Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

9 minutes ago, fatbob said:

This all seems like it was figured out and decided last night/today/on air today. Which is i guess in the spirit of Giant Bomb at least. 😅

Can tell his GB exit emotions are pretty raw though.

I don't know. He's got an ad partner sorted already?

3 hours ago, fatbob said:

What happened to Danny? I know he has NoClip, but he's just sorta siddled away from Giant Bomb. He seemed genuinely really excited to start doing stuff there and it all seemed to peter out a bit.

One too many plates to spin. No Clip and the F1 Podcast he does with Drew are his main gigs, plus he’s married, has a kid and I guess in the work/life balance game Giant Bomb got cut.  

Yeah that's how I support Limmy.

Lots of new stuff announced during the latest pod, including the future of Premium. And teases of people getting back in shared spaces! Well, the people who live close together (like Bakalar and Dan).

The thought of another Mario Party finally broke him.

Imagine Jeff G had a pretty decent contract with GB, so any severance will allow him a decent cushion to get his new projects up and running (and looks like he’s off to a decent start there anyway). Add in his industry contacts and he could launch any number of things in the months to come. Jeff3?

He has regularly sounded jaded for a long while, but in his solo streams he’s a joy. He’s a born host, and so charismatic with it. Couple that with being a really luxurious leather-bound gaming encyclopaedia of a man powered by shady energy drinks and hip hop and it’s safe to conclude Jeff Gerstmann is still a threat.

I’ve got prime and its connected to twitch, but hitting sub only gives me options to pay and not use my free sub.  What am I missing?

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’ve got prime and its connected to twitch, but hitting sub only gives me options to pay and not use my free sub.  What am I missing?

I had the same issue trying to do it on the phone app. I switched the desktop browser version of twitch and it gave me the Prime option. 

Interestingly, Jeff says he wants to make content again instead of endless meetings about numbers. Which reminded me about my own criticism about Giant Bomb a few months back when I said they were always busy with something. Instead of producing content like the Whiskey Media days they were always busy with something that would lead to something - but that busy state was perpetual. I don't see the current GB escaping that.

He also said this was a long time coming. That things need to change up. It was unavoidably heading towards this for a few weeks now he said. And then he added or for the last two years really. Or maybe even for the last 9 years he concluded.

I immediately realized: 9 years ago Ryan died :(

3 hours ago, Mafro said:

In really can't stand Jeff Grubb.

Yeah I don't know what it is, I am sure he's a nice guy but his whole "my uncle works for Nintendo" shtick kind of irritates me. Something disingenuous about the guy.

He obviously has good connections but he makes SO many predictions that inevitably some are right, and they are always couched in unfalsifiable terms so not that interesting often.

I have unsubbed from all giantbomb stuff (except the 24 hour old content thing on twitch) All in on solo Jeff (and waypoint, and a bit of Nextlander)

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

Yeah I don't know what it is, I am sure he's a nice guy but his whole "my uncle works for Nintendo" shtick kind of irritates me. Something disingenuous about the guy.

Likewise.

I’m happy for Jeff, and in many ways, happy for Giant Bomb, too. It can’t be easy working someone who is as important and has as much ownership of a thing as Jeff did for Giant Bomb, when they’re feeling jaded and/or bitter about the whole thing.

I don’t really see myself going back to GB but hope they can make something decent.

It'll be interesting to see Jeff fly solo. I'm sure he'll be very successful, but I'll miss him bouncing off people. He does have some... um... 'unique' views on certain game franchises that he's just decided he hates, and so him being able to spout these opinions forever without being challenged at all may not always be the best thing! Like @Mozsays, though, chatting by himself for hours is quite the skill. It's an amazing thing to see. While I'm sure this format is sustainable, I wonder if it could drop audience fairly quickly, or if Jeff's charisma will carry him through even after people's wish for him to succeed (and therefore pledging blind) dials down.

2 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

It'll be interesting to see Jeff fly solo. I'm sure he'll be very successful, but I'll miss him bouncing off people. He does have some... um... 'unique' views on certain game franchises that he's just decided he hates, and so him being able to spout these opinions forever without being challenged at all may not always be the best thing! Like @Mozsays, though, chatting by himself for hours is quite the skill. It's an amazing thing to see. While I'm sure this format is sustainable, I wonder if it could drop audience fairly quickly, or if Jeff's charisma will carry him through even after people's wish for him to succeed (and therefore pledging blind) dials down.

He said he's planning on having guests regularly. Both fellow journos but also industry types - I'm expecting Phil Spencer tbh they have a good relationship and they were already planning something before. Also maybe even friends of his

Have Nextlander started their Beastcast reunion podcast yet? If so, how are they? I see it's listed under their £8/month tier on Patreon. The Vinny/Bakalar/Abby/Alex/Dan era of the Beastcast is some of my favourite podcast content ever so if this is delivering on the promise of new versions of that, I'd be very tempted to give it a go. 

12 hours ago, deerokus said:

Aye. If they wanted someone to join the team who is considered a news guy, then Patrick Klepek wouldve been better because at least he does/did investigative journalism and not just copy and paste what "my sources say".

There's a very weird moment around 2:53 where things get dark and Jeff starts talking about the stress of the previous role literally killing his dreams (his actual dreams) and poisoning his family. He seems a bit choked up talking about it. Glad he's not going through that any more, whatever it was.

https://youtu.be/0huG60XJkwc?t=10395

1 hour ago, Pungee said:

Have Nextlander started their Beastcast reunion podcast yet? If so, how are they? I see it's listed under their £8/month tier on Patreon. The Vinny/Bakalar/Abby/Alex/Dan era of the Beastcast is some of my favourite podcast content ever so if this is delivering on the promise of new versions of that, I'd be very tempted to give it a go. 

They've done one, Austin and Dan the guests. Just an hour long chat about random stuff. Nothing amazing but decently amusing. I wouldn't say it's the deal maker for signing up to their Patreon - it's a monthly show only and will have rotating former Beastcast guests, so it's not that amazing a thing.