Giant Bomb Fan Club

59 minutes ago, Lazlow said:

I think this is the beginning of the end for the site, it's been on this downward spiral for the past year really; where they seem to be putting in as little effort in as possible. GOTY last year was such a rush job, the group doesn't seem to all play the latest release so they have something to talk about and during the pandemic (which is a tough situation) they are producing the same 4 or 5 bits of content over and over. You've got 4 full time 'producers' on staff and yet there are one man bands on youtube producing higher quality content off of their own back. I can't see the new owners looking at what the site does, stacking it up against a brand like Gamespot, and then deciding not to roll them in to that site.

I think it's just run it's course now, the appeal of the site was the 4 friends working together and talking about games; they had a natural chemistry and it was their personalities which made the site appealling. That is gone. Ryan died and left a hole that couldn't be filled, ever. Vinny went East and was the only person Jeff could play off of other than Ryan. Hiring Dan was the exact type of person they needed when the site was at the lowest point and that extended the life of the site, he brought new ideas and enthusiam to the table. Generally speaking I think they've done a good job hiring people over the years, no one has been a disaster that they have had to quietly push them out the door 6 months later, even the most recent additions; they've all brought something to the table. Unfortunately though I can't stand Ben or Abby anymore, their personalities have become more prominent as their confidence has grown and I just don't like them as people. I liked a lot of the features they were in originally, Aftermath, 13 Deadly Sims etc but now I skip any content they are in, even more so if they are the only people in it. I do hope Abby/Vinny get to do the Halloween feature this year in some capacity though because that has been fun.

When it comes down to it my problem is this: I like Jeff, Brad & Vinny; they've got older, are on differen't coasts, become jaded or at least not as interested in the industry anymore and the vibe of the site before is gone. I don't care about the rest of the crew, they are all additional baggage to the original reason I followed the site. The Hotspot is what I am after and I'll continue to enjoy that content for now but I can't see myself upping my sub (if that's even an option by the time it ends).

Agree with all of this, they should call it a day. I can't see how any media company would look at their output now and decide that they should buy their brand and pay them a salary. It's been quite surprising how half-arsed an attempt they've made to switch the site to home-stream setups and figure out how to make the best content out of a shit situation. There are teenagers doing much higher quality work on Youtube and Twitch.

Although I hope Jeff becomes a full-time solo streamer, he's really good at it. There's a knack to making your viewers feel like they're hanging out with you playing video games and he nails it.

Giantbomb's output had been half arsed for a while. 

Half the time with quick looks it's evident they've barely played the game, they stopped doing reviews, the 'special' content like Christmas coverage went from a highlight of the season to barely any effort put in at all, and the lockdown stuff they've done has been really, really weak. I've only bothered with Alex's drumming streams and that's almost cheating as, frankly, it's just an 'l(extremely talented) bloke playing a 3hr playlist at heart with inter-song banter - it's nearly an old school radio show.

I'm not sure what Giantbomb is these days. And I don't think they know either.

Couldnt get through 5 minutes of Abbie hosting the Beastcast, awful stuff. I like Mary Kish, she's genuinely funny, but she was barely allowed a word in between Abbie telling us that she's a real comedian because she goes to an improv class. 

She made a quip about how she was "cold to gallop" a few weeks back when Vinnie asked if she was hot to trot. She kept saying it over and over. If thats funny then fire me directly into the sun please.

Abbie and Ben are the two all time worst hires and it really is showing now.

1 minute ago, dave7g said:

Couldnt get through 5 minutes of Abbie hosting the Beastcast, awful stuff. I like Mary Kish, she's genuinely funny, but she was barely allowed a word in between Abbie telling us that she's a real comedian because she goes to an improv class. 

She made a quip zzabout how she was "cold to gallop" a few weeks back when Vinnie asked if she was hot to trot. She kept saying it over and over. If thats funny then fire me directly into the sun please.

Abbie and Ben are the two all time worst hires and it really is showing now.

The other baffling 'comedian' podcast person is the massively unfunny Christian Spicer from Jeff Cannata's shows, who somehow does stand-up.

Ben is just the absolute worst. I can forgive someone who has nothing of any value to add as long as they keep interruptions to a minimum and also don't have a droaning irritating voice. He is blissfully unaware of how annoying he is and also seems to think he is a comedy genius. Other than that he's alright. 

