Giant Bomb Fan Club

Vinny's going to the LA Podfest this weekend so they finished off Alex's Until Dawn playthrough last night. It's definitely worth catching up on.

It was starting to look like he'd rescue most of the cast but one rash decision later and half of them were wiped out in a fireball.

Based on that playthrough the last 90 minutes of that game are a lot weaker than the rest of it. Just completely illogical and inexplicable behaviour from every character in the interest of putting them in peril for plot reasons, lots of asset reuse, a text info dump and a rather rushed feeling to it all due to lumpy, inconsistent pacing.

Great video series though.

It felt a little bit disjointed, partly because he lost some of the characters earlier on and missed out on at least one item that adds an extra scene (spoiler below).

He missed the diary when he was in the mines with Mike and Josh, that fills in some of the background about his sister's transformation into a Wendigo and in my playthrough ended with Josh becoming one too.

Vinny's going to the LA Podfest this weekend so they finished off Alex's Until Dawn playthrough last night. It's definitely worth catching up on.

It was starting to look like he'd rescue most of the cast but one rash decision later and half of them were wiped out in a fireball.

One things for sure - fools be gettin' monked son!

It felt a little bit disjointed, partly because he lost some of the characters earlier on and missed out on at least one item that adds an extra scene (spoiler below).

He missed the diary when he was in the mines with Mike and Josh, that fills in some of the background about his sister's transformation into a Wendigo and in my playthrough ended with Josh becoming one too.

Interesting - the writing and structure definitely seems to struggle to deal with all the different potential situations in the last part of the game. All my slight niggles with it disappear though thanks to the brilliant "Understand the palm of my hand, bitch!" moment.

Yeah seen the first episode and it's not for me. As soon as the actual gameplay started the entire thing came to a halt. Drew's indecisiveness and Dan's lack of knowledge of basic game mechanics is going to make for extremely frustrating viewing.

I'll wait for the fanmade cutscene compilation a year from now or something.

That's kind of a shitty thing to do. The video is behind a paywall and the panel will end up on their site eventually. They had to sign a contract so it feels like it could negatively impact the likelihood of them doing similar things in the future.

If Dan giving wrong information got under your skin during MGScanlon 1-4, don't got near number 5.

How the hell can that man play "80 hours" of MGSV and still not know how enemy comms equipment works? I'm near the end of part 2 now; he's got Drew utterly confused because Dan's never twigged that satellite dishes can't transmit shit if you blow the damn comms transmitter up. Oh, and almost insisting that Drew has to fulton everyone he see's when he absolutely doesn't.

His incompetent backseat driving turned me off the series in MGS3. I'm surprised Drew can stand it.

I didt try to watch the latest ones. V is by far the best in the series at actually teaching you how to play the game (it's amazing how well it does it considering how complex it is), but instead of letting the game do that with Drew, Dan just infodumps (erroneous info at that) on Drew and confuses the hell out of him. It would work better as a solo run.

His incompetent backseat driving turned me off the series in MGS3. I'm surprised Drew can stand it.

I didt try to watch the latest ones. V is by far the best in the series at actually teaching you how to play the game (it's amazing how well it does it considering how complex it is), but instead of letting the game do that with Drew, Dan just infodumps (erroneous info at that) on Drew and confuses the hell out of him. It would work better as a solo run.

Forget doing it alone. Get rid of Dan, bring in A-Stryker. Problem solved, streams improved.

Actually, yes, you're right, that would work perfectly. Jason gives better advice, understand the game(s) a lot better than Dan does, and is far more restrained, he did that sidekick/sounding board job perfectly on the Bloodborne series. It's amazing that Dan loves that series while not really having a clue how to play them.

On another note entirely, Austin can really write a review. I'm definitely going to buy Undertale at some point. http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/undertale-review/1900-715/

Good grief. Dan Rykert is amazingly clueless for someone who played over 80 hours of MGS V. He's pretty much the worst person to be guiding Drew through the game.

Apparently flare grenades are pointless because you can call the chopper for evac without them. I mean, I can't imagine any situation where you might want a heavily armed helicopter gunship backing you up. :facepalm:

To be fair I never once bothered with flare grenades. Don't they limit your ranking to A?

They do, but generally you want them when shit hits the fan anyway. It's also just awesome.

Anyway it's more the fact that Dan keeps giving completely incorrect advice based on misunderstandings. I genuinely think Drew would have a better time without him.