rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

On 22/08/2019 at 00:04, Couch Corpse said:

Made 21 minutes, and mostly fast forwarded through that, before turning it off.

Did the same.

• Upvote 1

Normally I'd re-up and stack on a premium sale, my membership is just paying for the west now. I used to enjoy UPF, Ranking, and the Bombcast, but now it's just east coast and for moment that's still worth the 35 or whatever a year.

On 22/08/2019 at 23:33, Chindie said:

I like Tamoor (I used to listen to Chat Very Good and always enjoyed his take on stuff, and he's a decent guest on TCGS) but the GiantBomb appearance this week was him without a filter. On a show with more voices in it I think he might have been reigned in a bit, but as it was he just dominated everything. Brad was too eager to let him carry on and Lucy James got bashed out of the way. It wasn't helped by the fact there's not that much to discuss at the moment. And he also made a crappy introduction with the very unfunny in-joke 'slang' conversation that went on and on... and on.

I think I'd rather listen to it again than the same time with Ben hurr-hurring still. 

Was Lucy on in previous weeks?   I think her and Ben worked really well together.   Will be interesting to see if that was a one off or can become a thing. 

As for Tamoor, yeah needed moderating. I did find his chat about what frustrates him about Overwatch nowadays really interesting. Really well explained and you can tell he knows his stuff. 

On 26/08/2019 at 17:25, glb said:

One of the best Best Ofs in a little while:

The Bloodstained Vinnyvania is so good, Vinny's having an absolute ball with it.

• Upvote 1

YES! YES! YES! This week's Bombcast features Jeff again! But no Ben! No Tamoor! Instead we get Danny! Yes, that guy that used to be in House of Pain and Gamespot. He's great :)

Edit: never mind, I'm having illusions

• Upvote 1

Also, there's something incredibly.....interesting about watching Dan playing a game about evolution.  He seems to learn absolutely nothing, it's genuinely impressive

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

YES! YES! YES! This week's Bombcast features Jeff again! But no Ben! No Tamoor! Instead we get Danny! Yes, that guy that used to be in House of Pain and Gamespot. He's great :)

Watching now, there’s no Jeff, Ben is on with his laptop to read notes from. 

Danny is on though so I’ll watch/listen.

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

Watching now, there’s no Jeff, Ben is on with his laptop to read notes from. 

Danny is on though so I’ll watch/listen.

Really? What was I smoking last night then* :( I saw Danny Boy's tweet, launched the GB app on my phone to check and saw Jeff, Jason, Danny, and Brad. I thought "great!", made that post and was looking forward to listening today.

Dunno what happened there, sorry everyone

*I don't smoke anything btw

Edit: maybe I miss Jeff so much that I'm now seeing him om every stream :lol:

• Empathy 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Really? What was I smoking last night then* :( I saw Danny Boy's tweet, launched the GB app on my phone to check and saw Jeff, Jason, Danny, and Brad. I thought "great!", made that post and was looking forward to listening today.

Dunno what happened there, sorry everyone

*I don't smoke anything btw

Edit: maybe I miss Jeff so much that I'm now seeing him om every stream :lol:

What a cruel twist of fate.  

Burgle My Bananas is just a hot mess of a feature and not in a good way. DK64 was an utterly abysmal game 20 years ago and time has not been kind since and it is painful to watch them struggle with this unplayable shite running at 12 fps with N64 blur-o-vision and confusing level design. The rules of the feature are just convoluted and completely random. Why they have to have physical bananas and props going back and forth and not just have someone totting up the scores using an on-screen display is baffling. Just wait till someone has to lose half their bananas in week 12 and have to physically count out 237 bananas is going to be real entertaining for everyone.

10 hours ago, dave7g said:

Ben describing Control was like being in hell. He's absolutely terrible at his job.

Again, he's probably a really nice guy IRL and I can imagine some find his bumbling and mumbling ways endearing, but after all this time at GB he still can't do the most basic thing that his job requires: to describe a game.

Haven't heard this latest attempt yet, but I'm looking forward to finding out whether it's as bad as his classic attempt at describing the FPS rogue-like Void Bastards. Where Jeff felt obligated to point out that it's an FPS after several minutes into Ben's incoherent ramblings. It was impossible to tell what kind of game he was talking about!