It used to be a few intelligent people messing around and being silly while still giving the subject of games the amount of attention the audience wanted. They k ew it was frivolous but were as interested as anyone else and struck the right balance. 

The silliness and goofiness worked because it was clear where it was coming from. Now they’ve surrounded themselves with other people who just aren’t that bright and you can hear the surprise and exasperation as that slowly becomes apparent. I know Abby’s young, but some of the things she’s ignorant of remind me of the girl I worked with who asked me what the IRA was before following it up with ‘what’s a Glaswegian?’ a little later. There’s only so much youth excuses. 

Dan was interesting one because he was clearly dumb as shit in many ways but he was self-aware and willing to learn and to be the butt of jokes because of it.  That’s why he worked, he was the willing subject of their jokes. Now they have other, less entertaining Dans who they have to explain things to without taking the piss. 

“I feel like...”

3 minutes ago, Pockets said:

It used to be a few intelligent people messing around and being silly while still giving the subject of games the amount of attention the audience wanted. They k ew it was frivolous but were as interested as anyone else and struck the right balance. 

The silliness and goofiness worked because it was clear where it was coming from. Now they’ve surrounded themselves with other people who just aren’t that bright and you can hear the surprise and exasperation as that slowly becomes apparent. I know Abby’s young, but some of the things she’s ignorant of remind me of the girl I worked with who asked me what the IRA was before following it up with ‘what’s a Glaswegian?’ a little later. There’s only so much youth excuses. 

Dan was interesting one because he was clearly dumb as shit in many ways but he was self-aware and willing to learn and to be the butt of jokes because of it.  That’s why he worked, he was the willing subject of their jokes. Now they have other, less entertaining Dans who they have to explain things to without taking the piss. 

“I feel like...”

I know she is, strictly speaking, a 'producer' but her lack of industry knowledge has reared it's head many times recently ('I didn't care about E3 until I got this job'). If it was a more mainstream site, IGN, Gamespot etc then I'd forgive it but she is on a really niche site with a hardcore audience, I am surprised they didn't vet her interest level before being hired.

11 minutes ago, Lazlow said:

I know she is, strictly speaking, a 'producer' but her lack of industry knowledge has reared it's head many times recently ('I didn't care about E3 until I got this job'). If it was a more mainstream site, IGN, Gamespot etc then I'd forgive it but she is on a really niche site with a hardcore audience, I am surprised they didn't vet her interest level before being hired.

I agree but I think half of that is her trying to act cooler than the nerds. She clearly thinks she must be some sort of girl gamer queen to the listeners. Dropping in things like that is deliberate on her part to remind people - maybe her friends or potential employers listening - that she’s hip comedian producer first, gamer a distant second, it’s just a casual hobby for her. 

I don’t think it’s really true and I think she’s given up the pretence a little now - at the start she seemed to actively begrudge the fact it was a gaming site she worked for - but she still thinks she’s cooler than everyone else when she’s probably the least cool one there, including Ben. I mean, fucking improv?!

TBH, she reminds me a little of an incredibly annoying NYC girlfriend I had for a while. She was nice enough but so fucking right on all the time. She also did improv. That’s probably why Abby really gets to me. 

I don't mind Abby actually, but I remember that early on Vinny did try to do some improvey bits with her and she was terrible at it. And during some Pax panel, I think she was paired with Jeff doing an improv post mortem on a fictional game, and Jeff had to really pull her through it as she was dying up there. Jeff was funny and convincing, she was anything but. Jeff and Vinny do those bits effortlessly without having actually studied improv. I guess my point is that you need something who has a natural talent for this kind of thing. Vinny was originally the video production dude, but became a regular in front of the camera because he has charisma and is funny. Same with Dave, same with Drew. It goes to show that hiring someone just because they do actual improv, doesn't necessarily pay off.

From what I've gathered some of their best pandemic content as they see it, at least, is Minecraft. I have had no interest in watching anyone play Minecraft for a decade. 

Abby's 'not a nerd' thing is a schtick I think. It's not funny mind you. 

