Giant Bomb Fan Club

I've always found it very strange how completely unaware us tech/gaming journalists (outside of those covering mobile phones) are of anything related to android or really anything not-apple. Giant Bomb used to make fun of rorie for being the weirdo with an android phone!

If you only ever use apple products you might not know what USB C is I suppose. 

Ben was just awful this week. It's so much better when he's not on the Bombcast.

HURR WOW what if you didn't drink Jaeger but ate it instead HURR HURR Imagine?

He went to criticize games for their humor.

After that!

On 30/01/2020 at 11:20, SadPanda said:

I just unsubbed. I've been a premium member since the beginning. 
It hurt to do so. But at the same time, I had to express my dissatisfaction with the way things are going at GB.
It's a personality-driven site, and I have severe issues with one such personality. To each their own, yadda yadda, I get it.
If there is one regular GB West premium feature without Ben (ONE!), I'll resub gladly. All I want is a little Ben-free breathing room for GB West.

It would be really interesting to know sub numbers in the days of Patreon.

17 hours ago, deerokus said:

I've always found it very strange how completely unaware us tech/gaming journalists (outside of those covering mobile phones) are of anything related to android or really anything not-apple. Giant Bomb used to make fun of rorie for being the weirdo with an android phone!

If you only ever use apple products you might not know what USB C is I suppose. 

MacBooks have had USB-C only ports for a few years now, the iPad Pro has USB-C instead of Lightning, and the AirPods Pro come with a Lightning-to-USB-C cable.

The Switch uses USB-C as well.

On 30/01/2020 at 11:20, SadPanda said:

I just unsubbed. I've been a premium member since the beginning. 
It hurt to do so. But at the same time, I had to express my dissatisfaction with the way things are going at GB.
It's a personality-driven site, and I have severe issues with one such personality. To each their own, yadda yadda, I get it.
If there is one regular GB West premium feature without Ben (ONE!), I'll resub gladly. All I want is a little Ben-free breathing room for GB West.

Wonder if they would ever chase leaving subscribers and ask them why etc.

Edit: The clip above starts at the game chat.

I really enjoyed the chat the team had about Journey to the Savage Planet. Ben especially talking about his experience and it chiming with how the others experienced it.  Gone from a maybe to definitely to check out.

On 30/01/2020 at 21:49, Lazlow said:

Ben Pack, employed 40 hours a week to talk about games and tech: "What is USB C?"...

to be fair they talk about usb c and then mention usb 3.0 and usb 3.1 ending with the host saying "oh I don't know it's a fucking mess I can't keep up with it all"    I can't believe the team don't know the difference between USB 3.0 and USB 3.1.  What a bunch of squares!

You don’t always need to be a Ben apologist  p

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

to be fair they talk about usb c and then mention usb 3.0 and usb 3.1 ending with the host saying "oh I don't know it's a fucking mess I can't keep up with it all"    I can't believe the team don't know the difference between USB 3.0 and USB 3.1.  What a bunch of squares!

That's the thing all the Ben-defenders in this thread seem to be missing. Even if you don't think Ben is funny at all, even if he can't describe even the most basic game in an informative manner, even if he can't formulate a single coherent thought to safe his life - it all wouldn't be so annoying if he would just shut the fuck up for a moment every now and then and let other people speak. I mean, even if you are a huge fan like @rafaqat, surely at some point during the three hour podcast you want to hear someone saying something about anything without getting cut off before the end of every sentence? Surely? Or would you be happy if Ben released his own custom White Noise tape of him hurring non-stop for three hours? Would that be bliss? 

Edited for my English being crap.

I finished typing that and immediately realized that "a white noise tape of Ben hurring non-stop for three hours" is exactly what the Bombcast has become ever since he joined. Funny joke turns out to be a sad joke :(

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's the thing all the Ben-defenders (Benders?) in this thread seem to be missing. Even if you don't think Ben is funny at all, even if he can't describe even the most basic game in an informative manner, even if he can't formulate a single coherent thought to safe his life - it all wouldn't be so annoying if he would just shut the fuck up for a moment every now and then and let other people speak. I mean, even if you are a huge Bender like @rafaqat, surely at some point during the three hour podcast you want to hear someone saying something about anything without getting cut off before the end of every sentence? Surely? Or would you be happy if Ben released his own custom White Noise tape of him hurring non-stop for three hours? Would that be bliss? 

