IGNORED

Xbox Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I definitely need to look into this online thing listed above - glad to see it has Mac support.

I've seen a few people listing Far Cry in the top Xbox games thread - I never got on with it at the time, felt it was too linear, but then just looked up the game on Wiki and didn't realise the PC original was much more open world, nor that the 360 Instincts Predator was an upgraded port of the original Xbox game with the sequel thrown in.

I'm presuming the 360 version would be the best version to play now, but just wondered what everyone else thought?

(I've just looked at more many Xbox games I've got and it's a bit ridiculous, especially considering I haven't played that many of them - picked so many up cheap from carboots, Cex, Gamestation etc once the 360 had been out for a few years...then my original Xbox which was soft modded crashed and I lost all my save games - Psychonauts at the dreaded Meat Circus - so there's many I've never been back to as a result...)

Oh, and also while I'm here, wasn't there someone on ebay who was pretty reputable at selling modded Xboxes with upgraded hard drives and preloaded with Coin Ops Gold and other emulators? My substitute modded machine from a forumite didn't have a very big hard drive sadly compared to my original 120 gb beast (and I don't think it was as simple as swapping the drive from one to another due to some individual machine/ bios tag or something?)

• 2 years later...

Just to say that all you who have OG xboxs in the cupboard you had best check them out as the clock cap has started leaking in them.

I opened up three of my machines today and all had leakage of varying degrees across the motherboard. You dont have to solder new caps in (not sure about the last 1.6 versions) just rip them out. I desoldered them personally. Plenty of videos on Youtube

Softmod users have to read up a bit more apprentley.

18 hours ago, bwi said:

Just to say that all you who have OG xboxs in the cupboard you had best check them out as the clock cap has started leaking in them.

I opened up three of my machines today and all had leakage of varying degrees across the motherboard. You dont have to solder new caps in (not sure about the last 1.6 versions) just rip them out. I desoldered them personally. Plenty of videos on Youtube

Thanks for the heads up. Just pulled mine out of the cupboard last week not switched it on yet!

Also Xbox played host to IMHO the finest arcade racers ever brought to a console IMHO: PGR and PGR2.... Spent hours and hours on PGR2 so playable... and then with Xbox live... pretty much perfection. Loved the various cities and Kudos (brought over from Metropolis Street Racer). Really wish Bizarre were still around.... we could do with a decent current gen city circuit based racing game... even a PGR4 remastered would be appreciated....

I've been playing a bit of Otogi on and off for the last couple of weeks. I was expecting From Software's own take on Ninja Gaiden with an equally bad camera, but what I actually got was a fast-paced arcade game where levels can typically be completed in around five minutes (but with an equally wonky camera).

Yeah, I got my old XBox up and running a couple weeks ago and Otogi (along with Crimson Sea) was a game I couldn't play as well as I'd like because one of the camera axis is the wrong way round and can't be altered. I do, however, seem to finally gotten the hang of controlling Gun Valkyrie.

Another lovely surprise was finally playing Crazy Taxi 3 and finding it has the right music and both the Crazy Taxi 1 and 2 cities playable as well. Never knew that back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved pgr 2 back in the day, played online with rllmuk folks a lot. Dug it out last night, Jesus it looks awful, muddy pale picture sterile cities devoid of life.  Stuck on out run coast 2 coast instead. Still probably one of the best games ever made. However again the picture ain't great. Compared to the output of the Dreamcast on my telly the Xbox just looks like shite for god knows why. Tried getting 1080 and 720 but neither those games support it. Tried turning off the filter thing (I've got a chipped Xbox) still looks complete gash. I'm using component (definitely not composite , that's just looks ridiculous!).

Amped 2 looks ok, not dazzling though.

Seriously I stuck on crazy taxi on my Dreamcast after, and it puts the Xbox to shame on picture quality.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

What is the best software to get the xbox to emulate MAME, Snes etc etc. Is there anything that works like Plex and that makes the library look pretty and collects all the video game art automatically?

People have mentioned CoinOps here before. Not sure if they still update it though.

21 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

What is the best software to get the xbox to emulate MAME, Snes etc etc. Is there anything that works like Plex and that makes the library look pretty and collects all the video game art automatically?

I've recently grabbed a CoinOps Lite bundle off Pirate Bay. The full CoinOps bundle wouldn't fit on my hard drive, but the Lite version has a decent selection of arcade and console games and I can just add any extra ROMs I want to play. It all seems to work perfectly, I've got encountered anything not fully working yet.

On 11/03/2018 at 20:01, bwi said:

Not having a clue about such things; if you have your machine in use does it stop this happening?   Is there a tell tale sign of this fault?

On 22/03/2018 at 23:35, bplus said:

Loved pgr 2 back in the day, played online with rllmuk folks a lot. Dug it out last night, Jesus it looks awful, muddy pale picture sterile cities devoid of life.  Stuck on out run coast 2 coast instead. Still probably one of the best games ever made. However again the picture ain't great. Compared to the output of the Dreamcast on my telly the Xbox just looks like shite for god knows why. Tried getting 1080 and 720 but neither those games support it. Tried turning off the filter thing (I've got a chipped Xbox) still looks complete gash. I'm using component (definitely not composite , that's just looks ridiculous!).

