Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

Spot on. I suppose it must be an algorithm thing that makes websites churn out rumours and leaks instead of anything interesting, but it's not very appealing.

The analogy in the blog to the football transfer window is a good one, except at least that's sometimes entertaining.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

They're doing a regular Fortnite stream these days.

Butwhy.gif

I unsubscribed and unfollowed all things GB after that horrible letter they wrote about Gerstmann - I was rapidly losing interest anyway, but that was the last straw. But because I've enjoyed old GB's content so much for so many years, I do read this thread whenever it gets bumped. It's my only source of news on GB nowadays.

And they're doing what - holy shit :lol: It's really just the name that's left isn't it. The old vibe is completely gone I assume 

I didn't do it deliberately but I appear to have fallen completely off all GB content. They're just not doing anything that appeals to me at the moment. On the other hand my car commute to work is greatly enhanced by 3 hours of Gerstmann every week.

6 minutes ago, Flub said:

I didn't do it deliberately but I appear to have fallen completely off all GB content. They're just not doing anything that appeals to me at the moment. On the other hand my car commute to work is greatly enhanced by 3 hours of Gerstmann every week.

I'm also greatly enjoying solo Gerstmann. He's way less playing the negative crank for laughs or to be contrarian, but he's highlighting stuff that interests him/he's knowledgeable about/is genuinely enjoying - like Dragon's Dogma of all games en messing around with his Deck. And it's the same Jeff I remember from when he was bouncing off Ryan. It's great and thanks to that I don't feel sad about old GB passing, because this is the next best thing.

I've also completely fallen off all Nextlander content. Vinny is great as always, but unfortunately it still has Brad. They just finished a Mass Effect Andromeda playthrough and everytime I happen to click on it it's just Brad moaning. And not in a fun "goofing on the game" kind of way that always made GB so enjoyable (like Gerstmann on Garfield).

But in regards to GB. I saw they didn't do another UPF last week because they were ranking more Tekken endings. Something that was funny in the first episode but soon got old. Like a comedian telling the same joke over and over again. Will be interesting to see how long they last, subscriber numbers can't be good considering all video content is now free 

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

Even the merch has gone to shit, lots of complaints about the quality of their new t shirts.

And nae wonder:

FB_IMG_1659707880984.jpg

Did they not order samples before releasing them in the store?

The Jeff Gerstmann show is great. Whenever I see a three hour podcast I have my doubts about listening to it but somehow he manages to stay entertaining all the way through and no one does a dick pill ad read quite like Jeff.

4 hours ago, Gambit said:

I've also completely fallen off all Nextlander content. Vinny is great as always, but unfortunately it still has Brad. They just finished a Mass Effect Andromeda playthrough and everytime I happen to click on it it's just Brad moaning. And not in a fun "goofing on the game" kind of way that always made GB so enjoyable (like Gerstmann on Garfield).

Alex is a fucking misery as well. I lost count of the number of times he referenced the end of the world in the last podcast episode

On 28/07/2022 at 17:33, Gambit said:

Jeff Grubb in a nutshell.

And people on GB fawn over him.

Video games are in desperate need of some more actual investigative journalists.

I really can't stand him and that's bang-on. I saw he had Patrick Klepek on one of his streams the other day and I don't think you'll ever see two people that are more polar opposites in that field. One who's basically a glorified influencer leaking stuff for clout, and a proper investigative journalist.

Also, the replies to that Twitter thread are funny. "Jez" Cordon, who just constantly acts as a Microsoft mouthpiece, saying "but its not my job to do "what's best" for billion$$$ publishers".

• 1 month later...

Like many here I just don’t even feel tempted to look at or listen to any GB stuff anymore. It’s just not for me now and that’s fine. Last episode I tried I just felt like I was too old for whatever it was they were trying to make. 

Jeff on the other hand I feel like I can listen to non stop with no problem. Even when he’s talking about stuff I have little interest in. I’m glad he’s having success on his own, he sounds like he’s enjoying himself again. 

I don’t know I kind of think it’s fine if giantbomb isn’t exclusively for white lads in their 40’s now? I’m someone who only got into the site after Gerstmann left after having seen a few clips over the years and have been hoovering up all the old premium content like mad. And it’s all really good! Mario Party Party, Steal My Sunshine, Vinnyvania. All really great stuff to while away the hours with. 

But now they’ve got a really diverse crew making totally different stuff and if you want more of four old white boys being snarky about games that’s available to you on their respective channels. I’m not a huge fan of a lot of the new stuff so far but I like Tamoor and Lucy and hopefully they make it work for a new audience. 

Jeff Grubb can absolutely fuck himself to the moon obviously but  aside from that they don’t seem to be an inherently evil bunch. Just people making content aimed a bit younger than me. Which is fine? 

I take it the purchase by Red ventures went well. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mass viewer exodus following Gerstmanns departure. You just need to look at the lack of comments on some of their videos. Grubbs news shite is lucky to get more than two comments per video.

Just take GB out back and put a bullet in its head.

I wonder if the giant bomb name is hampering the current team at this point. I’m sure there must be a decent audience out there for what they’re putting out, I just don’t think it fits with what people expect from Giant Bomb. You end up with a lot of the old crowd departing to follow the old crew and not a lot of new views coming in to make up for that. Perhaps it’s time to relaunch it as something new altogether. 

Then again, I know nothing about how these things work. 

23 hours ago, Gambit said:

I take it the purchase by Red ventures went well. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mass viewer exodus following Gerstmanns departure. You just need to look at the lack of comments on some of their videos. Grubbs news shite is lucky to get more than two comments per video.

Dunno about Nextlander, but Gerstmann's Twitch viewer count  vs Giant Bomb's are always interesting to compare.

One thing I have noticed is Jeff Grubb seems to be in every single fucking video they do. He's all over everything. Just go away. Fucking hell.

Turned on for five minutes. Then turned off. Dan screaming. Jeff just sitting on a couch staring into space. 

Didn't they have an office? Or have they already been kicked out of it? Seen better production values on one man operations and GB is owned by a legitimate company.

Oh how I miss The Big Live Live Show. :(

On 03/10/2022 at 12:59, Gambit said:

I haven't really watched much post-Gerstmann Giant Bomb, mostly because Ryckert, but the worry I have about a disappointed owner turning off Giant Bomb would be the loss of *that* archive of video content. I'd be so sad if that stuff went away.

Jeff G moaning about everything at least previously had others to balance it out a bit. Now it's just 3 hours of old man shouting at clouds.   Awesome. Well worth a listen.   I usually manage 30 minutes before deciding I'll go listen to something else for a bit.   Shame. Guy has mad knowledge but he's a just a miserable fucker with almost everything.

What? The ones I've listened too he seems incredibly happy for the first time in ages.

Compare that to Jess shouting at people because they like Immortality. I wanted to watch some of their bombathon when Vinny and Austin were there but couldn't sit through her, Ryckert screaming and Grubb without wanting to stab someone.