The Astroneer episodes were amazing. I wish they'd do more to let us know what streams they have planned. The list on their website tonight only has them down for the Bombcast and I'm certain someone will be streaming afterwards. I'm doing semi afk stuff in Black Desert at the moment. I need stuff to watch :)

5 minutes ago, Flub said:

The Astroneer episodes were amazing. I wish they'd do more to let us know what streams they have planned. The list on their website tonight only has them down for the Bombcast and I'm certain someone will be streaming afterwards. I'm doing semi afk stuff in Black Desert at the moment. I need stuff to watch :)

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/giant-bombs-official-thread-about-site-goings-on-1886428/

Vinny is pretty good at updating this when he's working.

46 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Yeah I know, I can’t help myself. I’m sure she’s fine really but those weekly doses of annoying habits have slowly built up and I released the valve a bit. 

It's okay to not like Abby...

I know the end of year awards are usually a shit show but that time when Abby completely rail roaded the debate to get some Dream Daddy dating game on the list was painful to listen to. In fact I don't think I even got to the end of it...did it actually make the list?!

15 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I know the end of year awards are usually a shit show but that time when Abby completely rail roaded the debate to get some Dream Daddy dating game on the list was painful to listen to. In fact I don't think I even got to the end of it...did it actually make the list?!

I think she did. To be fair, she was brand new then and every staff member kept joking about how the GotY discussions were hard fought battles and about that one time that Austin came prepared. So she went in with a completely wrong super aggressive mindset, thinking that was what was expected, and during the discussion didn't pick up on the awkwardness and negative atmosphere her ranting and raving caused. It was so painful. 

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Austin's GotY thing is still utter, utter shite.

'You're going to give me this one or else' effectively. Ugh.

To be fair to Austin, Invisible Inc should be top 10 no question. He was fighting the good fight against the ignorant scrubs who hadn't played an amazing game. 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Her worst problem is not giving up on shit. Her whole Schweppes thing got old fast. Sure, make the joke if you must, even do the callback later on, might raise a smile. But constantly throughout the whole show? And then still next week? Fuck off.

Just now, Pockets said:

Her worst problem is not giving up on shit. Her whole Schweppes thing got old fast. Sure, make the joke if you must, even do the callback later on, might raise a smile. But constantly throughout the whole show? And then still next week? Fuck off.

Fortunately I have no idea what you are on about :lol:

Haven't listened to one with Abby for months....

I’m uncomfortable when things start feeling like a pile on but I think the part that troubles me is that their confidence has grown but their ability has not. 

I have never really watched any of the subscriber content regularly. I was happy to give them money just for the amount of work time the bombcast has helped pass for me. Nowadays it feels like it makes time go slower. :(

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I think Cuphead should be higher.

54 minutes ago, Faded said:

I’m uncomfortable when things start feeling like a pile on but I think the part that troubles me is that their confidence has grown but their ability has not. 

I have never really watched any of the subscriber content regularly. I was happy to give them money just for the amount of work time the bombcast has helped pass for me. Nowadays it feels like it makes time go slower. :(

Yeah I try to avoid it because once I start I can’t stop. I don’t dislike Abby or Ben as people. I can actually tell they’re okay and quite likeable, they’re just incredibly irritating. I don’t listen to West stuff (Ben) so don’t really know about Ben these days but I definitely think Abby’s confidence has made her worse. You can tell with the piss-taking of Jeff B which is a bit they all do but she often seems to get it a bit wrong somehow and just come off a little harsh. 

50 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Yeah I try to avoid it because once I start I can’t stop. I don’t dislike Abby or Ben as people. I can actually tell they’re okay and quite likeable, they’re just incredibly irritating. I don’t listen to West stuff (Ben) so don’t really know about Ben these days but I definitely think Abby’s confidence has made her worse. You can tell with the piss-taking of Jeff B which is a bit they all do but she often seems to get it a bit wrong somehow and just come off a little harsh. 

She comes off as a bully to Jeff B, it has really soured me on the West stuff for a while.

We had some good years through.:wub: Every event in gaming was better when Giant Bomb covered it,  every E3 and unveiling, every hardware release-day was made even more fun by the Bomb-crew streaming for five hours or more. I still think fondly of the Kinect because it makes me think of "Horse, meet rider".