Amped 2 looks ok, not dazzling though.

Seriously I stuck on crazy taxi on my Dreamcast after, and it puts the Xbox to shame on picture quality.

It’s weird you should say this, because outrun via rgb through my framemeister looks so good I was shocked.  Through normal composite and straight into a modern tv, I will admit, is a very weak signal. 

3 hours ago, Droo said:

Not having a clue about such things; if you have your machine in use does it stop this happening?   Is there a tell tale sign of this fault?

Nope not at all. To know you have to open it up, and look in using those pics provided as a guide(thanks LM). With the machines i opened only 1 had no leakage at all and the worst one had made it to about a quarter of the board. On one, i even had 3 large capacitors on the right side of the board bulging and had to replace those.

Btw i opened up 7 consoles when i posted the first post. i do love my OG xbox

26 minutes ago, Vimster said:

As time goes on I am more convinced I need to learn how to solder. Everything from my Amiga to my OG Xbox looks like it's about to conk out. It seems a relatively minor repair but the soldering is the stumbling block.

I agree with you. 

Although i decent solderingkit would probably set you back a reasonable amount. 

I think its getting to the point where if you intend to have a retro machine collection then basic soldering is becoming a must. I can do most myself except the more complicated troubleshooting and surface mounted caps still seem to hate me. Push though caps are easy enough.

Try watching a guy called gadgetuk on youtube, hes pretty good and hes covered loads of old machines that need fixing

• 2 months later...
On 15/04/2018 at 20:33, bwi said:

I think its getting to the point where if you intend to have a retro machine collection then basic soldering is becoming a must. I can do most myself except the more complicated troubleshooting and surface mounted caps still seem to hate me. Push though caps are easy enough.

Try watching a guy called gadgetuk on youtube, hes pretty good and hes covered loads of old machines that need fixing

Are these push through caps on the xbox? Is it easier with a better soldering iron or is practice more important?

My softmodded xbox won't let me enable 480p, 720p and 1080i output. If I understand correctly it's because my console is PAL and not NTSC. Is this correct or is it possible with PAL?

I think my TV (old panasonci plasma) should show NTSC as it supports it for RF and for some of the AV inputs. If I switch it to NTSC and it doesn't work will I see nothing or would I be able to recover.

Where is a good place to get the latest version of the application to switch to NTSC (I think it's called enigmah) as currently it's not in my softmod?

• 5 months later...

Following my... satisfaction* with the HDMI adaptor for the dreamcast, I got hold of the equivalent for the OG Xbox:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JHJB1Y8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so I'll be testing that in due course.

It's all because I've been instructed to dump my 21" AIWA, so I have to figure out the best way to attach old consoles to new TVs.

* hey, it works.

• 2 years later...

Okay, a question for the electronics people here.

I have an OG Xbox, 1.6 model, the one without a clock capacitor. It has basically been plugged into a socket for months. Unplugged it just now and when I pulled the plug from the socket it made a really loud crack, like it was discharging a massive amount of power. Is this normal? Will this cause issues? It was rather disconcerting to say the least.

• 3 months later...

Bought an OG Xbox that has been modded to hell. It's displaying nothing on-screen (the yellow video cable and white audio cable are hooked up to my CRT's AV2 ports*), the disc tray wouldn't open at first, and there's a red and green blinking light. Because it's been modded, though, I'm not even sure the light now signifies anything. Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks!

Edit: never mind, it's knackered. Started a return. :(

*I know this isn't ideal - hoping to get an RGB cable if I get things working!

• 2 months later...

So yesterday I discovered that Brook have updated the Wingman XB convertor to support the original xbox alongisde the 360, Xbox one and Xbox series.

1. Add to support XBOX Original (An Xbox Original Controller to female usb cable is needed)
 Connection: XBOX Original + Xbox Original Controller to female usb cable + Wingman XB + controller

I swiftly ordered myself a USB to xbox controller port adaptor and I've just been playing CoinOps using a xbox one pad and PS4 arcade stick.

It's great!

I have an OGX360 too this seems a little more robust

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/59327520/

and

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076KL1YGF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_2MJE763RBNZXWHCXH7QY

image.thumb.png.da99b1b2651dd7ad1ec947830c77f735.png

• 3 weeks later...

Nice solution if a little expensive. I had looked at the OGX360 solution from chimeric in the past but didn't get around to it (I think it'd be cheaper if you need 4 ports).

My only questiont is if I use my xbox one controller with this won't it conflict with my xbox one at the same time or do I need a second controller just paired with this?

2 hours ago, crocked said:

Nice solution if a little expensive. I had looked at the OGX360 solution from chimeric in the past but didn't get around to it (I think it'd be cheaper if you need 4 ports).

My only questiont is if I use my xbox one controller with this won't it conflict with my xbox one at the same time or do I need a second controller just paired with this?

you have to pair the controller with the brook adaptor so they won’t conflict, just need to sync it back to the Xbox one when needed. 

I might flog my ogx360 as it seems surpless

to requirements now. Agreed its a better option for more than one controller.