rllmuk
Elseb

The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

On 28/04/2019 at 15:56, Monkeyspill said:

I really enjoyed at the time but it gets frustratingly hard later on. 

The level with the jetpack dog, where you have to climb an enormous tower with pixel perfect jumps and fuel management gave me severe sweaty palms back in the day. Super solid game but was proud to beat it back then. But being 15 with all the time in the world helped tons :)

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

The level with the jetpack dog, where you have to climb an enormous tower with pixel perfect jumps and fuel management gave me severe sweaty palms back in the day. Super solid game but was proud to beat it back then. But being 15 with all the time in the world helped tons :)

That bit took me a while! I was unemployed at the time so I had all the time in the world too.

9 hours ago, carlospie said:

I just played dynamite cop. It’s SHIT! Also it wasn’t a nuke, it was an anti boat missile.

Dynamite Cop is amazing, pretty much the apex for 3D brawlers in my book. 

The only issue I have with it is the Double Dragon-esque face-off you have against your co-op buddy at the end and only because it seems to go on for as many credits you have left.

I can't think of a single other flaw. 

On 01/05/2019 at 12:11, carlospie said:

I used to have a game called dynamite cop. It was so good. A bit like streets of rage. Only you could pick up a nuke and throw it at people 

You should give Zombie Revenge a try, it’s similar to Dynamite Cop. But with Zombies. And guns.

• Upvote 1

On 01/05/2019 at 12:11, carlospie said:

I used to have a game called dynamite cop. It was so good. A bit like streets of rage. Only you could pick up a nuke and throw it at people 

You should give Zombie Revenge a try, it’s similar to Dynamite Cop. But with Zombies. And guns.

Its not that well known, but it’s an off shoot of House of the Dead and is great in a “Over the top, late 90s Sega kind of way”

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Get the Japanese version of Zombie Revenge. It has infinite continues, unlike the UK version. You’ll need them!

And isn’t running at 50hz

Yeah dude Dynamite Cop is class. Couldnt believe it got bad reviews at the time, when I played it and realised it was Die Hard Arcade minus the license plus pirates plus crab people I was well on board (sorry) 

Odd as Die Hard Arcade on Saturn reviewed well... Critics eh. 

Theres a 3rd game called Asian Dynamite that was never ported.. Shame! Great series. Way better than Zombie Revenge IMO. 

• Upvote 1

Zombie Revenge was far too hard for its own good, wasn’t a patch on the Die Hard Arcade games. It should have been stellar,  Hotd meets Dynamite Cop, but something went wrong in the translation. 

I think someone eventually updated the wiki, but if not, there was a PS2 port of this shit that was never released. It wasn't a good game, a bit of a tedious coin guzzler tbh.The port was a bit ugly but the two guys working on it had it running in a short space of time. It wasn't officially completed. It was playable though.

We were also supposed to be working on Crazy Taxi and F355 ports at the same time. Crazy Taxi ended up down south (within the company) and I assume F355 was done elsewhere.

2 hours ago, yashiro said:

I think someone eventually updated the wiki, but if not, there was a PS2 port of this shit that was never released. It wasn't a good game, a bit of a tedious coin guzzler tbh.The port was a bit ugly but the two guys working on it had it running in a short space of time. It wasn't officially completed. It was playable though.

We were also supposed to be working on Crazy Taxi and F355 ports at the same time. Crazy Taxi ended up down south (within the company) and I assume F355 was done elsewhere.

Zombie Revenge? Acclaim were supposed to be porting that to the PS2 but it was never released.

2 minutes ago, carlospie said:

It’s weird playing crazy taxi with kfc etc in it. I’d always played a version of it that had none. 

Life is better on Dreamcast.

• Upvote 2

On 10/05/2019 at 15:54, carlospie said:

I had the Dreamcast version originally and it has none of that stuff? 

It does. Removed as early as the GameCube version alas, but Dreamcast version of Crazy Taxi had all the liscensing. Less sure what was in Crazy Taxi 2 and 3 however.

Edit: Have to correct myself, gave the GC version a go yesterday and it still has Pizza Hut, KFC, etc.

Anyone else use a OSSC with their dreamcast? Just got one and not sure what settings to use. Pass through looks nice if a little soft, whilst 2x is a bit too sharp and jitters due to the interlace. 3x doesn’t work on my LG Oled, says unsupported mode and 4x is the same as 2x but worse. This is all via scart, I tried vga but couldn’t notice much difference besides only being able to use up to 2x. So any tips?

I’m clearing out a load of original Dreamcast discs and I’ve got a white label Evil Twin (promo disc). Anyone got a handle on whether it’s particularly desirable? I know the boxed original is quite sought after. 

My other boxed and disc only games I’ll stick in trading with low prices. Most of the discs have some wear and tear on. 

Edit: my pal disc clearout thread is up in trading. Happy to take offers too. 

I've always found it slightly strange that promo copies of games, which are rarer than the retail release, often command a much lower price. Whereas in music, the opposite would be true. I guess for retro collectors it's all about having that box and spine to be able to display on a bookcase/cabinet shelf over and above it's rarity. So its valuable, but unlikely to be as much as a normal copy. As always demand over supply dictates the price.

I have heard, though I don't know how true it is, that a good proportion of the "promo" versions on fleabay are just ROMs burnt to white disks, with the label printed on. Which has a big negative impact on value of even genuine ones.

Don't think that's true.  Fakes would be pretty obvious. There's just stacks of them out there and they are pretty much identical to retail game discs.  I collected for a while but they all just lived in a wallet.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gord said:

Don't think that's true.  Fakes would be pretty obvious. There's just stacks of them out there and they are pretty much identical to retail game discs.  I collected for a while but they all just lived in a wallet.

If you were a collector why would you keep anything in a wallet? The disks get scratched.

• Upvote 1