The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

Elseb

I've got some of the older DC homebrews. Ghost Blade is ok, I really wanted to like Gunlord but it just didn't click. Rush Rush Rally Racing DX is great. Dux and Sturmwind both felt lacklustre. Fast Striker is alright, Last Hope is pointlessly difficult even with the pink bullets. Water Margin was a bit crap and I've never even tried the three at the top or Redux.

spacer.png

I want to try Gunlord, will probably be more easier to find on the Switch than the Dreamcast.  I’ve heard very good things about Sturmwind and want to give that a try so have picked that up. 

This is out this month. Looking forward to it, preordered mine. 

41 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

I didn't get on with Gunlord because the Turrican formula has never worked for me.

Sturmwind however - I thought it was pretty impressive and played great. Hard as balls though.

That’s also my issue with Gunlord. I love the look of it and the idea, I just don’t like it in practice. 

I don’t have a CRT set up etc. The Dreamcast however looks great hooked up via HDMI on my 24inch.  I really don’t want the hassle of switching over cables or doing it’s games the disservice of playing them through composite. So on the search for a definite list of VGA compatible/non compatible games but seems to be none around, does anyone have a good idea? I hear Bangai-o isn’t VGA compatible :( 

I'm not aware of a definitive video out compatibility guide but I have come across a few games that don't play nice with RGB on my NTSC DC: Skies Of Arcadia, Hydro Thunder and Gauntlet Legends.

I'm not fussed about the latter two but one of these days I need to break out the VGA box for it's additional composite out so I can finally get around to playing that marquee Sega classic I've owned since launch. One of these days.

And yeah, Bangai-O isn't VGA compatible from what I understand. RGB or composite is needed. 

Also I believe the only way to bypass the video out crapshoot is by installing a DC Digital HDMI board.  

On 07/05/2021 at 12:56, spanky debrest said:

I didn't get on with Gunlord because the Turrican formula has never worked for me.

Sturmwind however - I thought it was pretty impressive and played great. Hard as balls though.

Got Sturmwind through the post today and have loved it. The best side scrolling shmup I’ve played in years, and looks stunning! Absolutely adore the video capture backgrounds, you can sort of feel it’s Jaguar CD origins as it has that early CD Rom game vibe but working at far more technically proficient level. One of the best looking shmups in the Dreamcast. 

It’s hard but very fair. Any player at any level can chip away at it and complete it even if you’re pretty useless at shmups like me. 

I should give Sturmwind another go, I can't remember the section a few levels in that always destroyed me - it's been that long.

I think the shooter library on DC in general is disproportionately loaded with some obscenely tough games - well, the ones I find more engaging anyway. Kinda takes the shine off some of them in my old age and why over the last 20-odd years there are only a small handful that ended up getting rinsed.

In other news, House of the Dead 2 and Confidential Mission are still incredible lightgun games. So much fun, and perfectly paced. Quintessential arcade gems, and immaculately put together.

Installed a GDEMU on my DC today. Took about 25 mins, and I got a nice cover to replace the drive in the console & push airflow. Using the software to create my SD card there's a wee "force VGA button. Really handy, because now I can play everything via the Pound HDMI cable, rather than some games failing.

A54F4469-40BB-4066-B687-F23C0D8712B7.jpeg

On 09/05/2021 at 16:33, Mr Tony said:

Installed a GDEMU on my DC today. Took about 25 mins, and I got a nice cover to replace the drive in the console & push airflow. Using the software to create my SD card there's a wee "force VGA button. Really handy, because now I can play everything via the Pound HDMI cable, rather than some games failing.

A54F4469-40BB-4066-B687-F23C0D8712B7.jpeg

Gave the software a run last night. Very happy with it. Loads of disk based games that didn't work on VGA now work fine. Railroad Tycoon 2 doesn't work at all for me though. Just sits on a black screen, same as the retail copy with a VGA cable. Gutted about that!

Would anyone be able to assist me in getting the atomiswave games running? Do I need GDemu? I have an SD card reader on one of my Dreamcasts.

The VGA button and optical drive inlay look nice @Mr Tony; where can we get that stuff?

7 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Would anyone be able to assist me in getting the atomiswave games running? Do I need GDemu? I have an SD card reader on one of my Dreamcasts.