I'd imagine his attempt at describing Super Mario World would be something along the lines of "So. Super Mario World. Uuh, well, the game is about a plumber... there's also all these pipes in the game but uuh you don't fix them or anything... which is weird because you are a plumber huurrr huurrr but he does go down them huurrr. And uuhm he like, sometimes rides on a dinosaur and like, uuh, he REALLY likes shrooms huuuuuurrrr... So yeah that's the basics. Oh yeah! You also break blocks. Hur. Sounds like it would make for a good TV show, Breaking Block huurr huur uh there's that guy from that one anime that one scene in that one episode who doesn't break blocks but huur hur he makes blocks, uhh what's he called uuuuuh"

On a more positive note, Danny "Danny Boy" O'Dwyer is moving back to Oakland. I asked whether that also meant he's going to pop up on UPF and the Bombcast more often and he's definitely aiming to do so. That's good news :)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, Danny interrupted him many times asking the most basic questions trying to get him to make some sense.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Yeah, Danny interrupted him many times asking the most basic questions trying to get him to make some sense.

Basically what Jeff also always does trying to help both him and the listeners. That's why Danny joining in when Jeff is also there would be a good thing. Then you have two very competent and talented people running shit, making it less important that Brad should do something to move the conversation along or that Ben spends 5 minutes trying to remember which game he's thinking off (Jan! Hey Jan!)

Haven't been a fan of Danny ever since he complained about entitled, whiny gamers being angry because the Halo Masterchief Collection didn't work and apparently we had no right to expect something we paid for to work and should be grateful we were allowed to buy it in the first place. 

• Empathy 2

I found it incredibly telling when Ben said this week that he hates puzzle games because he gets stuck all the time and has to Google the solutions.

He's a nice guy, but he's just not very bright, is he?

How hard is it to start with the plot set-up and genre and work outwards?

It can't be beyond his abilities to write down the important points about a game in a list so he can talk about it in a structured way.

20 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

It can't be beyond his abilities to write down the important points about a game in a list so he can talk about it in a structured way.

The best part about this particular instance is he had taken notes and was actually referring to them during the discussion. And still managed to do a bad job of it.

Is Jeff still off for paternity? it'll be interesting to see how fatherhood changes his perspective on games. When I became a dad my time for (and interest in) games dropped massively. I feel like him taking a forced break from gaming might be what he needs for his chronic cynicism but seeming desire to play pretty much everything, even if only for long enough to rubbish it.

When I became a dad my time for games dropped massively but my interest and desire stayed exactly the same. What did change was that I now suddenly notice much more when a game is needlessly violent or foul-mouthed.

• Upvote 1

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 22:34, dave7g said:

Ben describing Control was like being in hell. He's absolutely terrible at his job.

What a surprise.  Ben being incapable of holding a game conversation due to blindly fumbling around like Mr Magoo.

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 06:47, Mr. Gerbik said:

"So. Super Mario World. Uuh, well, the game is about a plumber... there's also all these pipes in the game but uuh you don't fix them or anything... which is weird because you are a plumber huurrr huurrr but he does go down them huurrr. And uuhm he like, sometimes rides on a dinosaur and like, uuh, he REALLY likes shrooms huuuuuurrrr... So yeah that's the basics. Oh yeah! You also break blocks. Hur. Sounds like it would make for a good TV show, Breaking Block huurr huur uh there's that guy from that one anime that one scene in that one episode who doesn't break blocks but huur hur he makes blocks, uhh what's he called uuuuuh"

Hello Ben.

Ben calls himself a ‘classic wise cracker’ on UPF.  It might be the funniest thing he’s said. :facepalm:

On 30/08/2019 at 11:34, HarryBizzle said:

Is Jeff still off for paternity? it'll be interesting to see how fatherhood changes his perspective on games. When I became a dad my time for (and interest in) games dropped massively. I feel like him taking a forced break from gaming might be what he needs for his chronic cynicism but seeming desire to play pretty much everything, even if only for long enough to rubbish it.

The big difference between your journey into fatherhood and Jeff's is his job is gaming. It's not a hobby or pastime. 

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

The big difference between your journey into fatherhood and Jeff's is his job is gaming. It's not a hobby or pastime. 

I think Jeff is a guy who has made his hobby into his profession and it’s certainly affected how he plays them. And the way his job now works, he can justify playing literally anything for work, and has even said things to this effect in the past IIRC. 

Previously he’s made it sound like he spends a lot of his free time also playing games and it feels like it’s more out of habit or obligation than genuine interest. He will inevitably have a lot less time to play games in his free time and that might be a good thing.