rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

3 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Later on he does a straight minute of Tim Allen grunt noises. It's not good. 

As an aside I watched the Get on my level feature, and I thought Ben was fine on that. 

No he doesn't. He does maybe 5 seconds, if that. You know that meme with the little girl eating crackers? This thread feels like that a lot of the time.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

No he doesn't. He does maybe 5 seconds, if that. You know that meme with the little girl eating crackers? This thread feels like that a lot of the time.

But 5 seconds of Ben doing a 'bit' is equivalent to 2 minutes. He is fucking awful. He's like my podcast kryptonite. Nice bloke probably but shouldn't be anywhere near a mic. 

• Upvote 1

I loved the last bomb cast.  The chemistry between him and Jan?  Was really good. Their review of the game with the tea party in it was excellent.  Both jumping in and giving their experience of what they’d played of the game and making each other laugh. Really put a smile on my face. 

I felt the podcast was much better with more people on it. Proper zip to the proceedings and everyone seemed to be having a good time. More please!!!

• Upvote 1

It funny how much exaggeration goes on in here with the Ben hate. 

I could find you a crap load of instances where the others interrupt others or make jokes that fall flat. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Empathy 2

Sometimes I feel the crew are way too quick to jump on Dan and his tendency to say dumb things. Especially Abby, who gets hyper-defensive whenever she’s called out on absolutely anything.

That clip was nowhere close to some of the epic revelations like cooking egg whites or Terminator 3.

3 hours ago, glb said:

Sometimes I feel the crew are way too quick to jump on Dan and his tendency to say dumb things. Especially Abby, who gets hyper-defensive whenever she’s called out on absolutely anything.

I think it perhaps carries more in the US where there are a whole lot of crazy people who don't think dinosaurs were real. It is still a bit 'YouTube'.

Anyway, I thought Abby did a great job hosting the Beastcast this week. Vinny is doing a great job with keeping the team improving over there.

They're obviously playing up the Dan-has-seemingly-never-experienced-real-world-things aspect but I still love how Alex's brain broke when he immediately went to wrestling as his reference point.

But yeah it's kind of interesting how they all seem to petrified of hosting even though they turn out to be pretty good at it.

Dan's bit this week on the film Vice was great, especially as even after his revelation he still didn't fully get it. I loved Alex's reaction. 

My brain was breaking every time Dan said Snucker as well. 

Also to respond to a previous quote about Ben - I don't mind Ben but he just needs to try less hard. He's actually rather knowledgeable and I welcome his experience of genres I don't know, such as fighting games, however he just needs to calm it down. 

I also don't get the Ben hate. To be honest, I find him to be one of the more interesting and enthusiastic members of the current crew. I enjoy hearing about things that are out of my interest zone, and I don't mind his goofy delivery. I think it's endearing and I think his bromance with Jan is great. 

He has annoyed me on odd episodes, but they all have. Even Jeff can be insufferable at times. 

I could make a similar post about Abby, who I also enjoy listening to.

• Upvote 5

Yeah, definitely. I couldn't take this week's bombcast, but while I was listening to it I wasn't wishing that Ben would shut up as much as I was thinking that Brad should have been running things better, and steering the conversation the way a decent host does. He and Jason just seemed to check out as soon as the younger members of the cast started talking.

4 hours ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

Anyway, I thought Abby did a great job hosting the Beastcast this week. Vinny is doing a great job with keeping the team improving over there.

Really? I'm still listening to it (just finished the weekly wrestling section) and I think Abby could do with dialing it back a notch. She's not her usual self; she's talking much faster and more loudly than usual, and seems to believe that she has to try and make a joke about couple of sentences otherwise people will forget that she's the host or something. It sounds like she's trying too hard to ape Vinny's style too and while that works for him I'd be happy with Abby trying something that felt more genuinely like her. 

In her discussion about yet another random $8 narrative game on Steam she said "I think" a couple of dozen times, easily. 

8 minutes ago, Radish said:

Really? I'm still listening to it (just finished the weekly wrestling section) and I think Abby could do with dialing it back a notch. She's not her usual self; she's talking much faster and more loudly than usual, and seems to believe that she has to try and make a joke about couple of sentences otherwise people will forget that she's the host or something. It sounds like she's trying too hard to ape Vinny's style too and while that works for him I'd be happy with Abby trying something that felt more genuinely like her. 

In her discussion about yet another random $8 narrative game on Steam she said "I think" a couple of dozen times, easily. 

Maybe first time nerves. They should all do it a few times. 

One thing I do find annoying is Abby's constant referral to games and certain things like Star Wards etc as nerd stuff.   Hello, that's like 80% of your audience you're calling nerds.  She comes across like she doesn't like a large part of gamer culture.  Which is fair enough I guess but to keep having a go at it at least once a podcast is poo.   

6 hours ago, Pockets said:

Why can Americans say Snoopy but not Snooker?

I haven't listened to it yet; what do those Americans say? Snocker? Shnuckar? 

Dan is particularly great of course :lol: "LAYS INN-FAINTS TERRIBLAYS"

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I haven't listened to it yet; what do those Americans say? Snocker? Shnuckar? 

Snucker

On 10/08/2019 at 23:00, rafaqat said:

Maybe first time nerves. They should all do it a few times. 

One thing I do find annoying is Abby's constant referral to games and certain things like Star Wards etc as nerd stuff.   Hello, that's like 80% of your audience you're calling nerds.  She comes across like she doesn't like a large part of gamer culture.  Which is fair enough I guess but to keep having a go at it at least once a podcast is poo.   

This is an old man thing.

For older people nerd is an insult. For millennials (and even more so for Gen Z) the word nerd has been completely reclaimed. It's a statement of fact, not a pejorative. In many cases it's a term of endearment.

This by no means a new development - it's been a term of endearment since at least the mid 00's, and has only been getting more so over time.

donald-gibb-ogre-revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg.076b94e20ea821dcf47983546544699f.jpgAbby on the Beastcast, yesterday.

(I really couldn't care less how she refers to nerds btw, but I also understand why it would annoy others. She's also a bona fide nerd of course but either she doesn't realize it or she makes a the same distinction I used to make as a shitty teenager, between 'cooler nerds' and 'nerdy basement nerds')

Nerd stopped being an insult for a few years when it was used to refer to glasses-wearing drama student hipsters which is clearly what Abby thinks she is. Then people just used ‘hipster’ as a catch all and fuck knows where nerd’s at these days but she’s not using it affectionately - I don’t think she means to be too disparaging either, though she does always say it with an air of superiority. 

• Upvote 1

She tweeted that she was now a nerd when she had to buy glasses. It's clearly tongue-in-cheek. The bit is that she's a nerd calling other people nerds.

Some people are really sensitive about the word nerd.

• Upvote 4

On 10/08/2019 at 19:37, PeteJ said:

Dan's bit this week on the film Vice was great, especially as even after his revelation he still didn't fully get it. I loved Alex's reaction. 

I never got that link to the film title either 

If you listen to Dan's podcast with his wife about random stuff they find on streaming services, you notice even more clearly how much Dan's GB persona is a construction. There's definitely elements of truth in it, he still says daft stuff and still is ludicrously ignorant of some things, but it makes it all the more obvious that he's playing up to cameras. It's always been that way (and it's a big part of the reason I didn't like Dan for a long while) but hearing him in a more subdued setting you see even more how much he dials it up for the day job.

12 minutes ago, Isaac said:

The bit is that she's a nerd calling other people nerds.

Oh. Yeah. Now that you put it like that, that's probably it. She gives the impression that she loves doing bits.