rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

Big Daddy Jeffrey's back with some Game Tapes!

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/11-angela-pickles/2970-19516

(I also then watched this Game Tapes, which I completely missed, which is them talking over a video of the Xbox 360 reveal.  It's great, Jeff and Brad were on top form:  https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/10-throw-your-xbox-triangles-up-in-the-air/2970-19307 )

• Upvote 1

On 11/08/2019 at 01:11, dave7g said:

Abby hosting sounds like a must miss.

Lasted two minutes. I know this is harsh but over-excited, talking too fast is forgivable on a podcast done in a garden shed, not so much on a long-running show when there are two people in the room much more adept at hosting.

Abby is my Ben. Ironically, think they’re actually pretty good on the bits they’ve done together.

Abby thinks everyone who listens is a geek and a nerd...

Is she still doing IMPROV classes? I couldn't think of anything more cringeworthy.

The nerd thing is tongue-in-cheek, just she’s not funny enough to make it land.

Think they should all take August off, and come back stronger for the run-up to the year-end discussions.

I've always heard it as a bit. Never been able to understand why it bothers people - as far as I can tell she's well aware she's a 'nerd' and I've never thought she's using it as a pejorative.

In other news, new Vinnyvania! Best show on the site at the moment! 

On 07/08/2019 at 12:56, Trumpets said:

Listening now. The GameSpot guy is, like, mad annoying, dawg.

EDIT: I've listened some more and he's actually kind of fascinating. He's like an American Nathan Barley, a man with no obvious personality who communicates mainly in nerdy internet buzzwords.

Finally got around to listening to this trainwreck, and while the endless hurr hurr anime talk was boring, the only really annoying thing was this guy imo. Why is yo ass talking like you mad street, dawg? Worse, talking about the most niche anime while sounding like you're auditioning to be an extra in a CB4 video? Why haven't his friends said anything

On 12/08/2019 at 20:43, deerokus said:

How did anyone not realise that was a joke. 

To be fair, while I like Abby just fine, it's sometimes really hard to tell whether she's doing a bit/telling a joke.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Finally got around to listening to this trainwreck, and while the endless hurr hurr anime talk was boring, the only really annoying thing was this guy imo. Why is yo ass talking like you mad street, dawg? Worse, talking about the most niche anime while sounding like you're auditioning to be an extra in a CB4 video? Why haven't his friends said anything

I wondered this. Does he talk to his parents like that or does he have a normal voice he can go back to? Communicating with him must be like talking directly to the internet.

• Upvote 1

Abby has grown on me a fair bit overtime but there’s definitely been a few moments where she’s shown disdain for the audience. 

Thing is though, I’m a massive fucking nerd and I fucking hate a lot of people that like the shit I like. We are talking about video game fans on the internet here, a sizeable chunk of them are bound to be arseholes. 

2 hours ago, Faded said:

Abby has grown on me a fair bit overtime but there’s definitely been a few moments where she’s shown disdain for the audience. 

Like on the playdate vid Broadway, "I don't care if the audience at home like it". I prefer Abbey's professional output, but I'd imagine I'd prefer Ben's company more in real life.

No Ben on the Bombcast this week but...

That guy from Gamespot didn't let ANY ONE ELSE talk for three hours. They couldn't have picked a worse replacement.

The first 30 minutes are him explaining how hilarious he is because he uses words like "rustled" and how he likes to use "goos" instead of "good" because he misheard something once.

Come back Jeff for Christ's sake!

• Empathy 1

Lucy James was also on the show but you wouldn't fucking know since she couldn't get more than two words in before David Brent started finishing her stories.

I'd take a Bakalar only podcast of the Bombcast at this point and Bakalar isn't the best when he has no one to bounce off.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Ben rubs his hands gleefully in the background. 

Giant Bomb must’ve been reading the thread, and this is all an elaborate ploy to make Ben seem awesome by comparison before his triumphant return. 

Saw these comments before listening to the episode. Didn't cross my mind you were talking about Tamoor. I really like him on TCGS where you've got someone like David that will tell him to shut up when needed but Brad is so completely going through the motions it's a car crash. 

I like Tamoor (I used to listen to Chat Very Good and always enjoyed his take on stuff, and he's a decent guest on TCGS) but the GiantBomb appearance this week was him without a filter. On a show with more voices in it I think he might have been reigned in a bit, but as it was he just dominated everything. Brad was too eager to let him carry on and Lucy James got bashed out of the way. It wasn't helped by the fact there's not that much to discuss at the moment. And he also made a crappy introduction with the very unfunny in-joke 'slang' conversation that went on and on... and on.

I think I'd rather listen to it again than the same time with Ben hurr-hurring still.