Giant Bomb Fan Club

I'm sure someone's said this before and done the maths better, but was just thinking about the fact that the time between Ryan Davis' death and now is longer than the launch of the site to his death. :(

7 hours ago, Radish said:

Honestly, while that may have been the case a few years ago (enthusiastic, yes, but genuine rather than exaggerated) it certainly isn't true now. 

If, as would be the case in a just world, I were to be elevated to become a new Stalin figure in complete ideological control of the hemisphere, those Easy Allies cunts would all be digging their own graves in a frozen hellhole eating their own shattered fingers.

Utter cunts, all of them. Anyone who listens to them is simple.

boyfriend who went through a bad breakup.

I hope my ex doesn't go public about my reaction when she dumped me aka "we split up".

No doubt I was emotionally "regressive" by blocking her on facebook, telling her to go back to Blackpool and no I wasn't interested in being friends.

OK, I admit it.  The Blackpool bit was a low blow. #metoo.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just listening to the Tsushima section on the current bombcast and listening to Jeff begrudingly, sort of enjoy it, it made me wonder when was the last time he was super pumped about a new game? I don’t listen regularly anymore but the last time I remember him being genuinely excited about a game was Titanfall 2.

I don’t think I listened to their Mario Odyssey chat so thought maybe that. I remember he didn’t like BOTW.

Jeff likes dumb arcadey stuff and stuff entirely driven by gameplay. He doesn't seem that bothered with a lot of the AAA stuff of recent years because he doesn't really seem to be that interested by stuff that is more story driven or artistic in nature - Control is about the closest to this type of game he's rated, and it's obvious that it's because Control puts great gameplay at it's forefront and wallpapers over out with cool narrative stuff.

Unfortunately for him the industry has shifted it's sights for its top flight games on to extremely high production values and narrative driven titles, and multiplayer franchises of which there's only so much variety. A lot of the stuff he likes seems to have switched to the indie sphere, and been increasingly niche. I'm not sure he really likes a lot of the indie darlings either, I'm not sure he likes much of the faux retro stuff.

So he's kinda fucked in the current climate. The stuff he likes doesn't really exist in any great way anymore.

That’s the thing, he just comes across like he hates to admit he liked parts of it, because his default position is often so dismissive!

I almost feel bad for him - a lot of his life revolves around games but he doesn’t seem to enjoy many current ones. 

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

:)

"I don't really like games anymore but I can't admit this to myself so it's a problem with the games and the people who have noticed what a jaded curmudgeon I have become".

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

He also has a point in that a lot of people seem to get VERY defensive about big Sony exclusives. Not so much here imo, but in general. Out there.

Definitely true of Last of Us and stuff like that. Media is as guilty of that too mind you. 

1 hour ago, AI1 said:

He said the same about God of War as well. Think he needs his brain checked.

He's always had a boner for rock solid 60FPS games on console, and I think he spends most of his time on a PC with a 2080 and a 144hz monitor, so having to go back to a Pro or even an X must be jarring. I can't disagree with him here.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Jeff likes dumb arcadey stuff and stuff entirely driven by gameplay. He doesn't seem that bothered with a lot of the AAA stuff of recent years because he doesn't really seem to be that interested by stuff that is more story driven or artistic in nature - Control is about the closest to this type of game he's rated, and it's obvious that it's because Control puts great gameplay at it's forefront and wallpapers over out with cool narrative stuff.

Unfortunately for him the industry has shifted it's sights for its top flight games on to extremely high production values and narrative driven titles, and multiplayer franchises of which there's only so much variety. A lot of the stuff he likes seems to have switched to the indie sphere, and been increasingly niche. I'm not sure he really likes a lot of the indie darlings either, I'm not sure he likes much of the faux retro stuff.

So he's kinda fucked in the current climate. The stuff he likes doesn't really exist in any great way anymore.

He's not wrong, most of the narrative in AAA game is still sub-par, just generic and embarrassing. This is even more egregious when it takes precedence over whatever fun mechanics are in the game. It's just pointless map bloat and busy work, weapon maintenance, crafting, etc., fine in Minecraft and co, but not when it keeps you from enjoying the game. It's just really lazy, and Jeff can smell that egotistical wank a mile away.

Jeff is waiting for the next shift in design, he wants Disco Elysium's narrative mechanics in a tight non-bloat AAA box.

From everything I've seen, and I'll admit I haven't played it, Tsushima looks like Samurai Creed to me. I'm not surprised he didn't like it. Also, he liked Modern Warfare. 

I don't get why people get aggrieved with him. He can like or dislike what he wants to. Just because it's a big new game, it doesn't mean he has to like it. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

He also has a point in that a lot of people seem to get VERY defensive about big Sony exclusives. Not so much here imo, but in general. Out there.

oh come on, we've seen it plenty on here too.

Listening to this weeks Beastcast, Alex and Jeff Bakalar don't seem like they were blown away by Tsushima either. Maybe Gerstmanns lack of enthusiasm for the game isn't that unusual afterall? 

2 hours ago, bear said:

Listening to this weeks Beastcast, Alex and Jeff Bakalar don't seem like they were blown away by Tsushima either. Maybe Gerstmanns lack of enthusiasm for the game isn't that unusual afterall? 

What about his lack of enthusiasm for practically every game released this year? That's a bit unusual for someone in his job.

On 20/07/2020 at 13:58, bear said:

Was anyone, Giantbomb or otherwise, really frothing at the mouth for Tsushima? Outside of it's unique setting it doesn't really look like anything more than 'Samurai Creed' as mentioned previously; I lost interest the moment I saw it was an open world game. Always felt like Days Gone to me, there was 'hype' that wasn't relative to the actual quality of the game.

• 1 month later...

I think they've all finally realised they won't be back in the office anytime soon and are continuing a number of long running shows from home. Last weeks Vinnyvania and especially the Playdate: Among Us were excellent. And the Hotspot continues to bre great nostalgia bait. This week they were just playing and guessing a bunch of 80's/90's cartoon themes (Count Duckula!).

Looking forward to what the hell happened on Jeff's adventure away from the fires this week (if he's back).

• 2 weeks later...