Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

Ad free I guess? Considering they were well ahead of the rest of media trying to catch up to the idea of subscribed premium content, it's a shame they're going the other way now. But Red Ventures are, at heart, an ad company.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the final straw for Jeff, without the premium revenue GB has nothing.

It's interesting, today's nextlander ramblecast is definitely worth a listen for some people here, as they talk about how CBS never really understood giant bomb's business model. RV seem even worse. Also it seems like Vinny got treated like shit quite a bit by upper management, which just breaks my heart, and explains why he got really miserable over the last few years at GB.

Some of the things Vinny mentions in that Ramblecast are grim. Having a manager suggest you had no future with the company, or be in a meeting where your colleagues were asked to describe the business going forwards without you, acting like you weren't even in the room, is absolutely disgraceful.

Absolutely. Trying to shoehorn what are effectively entertainment talent into a rigid corporate pay structure is also pretty disastrous.

Here's what the premium deal now is. Fucking discord,how did IRC get reborn as the new hotness and replace forums?Screenshot_2022-06-08-20-47-10-278_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.9582c283772b5ee0f386d6f087008592.jpg

51 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Some of the things Vinny mentions in that Ramblecast are grim. Having a manager suggest you had no future with the company, or be in a meeting where your colleagues were asked to describe the business going forwards without you, acting like you weren't even in the room, is absolutely disgraceful.

Sounds fascinating (in a terrible way). Might just have to subscribe for a month and give it a listen.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

What the actual fuck?! That sounds utterly soul-crushing.

Would be cool if the Nextlander crew, Gerstmann and some old GB faces like Drew collaborate on some occasional projects free of the constraints they were under. That being said, also would be totally understandable if they’ve drawn a line under such things and focus on carving their new niches.

I'm pretty sure they'll guest on each other's stuff from time to time, that happened following the 1UPocalypse back in the day but I figure it was more important back then because social media was much less of a factor in visibility than it is now. Gerstmann certainly doesn't need to appear on other podcasts to remind the world he exists so he has the luxury of being able to do things on his own terms.  I'm sure he'll want to and I'm sure plenty of people have reached out to him this week to offer support but it's cool he can basically bounce off the Giant Bomb stuff relatively easily.   

Times like this are weird though, it's a bit like when a band breaks up and suddenly it dawns upon you that these guys are just colleagues and not a gang who hang around with each other 24/7.  How many people have come and gone in your work life over the years, and while you'll usually remain on cordial terms with them it's not like you're involved in every twist and turn of their life. 

50 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

I'm pretty sure they'll guest on each other's stuff from time to time, that happened following the 1UPocalypse back in the day but I figure it was more important back then because social media was much less of a factor in visibility than it is now. Gerstmann certainly doesn't need to appear on other podcasts to remind the world he exists so he has the luxury of being able to do things on his own terms.  I'm sure he'll want to and I'm sure plenty of people have reached out to him this week to offer support but it's cool he can basically bounce off the Giant Bomb stuff relatively easily.   

Times like this are weird though, it's a bit like when a band breaks up and suddenly it dawns upon you that these guys are just colleagues and not a gang who hang around with each other 24/7.  How many people have come and gone in your work life over the years, and while you'll usually remain on cordial terms with them it's not like you're involved in every twist and turn of their life. 

Agree on the weird feelings changes like this bring even from a relatively disconnected position. At least in the long run it’ll be better for everyone involved, including us as listeners because we get an energised version of one of the more likeable personalities in gaming.

True about ex-colleagues, probably see a handful on a semi-regular basis. The majority I can barely remember what they look like, let alone have any idea what they’re up to even with all the various platforms to follow such things. Doubt any of them would want to do a podcast with me either.

I am sure your not being racist...

but in the UK Asian means India, Pakistan etc and Raf is Asian and is happy to get some representation. If you could not puzzle that out you could have just not said anything and that would have been fine too.

On the census 'Asian' includes East Asian countries - British Chinese people for example are still 'Asian or Asian British' on the British census.

Colloquially you are more correct.

But it's absolutely not as simple as saying 'in the UK Asian means South Asian'.

1 hour ago, Moz said:

Jan is Filipino

Sorry. I meant Asian as in what generally UK people think when you say Asian rather than what generally US people think when you say Asian.  I get your point though. 

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Sorry. I meant Asian as in what generally UK people think when you say Asian rather than what generally US people think when you say Asian.  I get your point though. 

Rest of the world, not just Americans. Tbf :)

I hate having to choose who to watch Summer Game Fest through. One Jeff is worth several Nu-Bombers, but...

Twitch is annoying, and GB also streams on Youtube which allows for timeshifting (pausing, flicking back through the video streamed so far, etc).