The VGA button and optical drive inlay look nice @Mr Tony; where can we get that stuff?

I picked it up off ebay for about 11 quid: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=gdemu+mount&_sacat=0

Anybody bought one of the 3rd party console shells out there? They’ve been around £100 for ages but you can get them for closer to £50 now. 

Tempted to get a nice Sonic Blue one to replace the bashed / slowly yellowing stock one I have.

Anyone know where I could get replacement white CD jewel cases (for Japanese DC games)? I picked up a copy of Shikigami no Shiro II and it's in mint condition except for the case reeking of cigs. :(

3 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Anyone know where I could get replacement white CD jewel cases (for Japanese DC games)? I picked up a copy of Shikigami no Shiro II and it's in mint condition except for the case reeking of cigs. :(

Give it a clean/wash?

After seeing a GDEmu and HDMI modded DC for sale in this forum (missed out on it), I've been thinking about getting one again. Currently I just emulate on my PC connected to a 1080 TV.

Is this any good? Does this even have the HDMI mod I keep hearing about? Because to me it just looks like he's using some kind pof HDMI upscaler? So confused. :unsure:

It's also got a clone GDEmu board, which cannot be upgraded beyond the 5.15 firmware.

I've read that the official 5.20 firmware is kinda buggy and not worth upgrading anyway. It only fixes a crash bug in SOA and Code Veronica, neither of which I care about since I have them on GC and PS2 respectively.  I want the DC for the exclusives, like D2, Industrial Spy, EGG, Toy Commander, and The Ring. Plus I want to play TimeStalkers, and it seems you absolutely have to use the VMU to make the most of it.

But then i read that the clones have trouble with disc swapping D2, due to some weird technical gubbins?

Suggestions? Advice? Recommendations?

Should I just stick with emulation? How good is the HDMI mod, really? Does the DC look good on 1080 HDTV, or am I better emulating since that upscales everything including texture smoothing? Are there different types of HDMI solutions?

Yeah that’s just using a £35 external dongle for hdmi and a £50 clone gdemu. Well over the odds unless a £15 additive manufactured insert and a noctua fan is worth £150 to you. 

I had a 5.15 clone and it worked fine. I think they’re much of a muchness now. 

dongle: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07SK85NGH/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07SK85NGHp13NParams

Also these external dongles use the vga output so if the game is not vga compatible it won’t work. The gdemu clones can force vga compatibility for a few of the hold outs. The dcdigital taps the gpu at source so is output agnostic. 

23 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Check eBay for cheap junk titles with the same case to swap over. 

20 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

The gdemu clones can force vga compatibility for a few of the hold outs.

Although not for Railroad Tycoon 2. That officially supports VGA, but it doesn't actually work over VGA & forcing it with GDEmu gives the same black screen result.

21 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Yeah that’s just using a £35 external dongle for hdmi and a £50 clone gdemu. Well over the odds unless a £15 additive manufactured insert and a noctua fan is worth £150 to you.

Huzaah! I thought so. Thank you for saving me from a bad purchase. A few gubbins is not worth £150. :ph34r:

Doing some reading, it seems I want a DC with the DCDigital circuit board installed (£150) plus an official GDemu (130 euro). Or maybe a clone since they seem compatible enough these days. I'll just wait until one shows up on here in the sales forum.

Many thanks again for all the info. I feel confidently enlightened now to make an informed and correct purchase.

I have the RHEA board from the guy who makes GDEmu, and it's fantastic. I don't know why he doesn't do something to upscale production - the demand is very clearly there. I would pay more than the 130 euro he was asking if he upscaled production but maintained the same build quality as with RHEA.

On the 8bit website, the DCDigital says it updates via WiFi - does this mean it's broadcast a constant WiFi signal looking for a response?

1 minute ago, bplus said:

Is the hdmi mod really much better than a VGA cable?

Good question. My HDTV actually has VGA input. (But then the question is, how do you get sound?)

1 minute ago, Colonel Panic said:

I believe the HDMI mod will do some scaling for you instead of putting you at the mercy of your TVs scaler or some external scaler. 

in the case of an OSSC, I reckon there isn’t much in it. 

Thanks. I ended up getting the best picture by passthru with ossc and vga, I'm probably doing something wrong!