Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

Good to see that they're continuing the GB tradition of the last few years of always being too "busy" with "stuff" to produce the minimum amount of content you'd expect from the site. Moreso that they now have as many members as the core Wu-Tang Clan. First week out with their posse running hella deep and they already have to cancel UPF. Not just any show, but UPF of all things, one of the main mainstays of GB that surely you can plan ahead for.

Nope. Too busy with stuff.

13 minutes ago, bear said:

Tekken endings are incredible though. We need to keep that in mind. 

That I have to agree with.

Listening some more to the bombcast, just before the 1 hour mark does address the letter and apologizes if it came off as too "corporate speak". He says it was written by actual giant bomb staff, not by a shady higher up corporate, and it was very difficult to write because rhey couldn't just say anything due to the circumstances and "privacy concerns". And then they moved on.

I noticed that throughout the show they brought up "privacy concerns" multiple times. So it does seem like a genuine thing - no idea what about. Maybe the COVID disagreement we were speculating about is part of it?

Edit: at 59 minutes and 15 seconds to be exact

49 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Good to see that they're continuing the GB tradition of the last few years of always being too "busy" with "stuff" to produce the minimum amount of content you'd expect from the site. Moreso that they now have as many members as the core Wu-Tang Clan. First week out with their posse running hella deep and they already have to cancel UPF. Not just any show, but UPF of all things, one of the main mainstays of GB that surely you can plan ahead for.

Nope. Too busy with stuff.

I remember when there was a skeleton crew (usually the weekend before E3) and they'd still do a UPF. Usually with Jeff on the computer and Vinny with the tricaster next to him on the couch.

1 minute ago, Gambit said:

I remember when there was a skeleton crew (usually the weekend before E3) and they'd still do a UPF. Usually with Jeff on the computer and Vinny with the tricaster next to him on the couch.

Yep. That was part of the charm, they were winging it but still getting it done whichever way possible.

Now they have a big corporation backing them and it's "whoops, our individual agendas didn't align at the last minute so there's nothing we can do"

I don't see how privacy concerns play into at least giving a send off or recap of his time at GB. He got barely more than "Business Dave" or the guy who ran comic vine got.

If it was the staff who wrote it that actually looks worse! Eh guess we'll never know what happened but it feels like something bad.

The new crew look good and fun (except Grubb obv) but I am out due to the shitty way Jeff has been treated. No final Bombcast, no week long best of retrospective... nothing.

If they did write all that 'the bomb is bigger than individuals' stuff then fuck them too. 

I wonder if there was a bit of stuff planned with Jeff for this week, with Friday as his last day and then it all went wrong and Monday ended up being his last day. Perhaps he was meant to be in office for his final week and just freaked out about it - we've had that happen with a couple of people at work.

I suspect him leaving had been planned for a bit as losing Jeff would have given them the money 2 or 3 of the new hires. Jeff had obviously done some planning for this solo stuff but not enough, kinda like it came a bit early.

22 hours ago, deerokus said:

Btw that Tekken stream was brilliant fun. Dan is a mad entertainment genius and it's great to have him back. 

Yeah, I don’t think I realised how much I missed him until he came back.

He’s creative in a way the rest of cast aren’t. Brings a lot of enthusiasm to carry off his daft ideas.

On 10/06/2022 at 14:32, ryodi said:

I'm enjoying their new content. With the vlogs back I wonder if part of the reason Jeff left is because they wanted him to go to shows again and he doesn't want to because he kids are too young to be vaccinated.

Well he just went to a Street Fighter 6 event today so I don't think that's the reason.

• 3 weeks later...

So a few episodes in now post Jeff leaving and I gotta say it's waaaay more fun.  Everyone seems to have more energy and seem free to do their thing. Jan I really like now.  The group all pitching in on the main podcast keeps it lively.

In contrast Jeff's solo effort just gets tiring and monotone and just makes me think "holy shit, he's been circling around these one topic for aaaaaaages". I thought he was going to get guests on?  Really needs a few more voices on there rather than just all Jeff. He's very knowledgable but it's all one tone for hours.

2 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

So a few episodes in now post Jeff leaving and I gotta say it's waaaay more fun.  Everyone seems to have more energy and seem free to do their thing. Jan I really like now.  The group all pitching in on the main podcast keeps it lively.

In contrast Jeff's solo effort just gets tiring and monotone and just makes me think "holy shit, he's been circling around these one topic for aaaaaaages". I thought he was going to get guests on?  Really needs a few more voices on there rather than just all Jeff. He's very knowledgable but it's all one tone for hours.

