IGNORED

Giant Bomb Fan Club

Nespresso

On 30/11/2020 at 10:08, rafaqat said:

And it's that sort of stuff I liked Abby bringing to the group

Late to the party but it's worth pointing out Vinnie backed dream daddies and abby in that debate as well. He really went to bat for it. I definitely found Abby annoying at times, but I really miss her interactions with him as I feel like she brought out a really interesting side of Vinnie that can get lost a little in the banter.

13 hours ago, Simmy said:

Wasn't Ben backroom staff at the time and just kinda got promoted to the forefront?

Not exactly, he'd been the teaboy or something on work experience years before when they were in the old basment, and they brought him back. 

15 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Must have served some daaaamn good tea!

Apparently they really liked him as an intern, because Brad dubbed him "the kingtern" back when ut was announced he was coming back. I remember thinking oh must be really good then, but soon I realized... oh no

So after GotY we're going to get QL and other videos without Ben, right? It's been so long since I last watched their video content. Looking forward to diving back in.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Apparently they really liked him as an intern, because Brad dubbed him "the kingtern" back when ut was announced he was coming back. I remember thinking oh must be really good then, but soon I realized... oh no

So after GotY we're going to get QL and other videos without Ben, right? It's been so long since I last watched their video content. Looking forward to diving back in.

Just finished the podcast, he'll be wrapping up his current run of videos, they said that as the GotY stuff is coming out in the coming week, there's likely to be some "Post Ben, Ben on the site"

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Thanks, good to know.

"Kingtern" suggests he was the best damn intern they ever had. But just like having the most amazing one night stand, that doesn't necessarily mean that person is also the best choice for a long-term relationship.

They had Matt Kessler as an intern around the same time. He's now a manager at Sony. 

Edited by deerokus

On 13/01/2021 at 15:01, deerokus said:

I saw some comments on the GB subreddit that he brought energy to gb. 

What the hell. 

The GB sub is actively censored as regards negative comments. The mods there were questioned on it once and just said they ‘like to try and maintain a positive atmosphere.’ Probably the worst place to go to get a sense of how GB fans feel in general. 

On 12/01/2021 at 22:13, ryodi said:

Twitch pays too much, GB would be a downgrade. I'm surprised Ben is leaving but Giantbomb is a career dead end, it makes me wonder how long Jan is going to stick around or since they were sold Abby and Ben will even be replaced. 

I could see them switching to a twice-weekly podcast rotating the various members of the East and West coast crews at this point. Given that eveyrone's working from home for the foreseeable. 

It's really worth mentioning that Brad and Will's podcast is excellent, I look forward to it much more than the beastcast. Their patreon Discord is a lovely place too. 

https://techpod.content.town/

It’s exactly what you expect it to be. Whether that’s a positive or negative is up to you. 

I did laugh at Brad being Brad again:

*Adds Destiny 2: Beyond Light to best looking list*
2 minutes later: “I don’t think Demons Souls should be on the list, it’s just another Souls game doing the Souls thing”. 

There’s a lot of dumb stuff being said by most of them though. 

The fact Cyberpunk 2077 was removed from Best Looking first was an absolute travesty. They even clarified that they were talking about the PC version. I mean, just look at this thread:

How that wasn't even in the top 3 best looking is crazy to me.

Jeff's criticism of "there being only a handful of corporations" in a world where half the fucking point is that corporations have merged into a handful who are now more powerful than nation states was absolutely mind boggling too.

I think it shows that none of them have modern (latest series) graphics cards, and even Jeff wasn't able to play it with raytracing on properly.

7 hours ago, Isaac said:

The fact Cyberpunk 2077 was removed from Best Looking first was an absolute travesty. They even clarified that they were talking about the PC version. I mean, just look at this thread:

How that wasn't even in the top 3 best looking is crazy to me.

Jeff's criticism of "there being only a handful of corporations" in a world where half the fucking point is that corporations have merged into a handful who are now more powerful than nation states was absolutely mind boggling too.

I think it shows that none of them have modern (latest series) graphics cards, and even Jeff wasn't able to play it with raytracing on properly.

I think their reasoning for it not hanging because of all the visual glitches and bugs is fair enough to bump it from the category. Like, Assassin's Creed Unity was a stunning looking game but you wouldn't include it because sometimes people's faces were inside out and that's not best looking. 

26 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I think their reasoning for it not hanging because of all the visual glitches and bugs is fair enough to bump it from the category. Like, Assassin's Creed Unity was a stunning looking game but you wouldn't include it because sometimes people's faces were inside out and that's not best looking. 

best styyyyyle then 

Did enjoy Alex’s first contribution was essentially arguing Ghosts of Tsushima was too pretty for the best-looking category. A category that definitely maybe almost certainly isn’t about looks but then ends up being exactly about that.

I generally enjoy the game of the year stuff, and it made for pleasant background noise while working from home today. It’s funny listening to them tying themselves in knots around their own loosely defined categories. Bless them all for keeping the thing going.

A nice constant to have during these weird times.

I watched most of the discussion for Best Looking game on YouTube yesterday and what I don't understand is why don't they make a microscopic bit of effort and pull up some actual footage of the games whilst they are talking? Try to make things a bit more enjoyable for people watching hours of tedious discussion whilst 5 or 6 of them sit there looking bored and disinterested? It might also help them get to a conclusion quicker.

The arguments from some of them for prefering one game over another are utterly dire in some cases and mostly nonsensical. It normally leads to just slagging off or nitpicking games so their other preferred game wins (or 'hangs'. Bleugh.)

Eg. "I think this game is just sooooo depressing so it can't win best looking". "This game has more colour so is better than that other game". "I only played a few hours of a 30 hour long game but my opinion is valid - so remove it from the list". Flight Simulator - "Realism = fantastic". Last of Us Pt 2 - "Realism = bad/boring/unimaginative", etc.

They will also bring in the technical side of visuals to win an argument about best looking - "Ori is 6K and 120fps maaaaannnn!!" But then some of those games are running on cutting edge new gen hardware and some are running on potato hardware from 2013. Where is the counter arguments to that? There aren't any put forward. Is it best looking or best technical accomplishment?

I've watched their game of the year stuff for a few years now and it never feels like a positive celebration of a year of gaming. It feels like a tedious slog for them and a tedious slog for the viewer to get through.

Fuck it in the bin.