Sign in to follow this  
deKay

ToeJam and Earl: Back in the Groove

Apparently, a new TJ&E is on the way from HumaNature Studios (what made Doki Doki Universe).

No other information yet, but at least one of the original devs works for HumaNature.

Wasn't TJ&E 3 terrible? I never got a chance to play it but that's what seemed to be the general consensus. Didn't like Panic on Funkotron. Hoping this new one will be a roguelike like the original!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've only ever played the first two and thought they were okay, but not amazing.

Still it's another excuse for everyone to post their favourite tunes from the series :)

• Upvote 4

Toejam and Earl is still legitimately fantastic. I've been dabbling with the PSN version recently, still not finished it.

My morning alarm is the main theme and it's the only reason I can get to work through the winter.

• Upvote 2

Oh man I'm super hyped for this, I'm a huge fan of ToeJam and Earl! I really hope this happens, remember the DS game that never saw the light of day?

http://www.unseen64.net/2010/12/09/toejam-earl-4-ds-cancelled/

I'll take a guess it'll be like a shiny 1080p version of the original Toejam & Earl isometric view and all! The studio making it is quite small so I can't see them doing a big 3D game like ToeJam & Earl 3 :) If I remember correctly the creators of series have always regretted bending to the pressure of Sega at the time to make Panic on Funkotron as a platformer.

• Upvote 2

There was a 3!?

Yes, but people are being a bit generous about it in this thread. It's (at best) average and I suspect it's aged badly too.

Yes, but people are being a bit generous about it in this thread. It's (at best) average and I suspect it's aged badly too.

That it aged worse than the first two in a much shorter space of time says it all. But the 90s is massively back in fashion so...

One of the reasons I liked Binding of Isaac so much is because it reminded me of TJ&E (swap out the pills and poo dungeons for islands and presents)

I only completed it a couple of years ago despite loving it as a kid because it was such a complete bastard (I only ever played random worlds)

Perfect co-op game and one of the best game soundtracks, remember that little music generator it had? WHACK

The original was amazing. The second one was decent too, never played the 3rd but I have a friend (also a big fan of the original 2) who swears it's great. I'm dubious of that mind.

Apparently, a new TJ&E is on the way from HumaNature Studios (what made Doki Doki Universe).

No other information yet, but at least one of the original devs works for HumaNature.

Wasn't TJ&E 3 terrible? I never got a chance to play it but that's what seemed to be the general consensus. Didn't like Panic on Funkotron. Hoping this new one will be a roguelike like the original!

I'm so pumped for this, TJ&E is my favourite game of all time.

Greg Johnson (founder of HumaNature) is the original designer of TJ&E, and has been doing lots of interviews recently and posting lots of stuff on Facebook to find out what people want for a new game. It's definitely going to be in the style of the first game though. They were pitching a DS version around for many years but couldn't find a publisher. Johnson now owns the IP outright (afaik, having bought out Mark Voorsanger's share) so they have free reign to do what they want with a new game.

I heard recently that all the art and animation for the second game (which had loads of cel-style art) was done by one artist. Insane.

• Upvote 1

Toejam and Earl; Back in the Groove has been announced as a Kickstarter project here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove with a goal of $400,000 in 29 Days!

8d4fae132a512b7d25fcbd3812eaef75_origina

Obligatory 'hilarious' Kickstarter pitch:

It's looking good so far, it'll have online co-op for up to 4 players, PC first with the hope of porting it to consoles in the future.
  • Upvote 4

I've just backed it at a silly level to get the vinyl figures and I don't regret it (yet) :)
Toejam and Earl just has too big of a nostalgia draw for me, I remember pouring over the the box of the original game in the video shop, wondering what it was about, the cartoon characters; it looked like crazy fun. I spent a week or two imagining what it would be like to play it and how it'd work. I eventually convinced my mum to rent it. I remember the drive home reading the hilarious manual, I can even remember having to finish my homework on polymer plastics (primary school too lol) before I could play it. I remember having sausage, chips & beans for tea. It's weird how the memory of that day is so vivid.

Then I got to play it and from the opening I loved it. Me and my brother played the hell out of it, never managing to complete it but just messing about with rocket skates and trying not to run over by the hamster or Ice cream van. Just wanting to experience as much of it as possible and finding it all so much fun. It eventually had to be returned :(

It wasn't until 1999 that I actually bought myself a copy, I'd been saving like crazy and saw these adverts in the games mags for Telegames who wanted £49.99 for it, where else could I get it? Then someone told me about a shop in Goodramgate, York called GameStation; they had a copy for £6.99, I couldn't get there fast enough! Seriously it was like finding the holy grail! This is well before I had the internet so finding GameStation was like the Cave of Wonders lol.

Anyway that's my little trip down memory lane, sorry for the ramble!

• Upvote 2