Totally opposite here, I went for a fuck off long hike while episode 3 was starting, it was great having him just chatting away, calmly talking about stuff and just generally being interesting, it was like I had a mate with me and he was chattig away.

Horses for courses I guess, but GB is dead to me, un-subbed and moved on, I was there for Jeff and the now Nextlander team, the new lot are welcome to thei audience and I wish them well, but I've no interest in it.

Same as with @MikeBeaver for me. Jeff is a joy to listen to, finally without constantly being interrupted by desperate attempts at doing a funny pun. The remaining GB staff are way too try-hard for my tastes and *extremely* American in their attempts at humour. I loved the original GB team who managed a perfect balance of being informative and interesting, with humorous bits happening organically during the conversation - instead trying to force them in at every turn because we HAVE TO BE LIKE DA FUNNY Y'ALL WE SO RANDOM.

It feels like current GB house style is aimed at a young American social media audience. Fair enough, maybe it's an age thing, but I'd rather listen to Jeff or NL. I can't see me ever checking out anything GB again except occasionally seeing what's happening in this thread and how much @rafaqat is enjoying it :)

The Nintendo Direct watchalong was the first thing I watched in ages (and will be my last).

Dan fitting in wrestling references for everything is tiring as fuck (and I watch the fucking stuff). And the fact he wasn't paying attention to what's being shown. "This isn't Monkey Island he says" despite Guybrush Threepwood being right on the fucking screen. Without Jeff or Vinny to reign him in, a loose Dan is just a complete fucking nightmare.

Also, Jeff is still beating them on Twitch views whenever he goes up against them so lol.

I have been meaning to check out some of the stuff they've been doing since Jeff left. I liked Dan last time he was with the company, I like Bakalar and I've always liked Jan. Jason and Rorie are fine, though they aren't big enough personalities to tune in for, for me. The other staff I don't know enough about to know if I like them. But without that core crew of Jeff, Ryan (RIP), Vinny, Brad and to a lesser extent Alex anywhere in the company, and with a lot of new faces, I really don't know what it'll be like.

It's a bit like when Chris Evans took over Top Gear. There's too many people and most of them aren't there every week so it's hard to fall into a rhythm of listening to their opinions each week. But everyone has spent the last year complaining that GB wasn't as good as it used to be and with Jeff leaving it's not just a brand that's part of Gamespot. It might find it's place or it might not but looking at the games industry as a whole the original GB cast are the odd ones out staying in this side of the game business for so long. 

I think they've both got better since the separation. I'm enjoying the GB Quick Looks and the podcast is a decent higher energy show. If I want something on in the background like a really good talk radio show I stick on Jeff. He's struggling for fresh stuff to say for three hours but it's great to hear him enjoying games/life more and his opinion on news and new games is the one I'm most interested to hear.

• 2 weeks later...

I do like the new Bombcast but it was weird that they spent the game section this week only taking about using their SteamDecks for emulating / pirating GameCube games. Grubb talked about using it to emulate Link Between Worlds a game that is still on sale. It’s something the old crew would do but I doubt talk so explicitly about on the Bombcast. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Didn't the old crew talk constantly about the MiSTeR and even do a couple of videos about ir. Jeff constantly did C64 and other emulation streams. 

A Link Betwen Worlds was out less than a decade ago and is still for sale by Nintendo, Commodore don't even exist.

• 2 weeks later...

New episode is great if you want to listen to Tam who got a free monitor talk about how great it is for about 20 minutes (it's not, it's completely average in every respect). Pretty poor. 

28 minutes ago, Moz said:

New episode is great if you want to listen to Tam who got a free monitor talk about how great it is for about 20 minutes (it's not, it's completely average in every respect). Pretty poor. 

I think he admitted to slumming it on 1080p before so 1440 at 120hz was an upgrade for him in how twitch games felt smoother?

I did enjoy his description of the escape room/murder mystery party thing he did in London.  I'd deffo love to do that.   :)

Yeah but that’s irrelevant, the old crew wouldn’t take a freebie and give it loads of airtime like that. Really felt like he was obliged to hit certain points and that he was reading off a checklist he barely understood. Practically an ad.

I have no interest in Giant Bomb but that bloke what left said in a stream a few days ago that when he played Star Fox 64 it was "bunk", and that "you load it up and finish one of those paths in just one sitting - MEH, rip off".

Imagine having to work with that sort of nonsense.