IGNORED

The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

Elseb

14 minutes ago, Fuddle said:

I always really liked sega rally on Dreamcast, I don’t think it deserved the bad rep it got. Shame it’s one of the few games you still can’t emulate for some reason. (Unless that’s changed recently)

is it the reliance on the WindowsCE component of the Dreamcast?

1 hour ago, Fuddle said:

I always really liked sega rally on Dreamcast, I don’t think it deserved the bad rep it got. Shame it’s one of the few games you still can’t emulate for some reason. (Unless that’s changed recently)

I think the problem is it isn’t quite as good as the original Sega Rally and the port being a let down on what was supposed to be this super powered console. Sega really rushed those initial Japanese launch games that could have done with an extra 6 months to be perfect. Although it’s amazing we got Sega rally 2 at all considering this was a quick rush job from the pc version because the original port wasn’t going so great. Would have been nice to see that to see how bad it really was.

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

is it the reliance on the WindowsCE component of the Dreamcast?

I assume so, but I’ve no idea how these things work. As a lay person you’d think it being some kind of windows would make it easier. But it’s always marked down as not working every time I’ve checked.

54 minutes ago, Fuddle said:

I assume so, but I’ve no idea how these things work. As a lay person you’d think it being some kind of windows would make it easier. But it’s always marked down as not working every time I’ve checked.

There were two ways of developing for the DC. One using the Windows CE layer which was easier, but less efficient. The other was with the low level Sega dev tools. Harder to use but have more access to the hardware.

Most (all?) CE based games don’t run via emulation.

13 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

It’s worth noting that it’s only redream that doesn’t do wince. The old emus such as nulldc do I believe. 

Oh really? I never really did any DC emu before Redream.

Google says Sega rally 2 got a pc release too, so that could be better than emulation?

I think I bought the DC version as soon as it came out. I loved it. Maybe mostly due to having an N64 and no playstation, a proper racing game was great to have.

15 minutes ago, bplus said:

Google says Sega rally 2 got a pc release too, so that could be better than emulation?

I think I bought the DC version as soon as it came out. I loved it. Maybe mostly due to having an N64 and no playstation, a proper racing game was great to have.

https://archive.org/details/segarally2_portable

you can get it from here. it works in windows 10 as well. 

6 hours ago, bplus said:

They’re pretty similar, the PC release has a low resolution limit although there appear to be a way around that.

The arcade release with the supermodel emulator looks interesting, I’ll give that a go. 

Just tried Dreamcast sega rally 2 on retro arch. Works fine. However it's pixelated as hell. Looks like a PS1 game. Even on higher res. 

I'm running on decent pc, ryzen 3600 , 1050 ti Nvidia.

Dreamcast with VGA straight into my TV looks a lot better.

On 14/03/2021 at 21:54, bplus said:

Got it from that myabandonware site, haven't had a chance to try it yet.

On the he Dreamcast conversion being not well thought of, is it just the 30fps the issue?

Dreamcast Sega Rally 2 was 60fps. It wasn't consistent though. there were actually two codes, one which reduced detail which would give you a more consistent framerate and a 30fps code which would halve your framerate. Apply both and SR2 stays at a locked 30fps. which is preferable to a variable 60fps.

Dug out my DC so I could play sega rally 2 properly. Compared to sega rally 1, it just doesn't seem as much fun. I liked it back in the day though. Also it wasn't the emulator making it look pixelated, it just is pixelated. I'll give arcade mode a few more goes.

Honestly though, I think the best sega rally might actually be the Xbox 360 version.

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

No, that's SS3 Desert. In time trial mode you can select Desert, Jungle, Mountain etc and there's different routes in each one. :) 

Thanks just came back to say I'd figured it out, had a quick go at lunch time!

Still can't figure out if I like the game or not. Loved it back in the day, but just hasn't aged as well as the first. I think.

My DC really doesn't like my Sony PVMs. I get washed out colours over RGB, composite on my NTSC DC is horribly distorted and on my PAL DC over PAL-60 is totally washed out. The only way I can really play is PAL-50 :angry:. Anyone else ever seen issues like this? I don't really want to have to go up in the loft and get one of the JVC monitors down just for my DC.

21 hours ago, bplus said:

Thanks just came back to say I'd figured it out, had a quick go at lunch time!

Still can't figure out if I like the game or not. Loved it back in the day, but just hasn't aged as well as the first. I think.

I really like it. It's great fun with the wheel, but I agree- the original '95 is a timeless masterpiece. I have played the Saturn version so much that the original Arcade version doesn't feel or sound right to me, such a blindingly good port. 

22 hours ago, phillv85 said:

My DC really doesn't like my Sony PVMs. I get washed out colours over RGB, composite on my NTSC DC is horribly distorted and on my PAL DC over PAL-60 is totally washed out. The only way I can really play is PAL-50 :angry:. Anyone else ever seen issues like this? I don't really want to have to go up in the loft and get one of the JVC monitors down just for my DC.

Could just be a bad RGB cable?

I play PAL-60 on my Sony PVM over RGB with no issues. It looks fantastic actually, crisper than Gamecube and PS2 RGB output.

1 hour ago, Marlowe said:

Could just be a bad RGB cable?

I play PAL-60 on my Sony PVM over RGB with no issues. It looks fantastic actually, crisper than Gamecube and PS2 RGB output.

I’ve tried a couple :unsure:

It may be the model of PVM I’m using. I’ve tried to eliminate it by using different Dreamcasts, different composite cables, RGB cables, two different PVM’s. Perhaps I should get a better quality RGB cable after all, the three I’ve used are all old ones.

Have dug my remaining gaming collection out of the garage to setup a little games room, and after crying for days at the amount of stuff I’ve traded in for pennies over the years I plugged in my Dreamcast for the first time in 15 years to be amazed it still works

However the picture is partially washed out looking like the below.  It’s just with the standard RF cable.  Is this likely to be a fault with the machine, or cable?

I haven’t got a controller or game to get past this point

98F4A726-F902-4EB8-8FDA-60625B338A3D.thumb.jpeg.23cfd3a0fd8b0df82a43f53303b3975f.jpeg

38B189F2-8C16-4DB5-87D0-8B8CA1D476DA.thumb.jpeg.a3f633874c2e9ca994be9f130437d59a.jpeg

Difficult to tell from the screen shot. It might be the RF cable. I did have a Dreamcast a few years back that had horizontal lines on the image and almost smears/smudges like your first pic. The cause was a cold soldier joint on the video which a quick reflow sorted.

RF is not going to give you the best image but looks pretty decent in the second pic although I am on my phone so I may be missing something?

I’ve ordered an AV cable which should come tomorrow so we’ll see

Yeah pictures don’t really show it, basically on the boot screen the blue dot & spiral animation is a yellow white colour with only little patches of blue, and in second pic the top section is the same yellow

Fingers crossed the new cable sorts it and I can start building up a collection again