Sign in to follow this  
deKay

ToeJam and Earl: Back in the Groove

Well I'd be lying to myself if I didn't admit to being a little disappointed too but it is still early days. I do like the comic book style and I can't see that changing, it's the backbone of the game but there are moments in the trailers where it looks lazy, Toejam's walking animation for example and when the characters are walking up the screen, in the old game they'd have have their backs to you; in this they're always facing forward. It looks weird like they're just some different cursor style rather than weighty characters that belong in the world around them. There are a lot of clever and cool things they could do animation wise, I just hope they do it.

*edit* Just read the FAQ on the kickstarter:

Is this the final look of the game?
As I said in the above response, this is a very early prototype. We plan to have the character animations work from different angles (front and back walks for example) and better frame rate and we may do some more experimenting with the environment look. If you have any suggestions or ideas of what you think might be cool we'd love to hear it. Just message us via Kick Starter or via the ToeJam and Earl Facebook page. We're pretty busy at the moment but we'll get to all of the comments.

I think it's obvious that they've taken some inspiration from 'Stick it to The Man' which I loved but TJ & E 4 doesn't look to have half as much of it's charm so far, it looks very phoned in. Again it could be that it's so early on and that they'll take backer feedback in to consideration, it could be that they're cautious of over promising on something they won't be able to deliver. Time will tell I guess.

In my mind it would have been a shiny polished version of the original, bright colours and all, with 3D characters looking ultra smooth with fluid animation.

I like that you'll be able to zoom in and out of the levels, to zoom out and see the levels stacked below and above you. Online co-op play, of course and it's a new Toejam and Earl game!!!! I just wish it didn't have a whiff of Toejam and Earl 3 about it, the urban Earth levels were shit!

I've backed the Kickstarter. The vinyl figures alone have sold me on it.

I think they've made some mis-steps with the Kickstarter campaign so far, sadly. The pitch video is probably the weakest of the half dozen or so they've released. The animated music video / song is better:

Also the prototype footage looks really ropey, too much placeholder art. They should've mocked something up that looks nearer to the final target or just shown more of the concept art. The new screenshots they've added today responding to feedback are a step in the right direction:

b5c2543a38fa2db143690805f5a35c82_large.j

They're going to struggle to get to $400k unless they can get new people on board as well as fans of the original, as the series was never a multi-million seller like Elite, etc. I hope they make it though! The proposed plan (remake the first game with four player local/online co-op and the best bits of the later games) is exactly the right way to go.

• Upvote 2

Latest Update (12) brings console stretch goals; https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove/posts/1162677?ref=backer_project_update

$600K and it gets a PS4 release
$700K Xbox One
$800K Wii U

It's currently at $258,548 with 15 Days to go.

New (better) pitch video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_94A3LPZ8s4

At the current rate they'll be lucky if they get the original 400K, funding has really slowed, it doesn't seem to move far from day to day.

It is fascinating how Kickstarter works if an idea can catch people in the right way, take Exploding Kittens a simple card game form the guy behind The Oatmeal comics; they only wanted $10k but got $8,782,571! Yet, ToeJam and Earl is struggling, I'm not saying it's more deserving just that it's odd how certain ideas can be funded 20x over the original goal whilst others that are equally as good flounder.

This Kickstarter started off on the wrong foot, I think the original pitch video was way off the mark with Greg's weird Shrek Scottish/Welsh/Irish accent, the message they've been sending has been confusing at times. It's PC first, console will most likely follow, it's not a part of the Kickstarter and now they're an unrealistic stretch goal. Showing off such early prototype footage probably made a lot of people think twice because of how shoddy it looked without realising it was a very early prototype.

They know themselves that it's struggling as they keep going on about how they haven't reached a lot of TJ & E fans, the problem might be that they have but they just don't care for the new game. To me TJ & E has always been a console game, couch co-op, maybe they should have started the Kickstarter with consoles in mind?

I really do hope they make it so if you ever enjoyed TJ & E at some point please consider backing it, don't let ToeJam & Earl die :(

All of which reminds me (and I should maybe ask this in the Retro forum but it's relevant here) - is there a good Xbox emulator these days?

I wouldn't mind replaying TJ&E3 but I don't think my partner would appreciate yet another box under the telly (and I don't have a spare input for it either).

Whereas we do have a decent gaming PC in the living room, already plugged into the TV, so that'd be better really.

Still a terrible video (just the same one with a different voiceover?). Absolutely don't know what they were thinking with the accent on the first video, just horrendous. And they use a minute and a half of the video to show old footage of the previous games, including the two that nobody really has any fondness for, then they explain how those games didn't turn out as they'd have liked.

It doesn't fill me with confidence when they finally get to the pitch for this new game, especially when the new footage looks awful. Just a terrible campaign all around :(

I really do hope they make it so if you ever enjoyed TJ & E at some point please consider backing it, don't let ToeJam & Earl die :(

There's still time for a last minute surge. :/ They need to explain the bolt-on rewards better -- if more of the existing backers upped their pledges it would gain more momentum.

In any case, I think there's a fair chance that it will still end up getting made if the kickstarter fails. They've shown there's an audience willing to put a chunk of cash behind it, even with the limitation of going PC/Mac first, and the team having virtually no marketing resources to get the word out. I reckon there are a few publishers (not least Sony) who'd take a punt on it.

There's a week left to go on the Kickstarter, and it appears to be rallying a bit, up to $322K (80%) now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove

They've just added a kickstarter-exclusive boxed edition as a new reward tier/bolt-on reward.