I’d appreciate if you didn’t use the word bender since you full well know what it’s other usage as an insult is 

3 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I’d appreciate if you didn’t use the word bender since you full well know what it’s other usage as an insult is 

To be honest, I didn't! I was thinking of the Futurama character or getting drunk. I just googled it... The pitfalls of English not being my primary language, will edit it immediately. Apologies.

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

To be honest, I didn't! I was thinking of the Futurama character or getting drunk. The pitfalls of English not being my primary language, will edit it immediately. Apologies.

thanks. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's the thing all the Ben-defenders (Benders?) in this thread seem to be missing. Even if you don't think Ben is funny at all, even if he can't describe even the most basic game in an informative manner, even if he can't formulate a single coherent thought to safe his life - it all wouldn't be so annoying if he would just shut the fuck up for a moment every now and then and let other people speak. I mean, even if you are a huge Bender like @rafaqat, surely at some point during the three hour podcast you want to hear someone saying something about anything without getting cut off before the end of every sentence? Surely? Or would you be happy if Ben released his own custom White Noise tape of him hurring non-stop for three hours? Would that be bliss? 

Here’s the thing. It’s fine saying you don’t like his interruptions. But just look at the previous posts about Ben. They’re the same point made over and over and over.  Adds fuck all to this thread.  Low effort low quality posts.  Why not talk about what bits you do enjoy.  Or just not make this thread a constantly negative conversation.   Not enjoying giant bomb anymore?   Fine. Go contribute to the Easy Allies thread or start a new one on Retronauts. 

6 hours ago, replicant said:

You don’t always need to be a Ben apologist  p

you could actually write something positive in thread?

anything you’ve enjoyed on Bombcast recently?  Any game they talked about in the last podcast grab your interest through the chat? 

I think that the only “real” problem with Ben is how prominent he is in GB West’s content. He has a very divisive sense of humour and mannerisms but that’s ok, people aren’t perfect and when you hear or watch someone for hours a week there are bound to be things that annoy you. The problem is when he’s in 90% of their content doing the exact same thing every time, there’s just no respite. You either watch Ben or you stop watching GB West. There’s basically no middle ground and that’s a bit frustrating. 

Especially in contrast to GB East who are fantastic (although I think they’ll be hurt by Dan leaving). 

18 hours ago, fragglerock said:

When you cancel they put up a box that you can write your reasons in...

I wrote one 3 letter name.

Jan has terrible taste in games and his contributions on the Bombcast tend to devolve into him ironically listing Pokemon characters, but he's not that bad, surely...

4 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Here’s the thing. It’s fine saying you don’t like his interruptions. But just look at the previous posts about Ben. They’re the same point made over and over and over.  Adds fuck all to this thread.  Low effort low quality posts.  Why not talk about what bits you do enjoy.  Or just not make this thread a constantly negative conversation.   Not enjoying giant bomb anymore?   Fine. Go contribute to the Easy Allies thread or start a new one on Retronauts. 

Bit ironic that you are complaining about repetitive irritation whilst also defending Ben..

1 minute ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Bit ironic that you are complaining about repetitive irritation whilst also defending Ben..

Welcome to the thread.   What did you enjoy about the latest podcasts?

13 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

Jan has terrible taste in games and his contributions on the Bombcast tend to devolve into him ironically listing Pokemon characters, but he's not that bad, surely...

There's an awful lot of Pokemon talk going around the podcasts these days. Am I the only one that does not give a fiddler's fuck about it? Jan is creeping into Ben - DOTA territory. 

I didn't like Alex or Rorie either back in the day. They didn't put me off listening or watching GB content though, because they didn't put themselves front and center at all times. They would do their bit and then let others do theirs. Ben is the only one among them who starts jabbering the second the music stops and keeps going until the very end. Even if his style of humour and being unable to form coherent sentences or make any kind of point whatsoever, isn't something I'm particularly fond of, it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if he let others do their thing. Not interrupt everything constantly, even if it's something he knows nothing about. Constantly punning every conversation into Oblivion. I'm surprised nobody has told him the site is called Giant Bomb, not Giant Ben - he doesn't have to keep making sounds non-stop to get paid. None of the other staff members do. I don't give a shit about Jan's lame Pokemon stories and his shitty mobile games - but he speaks at least somewhat eloquently on his subject matters and he waits his turn. So the weekly pokebullshit doesn't bother me. In the spirit of positivity: if you like Ben, I have to believe you'd enjoy him even more if he became better at his job.