Jump to content
IGNORED

The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread


Elseb
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Didn’t manage a decent bike game in that time though. Suzuki and Ducati efforts are both poor to middling.

 

I actually played Ducati for the first time tonight, I kind of enjoyed how the bikes handled, however, the tracks are pretty uninspired. Watched a few reviews afterwards, seems to be universally disliked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Thoughts on GD Emus from Aliexpress? Do you get what you pay for?

 

Apparently even the cheapest, latest clones are decent quality and function indistinguishably from legit ones.

 

Just don't try and update the firmware.

 

And bear in mind that a couple of games (heavy hitters Skies of Arcadia and RE: Code Veronica) are liable to break from what I understand. If these games are important it might be worth keeping the drive about for them or perhaps shelling out for the high end MODE solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/06/2020 at 01:20, spanky debrest said:

 

Apparently even the cheapest, latest clones are decent quality and function indistinguishably from legit ones.

 

Just don't try and update the firmware.

 

And bear in mind that a couple of games (heavy hitters Skies of Arcadia and RE: Code Veronica) are liable to break from what I understand. If these games are important it might be worth keeping the drive about for them or perhaps shelling out for the high end MODE solution.

What's a MODE solution?

 

I've got an Eli express gdvemu. Works fine too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Why have arcade sticks shot yo in value this year? I bought mine for £30 last year after noticing them slowly creeping up from £20 but now all of a sudden people want £80+ for them!

 

Someone on youtube did a video? Retro prices rarely make much sense to me. Having said that I would argue that an arcade stick is a must if you own a Dreamcast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Why have arcade sticks shot yo in value this year? I bought mine for £30 last year after noticing them slowly creeping up from £20 but now all of a sudden people want £80+ for them!

 

 

I use a Brook adaptor and a VSHG with mine, and works perfectly. The adaptor is around £30 i seem to remember.

 

Only useful if you already have an arcade stick of sorts i guess..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Why have arcade sticks shot yo in value this year? I bought mine for £30 last year after noticing them slowly creeping up from £20 but now all of a sudden people want £80+ for them!

 

I think there are more ways for them to be used than ever thanks to adaptors for other hardware, PCs, MiSTer etc. Really excellent sticks like the official DC one will probably continue their slow rise in value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, g wings said:

I've just been playing Power stone, F355 and Virtua Striker on my mac with an xbox controller thanks to Redream. I know 2020 is shit but playing these games feels like i'm in a utopia!

 

It's a fantastic emulator, isn't it?

 

I'm still stunned how Mega Drive and N64 Emulation is not nailed on PC yet ReDream is so close to being perfect (WinCE is hopefully next) you wonder how the team did it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Wools said:

 

It's a fantastic emulator, isn't it?

 

I'm still stunned how Mega Drive and N64 Emulation is not nailed on PC yet ReDream is so close to being perfect (WinCE is hopefully next) you wonder how the team did it.


it really is. 
 

gutted WinCE not supported though. If I could play Sega Rally my life would just about be complete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Camel said:

Surely Mega Drive was nailed years ago?

 

That's what I thought but trying the top 3 or so MD emulators showed issues with all of them, either graphical corruption or bugs with specific games. If anyone knows of a MegaDrive emulator on PC that's perfect then let me know, gagging to find one!

 

19 minutes ago, g wings said:


it really is. 
 

gutted WinCE not supported though. If I could play Sega Rally my life would just about be complete.

 

One day, we'll be able to hold hands and listen to this track, in-game, as nature intended.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Wools said:

 

That's what I thought but trying the top 3 or so MD emulators showed issues with all of them, either graphical corruption or bugs with specific games. If anyone knows of a MegaDrive emulator on PC that's perfect then let me know, gagging to find one!

 

 

One day, we'll be able to hold hands and listen to this track, in-game, as nature intended.

 

 

 

Blast Em is supposed to be an excellent MD emulator; It's often referred to as being 'cycle accurate'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wools said:

That's what I thought but trying the top 3 or so MD emulators showed issues with all of them, either graphical corruption or bugs with specific games. If anyone knows of a MegaDrive emulator on PC that's perfect then let me know, gagging to find one!

 

I don't have much experience playing with ReDream. But I'm surprised to hear ReDream shows fewer Dreamcast accuracy/compatibility issues than, say, Kega Fusion does compared to a real Mega Drive.

 

As far as I know, even outdated MD emulators are perfectly playable for almost all officially released games, and the only times you'd notice incompatibilities between emulators and real hardware are:

  1. If you're trying to do something that requires really accurate synchronisation (such as playing back a tool-assisted speedrun on a real MD console, TASBot style).
  2. If you're trying to run one of those demoscene tech demos that exploits quirks that are only present on real hardware.

 

Apparently the Overdrive 2 demo is something that only BlastEm can reproduce properly:

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your thoughts @spanky debrest & @Nick R, oddly enough, BlastEm is the Mega Drive emulator I left on my machine!

 

I've just spun it up for 10 minutes this morning on Sonic 3 and Streets of Rage and maybe I was being unfair. Playing them again reminded me that the issues I was having was a generally unpolished look to the UI, specific bugs (My Xbox One controller drifts when moved to the right but that issue is not present on any other emulator or game) and some oddities I can't remember if they were present on the hardwear. For example, small blinking lights in the lower left of the screen, maybe a colour palette that can be turned off?

 

Fair, I'll be using BlastEm safe in the knowledge it's meant to be great. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wools said:

For example, small blinking lights in the lower left of the screen, maybe a colour palette that can be turned off?

 

Those dots in the corner exist on the original MD hardware - they're an artefact of the way the console's VDP works. The emulator is accurately reproducing them; it's just that on a CRT, they'd normally be hidden in the overscan area:

 

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/5069/what-is-going-on-in-the-overscan-area-of-sega-genesis-games

https://alt.sega.genesis.narkive.com/8oMZtkl7/line-of-blinking-dots-when-playing-on-sega-multimega

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, wev said:

Is there a way to use Dreamcast DLC on ReDream? I'm thinking of stuff like the extra tracks for Samba

I would imagine it’s a save file unlock. See if you can grab the right save and import it into the virtual vmu*
 

* no idea how to do this sorry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I would imagine it’s a save file unlock. See if you can grab the right save and import it into the virtual vmu*
 

* no idea how to do this sorry. 

I've found a website with them on, it's the latter part I've no idea on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.