Xbox Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

SW Battlefronts single player was ok but mainly just to get you used to the game. Some interesting level design, and as I never had Live it was all I had so I enjoyed it, but Battlefront 2's was much better as it was expanded out with proper missions which tried to tie everything in with all of the films. Bit clunky at times but still loads of fun, especially the Hoth level. Done to death I know but the play field was enormous.

I picked it up for next to nothing on Steam if you're not fussed about playing in on the Xbox. I enjoy the single player mode actually, and fire it up quite often for a quick SW fix.

Edit - until recently the Gamespy servers were still up and you could still get an online game! You still can now with tunneling software like Game Ranger but that relies on someone somewhere hosting one.

CEX are usually good for me when I buy a ton of PS2 and xbox stuff every so often, just shoot them an email and they usually sort something out if you have a problem, free returns too.

Is there an easy way to change the HD in the xbox - mine is whining away like it's never had a day off. Every guide on the net I find makes it look easier to buy another console altogether!

Outrun 2 was brilliant - I think it was an original Xbox exclusive for a long time? Such a beautiful and relaxing game when you just wanted to unwind, but at the same time it had lots of tricky challenge missions and time trials if you fancied getting frustrated. It's the first game I can remember allowing you to frictionlessly compare your performance against friends online, which is, obviously, completely de rigueur now. Worth the price of admission for Outrun 2 alone.

I was extremely late to the party, only having got one for Psychonauts (which was supposed to be an original Xbox exclusive). I ended up modding it and using it with XBMC more than I used it as a gaming machine... I took it to uni and my housemates must have played far more games on it than I ever did. I don't know how many hours those guys put into PES and Halo, but it must have been hundreds and hundreds.

Is there an easy way to change the HD in the xbox - mine is whining away like it's never had a day off. Every guide on the net I find makes it look easier to buy another console altogether!

Physically it's not so hard really, there are a few Torx screws on the bottom of the console, one under each rubber foot and at least one under the serial sticker, when you're inside there are a few more screws and it comes apart pretty easily - one of the upsides of it being built on off-the-shelf parts.

If your console isn't modded you might have a different problem in that may not actually be possible to just swap a new drive in the old one's place. There's nothing in the OS for formatting hard disks (all the OS stuff is actually on the hard disk to begin with) and I'm fairly sure that the hard disk is "locked" with a key that'll only work in the Xbox it was originally inside. When you're swapping disks in a modded console it's more straightforward since you can just lock your new drive with the key from the old one and everything will work as intended.

It's worth pointing out as well that you'll be needing an IDE hard drive of at least 8GB, which is a bit more uncommon these days. If your machine's unmodded you won't be able to use any space above the standard 8GB.

Physically it's not so hard really, there are a few Torx screws on the bottom of the console, one under each rubber foot and at least one under the serial sticker, when you're inside there are a few more screws and it comes apart pretty easily - one of the upsides of it being built on off-the-shelf parts.

If your console isn't modded you might have a different problem in that may not actually be possible to just swap a new drive in the old one's place. There's nothing in the OS for formatting hard disks (all the OS stuff is actually on the hard disk to begin with) and I'm fairly sure that the hard disk is "locked" with a key that'll only work in the Xbox it was originally inside. When you're swapping disks in a modded console it's more straightforward since you can just lock your new drive with the key from the old one and everything will work as intended.

It's worth pointing out as well that you'll be needing an IDE hard drive of at least 8GB, which is a bit more uncommon these days. If your machine's unmodded you won't be able to use any space above the standard 8GB.

Thanks for info, It's softmodded via Splinter Cell - seems much harder to swap than if it was hardmodded!

I see what decider means about the sound issue with the PAL version of Crazy Taxi 3 the engine rev sound effects are clearly missing from the game.

Did a quick video, to see what component looked like when capturing at 576i & 480p. Going to be uploading a few more Xbox videos later in the week. One problem the Xbox has is a very heavy interlace filter which I think is to do with the graphic card MS used, would explain why playing Xbox games on an Xbox360 they look a hundred times sharper. Both the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast look a lot sharper over RGB than the Xbox ever did.

Theme Park fans would do well to pick up the Xbox release of RollerCoaster Tycoon it's a really impression port of the PC version and includes both the PC expansion packs to boot.

While there aren't that many exclusive game on the Xbox there are still plenty of ports of Capcom and SNK Playmore game, so Capcom vs SNK 2 and Mavel vs Capcom 2, Metal Slug 3 and King of Fighter 2002 are well woth tracking down. assuming you don't have them on other formats.

I see what decider means about the sound issue with the PAL version of Crazy Taxi 3 the engine rev sound effects are clearly missing from the game.

Did a quick video, to see what component looked like when capturing at 576i & 480p. Going to be uploading a few more Xbox videos later in the week. One problem the Xbox has is a very heavy interlace filter which I think is to do with the graphic card MS used, would explain why playing Xbox games on an Xbox360 they look a hundred times sharper. Both the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast look a lot sharper over RGB than the Xbox ever did.

I have a feeling that you might have a 'fixed' version of Crazy Taxi. I'm pretty sure the infamous audio bug involved distorted sound effects, there's actually a thread on this forum from the time of release complaining about it!

The deinterlacing issue is apparently caused by the video encoder MS used, with later revisions of the motherboard featuring slightly improved quality but in addition to that they also employed a flicker filter that's controlled on a software basis. Apparently it can be set between 0 (off) and 5 (maximum), with the default being 5 on every game. Fortunately, some enterprising people spotted this and released an XBE patcher named "Flicker Fucker" that lets you disable it in every game, the feature was later built into XBMC so games could be patched on the fly. Obviously, this is only relevant if you have a modded console.

