Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

There was about 20 minutes of it in the last pod, after hearing Alex at Nextlander say exactly the same thing the week before. It reminds me people I quite like are dumb enough to like wrestling and it makes me sad

18 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yeah I have no interest in wrestling but there are so enthusiastic about it being good or bad that it's always interesting to listen to. 

Not sure why some people struggle with a small deviation to the topic at hand. 

I'm the same. Zero fucks about wrestling but I don't mind it. Alternatively if Jan is banging on about Kingdom Hearts/ Pokémon I'll skip that shit. 

They're bringing back the Power Bombcast so hopefully that'll mean they can put all that AEW talk on there.

I'm surprised they still talk about it to be honest seeing as the last wrestling guest they had on turned out to be a raging sex pest.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure this was covered at the time, but what is the point in Nextlander? They left GB to do the exact same thing with a slightly different monetisation method? The way they were talking on the "leaving" episode I was expecting them to come back with some brand new format that would rock GB but it is essentially the same thing. Not to mention that Vinny is the only slightly palatable voice for me on the show, I just don't see the point.

I think it’s just not being beholden to an employer and the uncertainty of repeated acquisitions, etc. 

There’s also a pay cap of your salary, where as on Patreon/Twitch, there’s no real limit to the number of mentals willing to give you too much money. 

I can see why the guys at Nextlander made that jump. It was clear Giantbomb was going to be changing, with a degree of uncertainty about the future of the business as a whole given ownership changes and so on. Plus they probably saw that they were not going to progress in the business, and Brad had the success of his own side project, so jumping ship and being their own masters doing what they want to do makes sense.

It's still finding it's feet a little but the podcast is getting there. It probably needs another voice in there to mix it up. And their video content needs to find it's voice - they need their own take on a QL style brand, and they need some solid 'serial' style content - a long running game series to work through, or some kind of genre deep dive. Then it's just polishing it. Their coverage of events and so on isn't quite there for instance.

But it'll come. They've got a solid group of guys. They just need to develop it further and probably get someone else with a different... voice, outlook, personality. Not a Dan, he's too much, but they need their own Ryan, Jeff, maybe even a Jan style presence.

I get why they wanted to leave and do their own thing, but I would have thought they would have had a plan to do something cool and different, but it's the just the same stuff.

I hope they do find a voice, but for me at the minute they are falling flat. Don't get me wrong, some of the segments that GB have introduced don't work for me either, but at least they are trying stuff to see what sticks.

That's the thing for me too. Not everything they're trying is doing it for me, but at least GB is trying wildly different and new stuff. And some of it is genuinely great. The NL guys up and left to apparently remain stagnant. Beyond "let's do a patreon and then stream games" it doesn't seem like there was much of a plan. Unless they've outlined some future stuff/a roadmap for their patreon subscriber, I don't know about that.

It was really touching hearing Vinny get all emotional about how much GB impacted his personal life in the final Beastcast. I'm sure he was genuine, so I don't see the logic of then leaving GB to do the exact same stuff he has been doing up until now. So I guess he meant what he said, but I assumed that was also part of the reason he decided to leave - and apparently that isn't it. If anything he started a new GB from scratch, which means a bigger workload and a similar if not bigger impact on his personal life.

Whatever the case, even if "more money" was the main reason that's totally fair enough. Those guys have kids n bills, you do what needs be. I do hope they'll improve though. With Jeff and Ryan as the main events, GB was fantastic right from the start. Even before it became a website. They needed time to find their groove, but while they did that, they were fantastically entertaining. NL on the other hand is just boring while they're currently searching for any kind of groove.

Good news everyone Ben is back on the Bombcast from next week. Jan described it as joining the rotation so I assume he’ll be there most weeks like Danny. I’ll be interested to hear how he interacts with the new more energetic Bombcast crew.

56 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Good news everyone Ben is back on the Bombcast from next week. Jan described it as joining the rotation so I assume he’ll be there most weeks like Danny. I’ll be interested to hear how he interacts with the new more energetic Bombcast crew.

Oh FFS!

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

bryan-cranston-fuck.gif

I suppose having someone who actually plays games and has some kind of personality on the site is a positive for what (used to be?) a personality based gaming site rather than the weird nerd-interest themed entertainment podcast/video network Bakalar and RV have turned it into.

Yes, Ben Pack is actually the saviour maybe.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Ben being completely unable to describe the Avengers game remains a low point. 

I'll see your Avengers low point and raise the time he spent ten minutes 'describing' Void Bastards without ever mentioning that it was a roguelike or an FPS.

I have to agree with the Waypoint disappointment, though. Vinny sounds old and tired and the other two just don't have the energy to spark him back into life. I was about to try the Bombcast again but the above news has scotched that idea...

Man, what if they'd gotten Austin instead of Ben to fill in. What could have been :(

37 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

I'll see your Avengers low point and raise the time he spent ten minutes 'describing' Void Bastards without ever mentioning that it was a roguelike or an FPS

And it was only because Jeff spoke up and said that it was a roguelike and FPS. Or else Ben would've happily rambled on for half an hour without anyone who hadn't actually played the game any wiser as to what the fuck kind of game it was.

17 hours ago, ryodi said:

Yay, we're saved :mellow: ffs. 

On 16/06/2021 at 21:59, rafaqat said:

I’m over the moon that they’re giving Ben the chance to chip in with some DOTA 2 features. 

22 hours ago, ryodi said:

Haha.  Man I was joking at the time but reading the reactions in here makes me laugh even more.  Cannot wait.    :D