyway:

These are redream running via HDMI direct to the telly in the pic (I think there's some desktop scaling issues I couldn't be bothered fixing)

These are DCDigital equipped Dreamcast direct to the telly (960p rather than 1080p, just as it gets rid of borders - I think technically the 1080p scaling is crisper, not sure)

OH WOW! You have gone well and beyond the call of duty. Sincerely, thank you very much kind sir. :hat:

These are interesting. There's not a lot of difference in them - by which, I had assumed that emulating would be vastly superior, but actually the DCDigital seems to be doing quite a nice job. Which one would hope given the monetary and skill investment they require.

I shall dwell on these a time.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

OH WOW! You have gone well and beyond the call of duty. Sincerely, thank you very much kind sir. :hat:

These are interesting. There's not a lot of difference in them - by which, I had assumed that emulating would be vastly superior, but actually the DCDigital seems to be doing quite a nice job. Which one would hope given the monetary and skill investment they require.

I shall dwell on these a time.

No worries, took five minutes to switch around some HDMI cables is all!

DCDigital does look remarkable all things considered, but I would assume you can get more out of emulation visually. I'm just a sucker for original hardware.

I keep looking at my dreamcast and thinking I should get an hdmi adaptor and fire it up. 

And then I think - what would I actually play on it that's not been reteleased or had a better sequel? 

So, here's the question: what's on DC that isn't on 360 or hasn't since been bettered? 

11 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I keep looking at my dreamcast and thinking I should get an hdmi adaptor and fire it up. 

And then I think - what would I actually play on it that's not been reteleased or had a better sequel? 

So, here's the question: what's on DC that isn't on 360 or hasn't since been bettered? 

Toy Commander and Illbleed.

Never had a rerelease, either of them, and there is nothing else like either of them.

17 minutes ago, Camel said:

Zero Gunner 2.

That's on Switch though. And Under Defeat is pretty similar and on multiple formats?

ooh, I forgot one!

Industrial Spy: Operation Espionage

It's a spy based RPG years before Alpha Protocol tried it. Hella cool looking, unique mechanics, and despite critics panning it, I've read lots of positive fan reviews.

Also Elemental Gimmick Gear. A lush blend of 2D visuals and 3D mecha combat.

Elemental-Gimmick-Gear-7.png

Under Defeat plays nothing like Zero Gunner 2. I mean they're both shooty games featuring helicopters but if that's your criteria for similar then hey, just play anything. They're all videogames right?

The Switch version was created from scratch as they didn't have the source code. I haven't played it though so maybe they nailed it.

2 minutes ago, Camel said:

Under Defeat plays nothing like Zero Gunner 2. I mean they're both shooty games featuring helicopters but if that's your criteria for similar then hey, just play anything. They're all videogames right?

My apologies old chap, I'd played ZG2, and had UD on my shelf but not actually unwrapped it. :hat:

3 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Cosmic Smash, I’ll never understand why that’s not had a sequel or rerelease. Power stone, virtual tennis (still the best tennis game ever), bangai-o (unfortunately not vga compatible so doesn’t work on the hdmi adapter). Lots of homebrew releases; Xenocider came out a couple of months back, definitely check that out. The texorcist is out soon too and Andros Dunos 2. Then check out Xeno crisis, Flea, Alice dreams tournament and Sturmwind.

They definitely didn't nail it with ZG2-, unfortunately. It's had a few patches to sort out some graphical issues, but it's still full of inaccuracies, like enemies appearing at different times or not firing, the main shot power being too high, the second loop being absent, and so on.

I managed to get a JP Dreamcast copy for around £70 recently, which is still a silly price but about half of what most people ask for it. Set up a 'saved search' on ebay and be patient, I guess!

Dynamite Cop

Zombie Revenge

Project Justice

Propeller Arena

Best version of Crazy Taxi, only version of Crazy Taxi 2

Only version of Virtua Fighter 3TB

Best version of Soul Calibur

Blue Stinger

Hydro Thunder

4 Wheel Thunder

I think the Dreamcast version of UFC has never been bettered in terms of fun to play. 

11 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

This was done in 2018 so bear that in mind when the Shenmue mention arrives. And maybe others, I've not checked.

So, I have resurrected my Dreamcase (i.e. plugged it in again) after buying a DC toro adapter. A couple of questions:

• The fan seems to be EXTREMELY loud. Is replacing the fan on a DC a thing?
  • The drive also seems loud, which has me worried. Are they prone to failing?

I am considering one of those drive replacements for it.

4 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

So, I have resurrected my Dreamcase (i.e. plugged it in again) after buying a DC toro adapter. A couple of questions:

yes - slimline brushless fan and dreamcast mounting kit, might reduce the noise

no- just needs regreasing the rails probably 

21 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

The Noctua fan replacement thingy posted above is the way to go - whisper quiet, and while it needs the 3D printed bracket it does fit perfectly. Easy to install too.