Giant Bomb Fan Club

On 16/09/2020 at 05:13, deerokus said:

Having just said that about Ben, he tweets nonsense

Yeah, I'd much rather hear Ben's hilarious comedy stylings than the South Park guys... 

I bet he thinks that tweet is 100% comedy gold. 

5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Does anyone get this issue with descriptions not loading for the Beastcast?

qOwuIkJ.jpg

This is pocketcasts. I'm wondering if it's an issue with the podcast or the app. None of the other podcasts I subscribe to have this issue.

Descriptions appear fine in podcast addict. Might be an old feed you're subscribed to or something. 

Works fine for me in Pocketcasts.

The latest Beastcast brought up something regarding the sale that stupidly I didn't actually think of. They're going have to move offices again (if they ever get back in one). Must suck when they spent all that time getting the studio space just right only for them to have to do it all over again.

4 hours ago, Gambit said:

Works fine for me in Pocketcasts.

The latest Beastcast brought up something regarding the sale that stupidly I didn't actually think of. They're going have to move offices again (if they ever get back in one). Must suck when they spent all that time getting the studio space just right only for them to have to do it all over again.

On the other hand they might actually get a studio isn't an old store cupboard and doesn't have walls thin enough to bother the neighbouring office. If so, get Vinny back in VR (with hand protectors)!

Loving Jeff’s obvious annoyance in the Mario quick look when he keeps telling Brad ‘maybe you should follow the arrows’ and similar things in an understated but patronising way. How did Brad ever become a reviewer when he can’t spot the most obvious signposting in games about where to go next?

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Loving Jeff’s obvious annoyance in the Mario quick look when he keeps telling Brad ‘maybe you should follow the arrows’ and similar things in an understated but patronising way. How did Brad ever become a reviewer when he can’t spot the most obvious signposting in games about where to go next?

Brad has always been like that.

• 2 weeks later...

The first tangible effect of the sale - a huge amount of layoffs at GameSpot apparently. Question is if GB will be next or whether the new owners are going to merge the two because they're so similar.

Yeah, I would imagine part of the sale agreement would've been to strip the more bloated sites down so the new owner hasn't got liability.

I would not be shocked if there was a merging of the two sites though. And the idea of a New York and San Francisco office seems like the kind of thing that will be questioned. Especially if they are still homeworking for a while.

Them working from home has now proven to work just as well, hasn't it? I don't keep up with the site much nowadays, but it's probably safe to assume that they're still moaning about it in terms of needing a studio and streaming from home is a faff - but let's be real now, yer average 15 year old has no problem whatsoever producing content in this manner from their own bedroom. And tge quality of GB's content has only improved, if only because they're not rigidly stuck to certain combinations of staff. If a game suits Vinny and Jeff best, Vinny and Jeff can look at it.

I can't imagine their new owner seeing a need for 2 expensive studios. Maybe not even 1 to be honest, but certainly not 2. Vinny and Alex can live and work from New York no problem. If needs be post-covid Alex can pop round Vinny's basement. Would probably only lead to better content.

I dunno, as per the top comment on Fortnite with St Vincent - "This is a Ryckert level accomplishment."

So how come Abby is renting an office, then? Can't she just work in their normal office, if no one else is there?

15 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Not sure you can really make a case for Abby and Ben though. They might have to go. 

We can only hope their new owners are longtime fans of the site and hate Ben as much as we do.

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Them working from home has now proven to work just as well, hasn't it?

Hard disagree there. I would much prefer them to be in a studio together doing group streams. That said I cancelled my premium membership a month or two ago so who cares what I think. 

7 minutes ago, Radish said:

Hard disagree there. I would much prefer them to be in a studio together doing group streams. That said I cancelled my premium membership a month or two ago so who cares what I think. 

Same here, but iirc 4 months ago. After being subscribed for over a decade but Ben wore me down until I was forced to cancel. I think most of the people posting here lately are cancelled premium posters.

6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

We can only hope their new owners are longtime fans of the site and hate Ben as much as we do.