I have a feeling that you might have a 'fixed' version of Crazy Taxi. I'm pretty sure the infamous audio bug involved distorted sound effects, there's actually a thread on this forum from the time of release complaining about it!

The deinterlacing issue is apparently caused by the video encoder MS used, with later revisions of the motherboard featuring slightly improved quality but in addition to that they also employed a flicker filter that's controlled on a software basis. Apparently it can be set between 0 (off) and 5 (maximum), with the default being 5 on every game. Fortunately, some enterprising people spotted this and released an XBE patcher named "Flicker Fucker" that lets you disable it in every game, the feature was later built into XBMC so games could be patched on the fly. Obviously, this is only relevant if you have a modded console.

More reason to get a modded console then, might have to invest in one, as capturing at 720p and with the flicker filter would be a serious plus. Ony question is where to find one and one on a later model of the Xbox.

Mine's a mid range Xbox as I have a crystal one.

So I have a modded Xbox (PAL) which is currently been used for CoinOps however this thread has got me interested in picking up some of the games I missed.

I have it hooked up via component cable to my 1080p TV - Is this the best picture quality I can get? I am not really sure what resolution it is running outside of CoinOps so I may have to setup the Enigma Video software?

More reason to get a modded console then, might have to invest in one, as capturing at 720p and with the flicker filter would be a serious plus. Ony question is where to find one and one on a later model of the Xbox.

Mine's a mid range Xbox as I have a crystal one.

I have a feeling you'll already have the latest revision as I think most Crystal Xboxes were rev. 1.6 (the last one). I'm pretty sure you could just go down the softmod route, all it seems to need is a copy of Splinter Cell, an Xbox Controller > USB cable and a small USB stick with the exploit on it.

I uploaded an early-game playthrough from Rocksteady's Urban Chaos: Riot Response. I remember enjoying it back in the day and it's still fun now (despite being a little bit archaic control wise) and it's still relatively unknown despite them gaining attention for the Arkham games.

I particularly enjoy the live action news footage before each mission, it gives it a bit of a Robocop feel, in fact the whole thing seems to be going for that late 80s action movie vibe. I had forgotten just how many expletives the game throws at you though!

Nov 22, 2005 was the launch date of the 360 in the US, so I'm guessing that's just their default date when you use the backwards compatibility mode of the 360. The original Xbox defaulted its date to some time in the early 2000s when you pulled the plug for a few hours so I'm guessing it's part and parcel of the emulation.

There are various utility discs available that will help you lock/unlock drives, format drives and install software. I can't remember the one I used but that was 2004, there is probably a better way now.

Slayers was the disc. It had everything you needed to set up a new dash, lock and unlock drives (though you can leave it unlocked with xecuter dash).

You do need a chip/tsop flash/softnod though to run it first and it's an utter bitch to do with the softmod.

I uploaded an early-game playthrough from Rocksteady's Urban Chaos: Riot Response. I remember enjoying it back in the day and it's still fun now (despite being a little bit archaic control wise) and it's still relatively unknown despite them gaining attention for the Arkham games.

I particularly enjoy the live action news footage before each mission, it gives it a bit of a Robocop feel, in fact the whole thing seems to be going for that late 80s action movie vibe. I had forgotten just how many expletives the game throws at you though!

Loved that game. I very, very rarely complete games but I did with that. The way you unlock stuff by going for so many headshots or completing certain objectives in a level added to it. There were the bonus missions where you could win special weapons. Plus you had that great feeling of going back to an earlier mission with better weapons and cleaning up, or doing them on a harder difficulty. And once I got used to them, I quite enjoyed te hostage-saving bits. There's a fun post-end level with you at home ... won't spoil it.

Downsides would be the fact the baddies had about 3 taunts which got stale pretty quickly. It's not really a looker, but the gameplay made up for it. The jump up from Rookie is a bit too high, for me anyway.

Like most of the games mentioned here it's probably a fiver tops. Well worth it.

Loved that game. I very, very rarely complete games but I did with that. The way you unlock stuff by going for so many headshots or completing certain objectives in a level added to it. There were the bonus missions where you could win special weapons. Plus you had that great feeling of going back to an earlier mission with better weapons and cleaning up, or doing them on a harder difficulty. And once I got used to them, I quite enjoyed te hostage-saving bits. There's a fun post-end level with you at home ... won't spoil it.

Downsides would be the fact the baddies had about 3 taunts which got stale pretty quickly. It's not really a looker, but the gameplay made up for it. The jump up from Rookie is a bit too high, for me anyway.

Like most of the games mentioned here it's probably a fiver tops. Well worth it.

Yeah, I really loved it back in the day. I'm like a broken record, but it has that mid-tier feeling that a lot of titles had back then, enough that when I finished it I clearly began playing it through again because my old profile has a few medals from the hardest mode on there! That bonus mission you mentioned is the one that comes to mind when I think back on my time with it. It's just a solid, well made OTT action game. £1 in CeX.

Space combat is pretty decent in Battlefront 2 as well.

Saw a video of 2 and the way you could jump into a ship, fly out and have a fight, then land on the enemy cruiser, get out and fight looked really good! I can imagine this was great online. It highlights the waste when games shut down forever.

Saw a video of 2 and the way you could jump into a ship, fly out and have a fight, then land on the enemy cruiser, get out and fight looked really good! I can imagine this was great online. It highlights the waste when games shut down forever.

Yeah, it's really cool and I'm hoping it's something DICE will expand on for Battlefront 3. They have previous with the excellent Titan storming from Battlefield 2142 so I'm hopeful!