Oh sweet!! I've upped my pledge to include it, trying not to think of the money I'm spending on this :lol: Exclusive boxed version + manual + sound track only available via the KickStarter I had to to get it as I have the three other games boxed and complete and it seems to have worked in getting more pledges as it's rocket skated along from two days ago.

*shameless plug* I'm in the process of making my loft in to a bit of a retro games den, complete with projector but no comfy chairs yet. The first game played had to be ToeJam and Earl so I made a video, which I'm sure has contributed in the sudden upsurge in funding (j/k)

I have since sorted out the pointing in the brick work and intend to get a retractable screen eventually :) I'm surprised at how nice retro games look projected on a 5ft 7 screen, nicer than on my HDTV :)

• Upvote 2

Looks like this has been funded now; over $400k with 47hrs still to go. :)

EDIT: also that animated thing (post #32) is great - they should have used that as the pitch video :P

• Upvote 1

Looks like this has been funded now; over $400k with 47hrs still to go. :)

Hallelujah! Thank the great Funkapotamus! It was touch and go at some points, back when it hardly moved from day to day I didn't think it would happen but here we are :D I'm so so happy right now & as daft as it sounds I've got tears of joy in my eyes, seriously it's ridiculous how happy I am.

I guess on Friday, or rather after the celebrations the work proper begins for Greg & HumaNature Studios. I saw in an interview that he thinks the game will be a year and half to two years before it's ready, they have nothing done beyond that rough prototype in the pitch so it'll be a while before anyone gets to play. I think the journey with them will be a fun one though :D

For anyone who hasn't backed: Now is your last chance to get a hold of the KickStarter exclusive boxed edition for $40 + $10 shipping, you don't have to back at any level you can just pledge $50 and wait for the Backer Kit survey to select the boxed game. There are some amazingly cool vinyl figures too all of which are sure to be collectors items so jump aboard the Rapmaster Rocket Ship and join us all on Funkotron and maybe a stretch goal or two will be reached :)

*EDIT* It's over; 8,873 backers pledged $508,637; that's $108,637 over the original goal of $400,000! Here's the latest update thanking backers:

post-24518-0-80975200-1427485997_thumb.j

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove/posts/1180409

It's in the final hour (50 mins left), your last chance to pledge; $5 to get your name in the credits or $15 for a download of the game & named in the credits; if you're feeling a little more flush you can get yourself a KickStarter exclusive boxed copy of the game complete with full colour manual, soundtrack cd and TJ&E badges:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove

I'm really quite surprised with how well the KickStarter has done, it was of to a strange start but almost $100k over the original target now! Here is their official website (under consruction at the mo): http://tjebackinthegroove.com/ That's were the backer community will be moved to once the KickStarter ends, that and the TJ&E facebook page :)

And a trailer. Got to admit, I'm not convinced by the art style but it seems to be more of the original, which is a good thing. 

• Upvote 2

This is looking great, the wait will hopefully have been worth it. Glad they messed with the colours and have gone more for the originals colourful look than TJandE3.

Really can't wait for this but can't even remember what platform I backed it on.

I played the beta on PC back in the summer and it took a while to get used to but after an hour it truly felt just like an updated version of the original which is what a lot of us wanted I think, unlocking new skills with levelling up and hats (perks) kept things interesting. Really looking forward to playing the full release next year, still shocked at how long it has taken but thankful that the dev team kept it going and it didn't become one of those abandoned Kickstarter projects. 

It was originally just a PC game with unmet stretch goals for console versions (I think), all backers will get the option to change from PC to a console code, PS4/Xbox/Switch for $5 which isn't too bad I suppose. Can't wait!

So it turns out this is actually pretty good. 

Polygon - recommended https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/2/28/18243019/toejam-earl-back-in-the-groove-review

Destructoid - 9.7/10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQlK-jTIiwU

Nintendolife - 7/10 http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/toejam_and_earl_back_in_the_groove

It's out tomorrow for £18 on the Switch, £15.29 if you have PS+ on the PS4. Other platforms are available.

On 26/02/2015 at 13:12, jon_cybernet said:

Yeah I'm really torn between my love for Toe Jam & Earl and how bland this looks. Where are all the crazy colours?

toejamb-noscale.jpg

SnapShot_190228_154601.thumb.png.5283dd90eead84df94a282e9561c59b4.png

SnapShot_190228_154612.thumb.png.3c51421f69e427ff4dd9614bfbcfbc0d.png

I've had this preordered for ages. Really looking forward to it. Toejam and Earl is something I used to play obsessively when I was young. 

• Upvote 1

I didn't expect them to hit all the stretch goals for the kickstarter so I think I'm actually getting codes for PC, PS4 and Switch versions tomorrow!

Really looking forward to having a decent local co-op game on Switch.

I was on the closed beta last year. Bearing in mind that TJE1 is my favourite game of all time, I think they've done a good job of updating it. The art style is a bit Marmite. It's at its best when it deviates from just recreating everything from the first two games. The terrain looks a bit basic but usually there's loads of crazy nonsense going on in the foreground so you don't notice. The soundtrack is excellent.

Haha that is a brilliant way to put it!

Aesthetically I don't think they've successfully emulated the style of the original – it's a bit of a mess of shaded 3D and awkwardly drawn 2D. The line thicknesses are all wrong. It has the look of something where the assets have been created in isolation and probably look alright at 2000px, but when in--situ the detail is lost, the outlines are too skinny, and it doesn't quite work with the environments.

Perhaps if they could add a thicker outline to the outside of the characters etc it'd feel like less of a disconnect.

Obviously it might still be fun... was TJ&E ever really that fun? It didn't do much for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1