The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

Elseb

3 hours ago, Pavey said:

I found in my cupboard today a self booting rgb compatible disc of SSF2x For Matching Service. Mods - hope its ok for me to advertise it here?

Free to whoever wants it.

Pm'd

On 22/08/2019 at 17:00, Treble said:

Here's my rundown of Redream

Basically it's tops, but you need to drop 5 dollars to unlock higher resolutions - Well worth it! 

It basically runs on a toaster. I can show you my Rivatuner stats (steady...) if you want to see how little computing power it consumes. 

What pc are you using? 

There are also save states in the latest version.

I'll add to the Redream love - it's effortless to set up, the games look great and are silky smooth, it picked up things like my DS4 controller instantly, and it's not one of those skeletal emulators with no frontend. ;) 

On 20/08/2019 at 09:28, Lorfarius said:

Has anyone done any sort of SD mod for one of these? What's the best one to go for? There's seems to be loads of solutions.

Not SD, but I have a USB GDROM in mine and it's pretty much perfect. The guy who makes them gets a bit of a bad rap owing to the fact he's slow and not exactly brimming with positivity, but the hardware is unquestionably excellent and I haven't had a single issue with it.

I thought I had one issue with something (I forget which game), but this was some region patching issue rather than the hardware. Other than that... the menu's butt-ugly? As if it matters. I'm struggling to come up with flaws.

The GDEMU clones are far cheaper and the better option if budget is an important factor, but if you have the money to spare I think the USB GDROM should at least be considered.

(DC also has a Pico PSU to avoid 12v rail overheating issues, a Noctua fan mod, DCHDMI fitted, and a DreamConn controller, so it's the most ridiculously expensive console I own)

3 hours ago, ilpostino said:

I picked up a GDEMU (clone, and I'm just waiting for it to get here) - so I can be prepared what image types does it support?

@ilpostino

either cdi or gdi. 

I recommend gdi from the TOSEC releases. These have always worked fine for me. Alternatively, plug in your serial cable and rip your discs to gdi format yourself? (Massive winking smilie)

edit: also grab a copy of GDMenu. V0.6 is the latest/last I think. 

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

@ilpostino

either cdi or gdi. 

I recommend gdi from the TOSEC releases. These have always worked fine for me. Alternatively, plug in your serial cable and rip your discs to gdi format yourself? (Massive winking smilie)

edit: also grab a copy of GDMenu. V0.6 is the latest/last I think. 

Thanks mate. I'll have a poke about online.

I'm having my (40 or so) games shipped over from the UK now, so I actually could rip them! ;)

Silly me, I went into the tv’s picture menu and it had two options - Full 1 and Full 2. 

Full 1 is as it should be. Interestingly the tv only let me go to the PC input menu (both those options were in there). It knows. 

DFF3F633-7707-4C98-B66F-3AACB4E05EDB.jpeg

AA06C35A-4352-4370-B065-9A38B46C9414.jpeg

5EC855A5-CD34-475C-B39A-BD0C0424831C.jpeg

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 22:23, Down by Law said:

e2qdbds3zui31.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Found my blue VMU with most of my original saves from back in the day. That Shenmue II save is older than I was when I played it ! I was 16 without a care in the world !

Rewind. Shenmue II wasn't released in Europe until November 2001? Or was the date and time on your Dreamcast wrong?

On 28/08/2019 at 08:28, gossi the dog said:

Rewind. Shenmue II wasn't released in Europe until November 2001? Or was the date and time on your Dreamcast wrong?

Hmm, you're right. Must have been the clock was out. It was just after release.  Either way - it's fucking old :lol:

Saw this on ebay earlier.. What a beauty!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

On 27/08/2019 at 21:10, Pavey said:

This came for me today, but that lead and my DC vga cable both have a male plug on them. Am i missing something?

Did you take my advice? And it worked? Woo hoo! Yeah, as @Broken Thumbs says, if you want to trim back the cable meltdown, a gender changer will work perfectly.

That image is great, by the way. 

45 minutes ago, Treble said:

Did you take my advice? And it worked? Woo hoo! Yeah, as @Broken Thumbs says, if you want to trim back the cable meltdown, a gender changer will work perfectly.

That image is great, by the way. 

I did, it works a treat. Thanks mate.

Luckily i had the vga switch, so used that as a gender changer really and the sound is going directly into my soundbar. Was playing Borderdown tonight with a VSHG into the Brook adaptor and was living the dream!