I listened to my first Bombcast in years the other week. I wanted to see what they said about all the new console stuff. I didn’t actually find Ben that bad. Maybe he was just quieter that week or maybe he’s improved but I find Abby much more irritating these days. Probably because I do listen to the Beastcast so all her quirks grate a lot more. “I feel like I need to like say something about what I like think about this like thing even though I don’t like know what you’re like talking about. I feel like...”

Presenting a Fortnite channel to tweens who can think she’s their cool auntie is probably about her level.  

I don't usually mind Ben too much but on this week's podcast he started laughing when they were talking about Chrome not supporting Stadia in a 'look at me I'm laughing' sort of way. He kept on doing it in the background, presumably in the hope that someone would ask him what he was laughing at. And then he did it some more. No-one asked him and then he made some sort of obvious point to which he was given short shrift by Jeff. It was very cringe-y.

I've been finding the content not of interest lately to be honest. In the case of the podcasts I think it's because it's naturally been a quieter year which should change a bit with the new gen starting.

The streams they've been doing have just gotten stale for me. They need something on par with Brad and Vinnie playing Astroneer. It also doesn't help that there's no real schedule so I never know what's on when.

I'd watch a Jan stream of him playing Genshin Impact.

VinnyStainia, Breaking Brad, Mass Alex, Hot Spot and Sea Beasts have been good recently. The features where they have multiple personalities on are the best as it allows others to chat during the games down times. There's not been a Truckin' for a while which sucks. I find Clue Crew oddly endearing because it's such an odd couple match up that it kind of works?

I'm so glad they sorted out the Quick Looks. The initial batch at the start of quarantine were awful. One person streaming a game, occasionally talking over the top in a dry manner was dire and it didn't even seem fun for them to do.

Now they've sorted the tech issues we're getting proper quick looks again with multiple team members talking naturally. Even better we're getting more East and West mash ups. Brad, Jason AND Vinny talking Bugsnax? Yes please!

A rocky start but they've adapted well and are producing some of their best post-Ryckert content.

46 minutes ago, Flub said:

It also doesn't help that there's no real schedule so I never know what's on when.

This feels familiar...

On 15/09/2020 at 16:37, Flub said:

The Astroneer episodes were amazing. I wish they'd do more to let us know what streams they have planned. The list on their website tonight only has them down for the Bombcast and I'm certain someone will be streaming afterwards. I'm doing semi afk stuff in Black Desert at the moment. I need stuff to watch :)

On 15/09/2020 at 16:42, SweatyTravolta said:

Latest entry

Tuesday 10/06/2020

I did it. I just finished the campaign portion of Star Wars: Squadrons. Not sure if it was exactly necessary to do that, but I really wanted to get through it before recording the Quick Look tomorrow. Going to spend time with the multiplayer now and see how that is. I think the campaign is... ok? The story didn't grab me, but as a device to introduce you to all the ships it's effective. After I FINALLY figured out how to boost properly (I think I am now... at least) and also how to manage the power on the TIE fighters it was more fun. Quick Look should record and go up on Wednesday.

Abby and I recorded a Quick Look today for The Solitaire Conspiracy which seems like a fun take on solitaire. Look for that soon.

We then tried to squeeze in another recording for Six Crazy Frights but ran out of time as I have to jump into a meeting. The setup and tutorial was a bit more than we were expecting so hopefully we can squeeze that in somewhere else.

There's also a Quick Look for Genshin Impact which I believe is being recorded tomorrow as well with Jan, Jeff, and Jason? People might change.

I believe Brad will have some BugSnax coverage later this week but no Breaking Brad. Taking a week off.

No Mass Alex tomorrow because we're planning on doing it live on Friday! Brad might even join us.

This Wednesday's Playdate is scheduled to be some Left 4 Dead with Abby, Ben, Alex, and Jan.

Breakfast 'N' Ben is on the schedule for Thursday morning as well!

And keep an eye out for more Clue Crew on Friday.

Bombcast / Beastcast / HotSpot all on track.

I'll hopefully get some time in on Baldur's Gate 3's early access stuff before the Beastcast if I can swing it.

Now, off to that meeting!

--Vinny

QUICK EDIT

I am TERRIBLE at multiplayer in Squadrons. That is all.

They literally have a front page on the website where they occasionally post what they're doing. I shouldn't have to dig into the forum to read a random thread that may or may not be updated. This isn't complicated stuff.