rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

1 hour ago, Trumpets said:

You can wear your academic interest lightly or you can choose to shove it down people's throats.

I never got the impression he was shoving it down anyone's throat during his time at Giant Bomb.  He brought up academic concepts about video games, but he was on a podcast and video channel specifically about video games, so he obviously would do.  Any time he provided his more academically-focused viewpoint on a subject I thought it brought an interesting angle to their discussions, and it was quite sweet to hear Dan Ryckert occasionally become more educated and interested in the concepts Austin was bringing up.

The comedic chemistry between him and Vinny was fantastic as well.

1 hour ago, PK said:

The comedic chemistry between him and Vinny was fantastic as well.

I miss that the most; Austin could riff, and brought out some good flights of fancy on the podcast / videos they did. He could even make Alex less of a mizzog.

I found Austin both pretentious but alright too. He was at his best on the Kerbal videos but discussing anything 'political' with regard to gaming he was painful. He needed someone silly like Vinny and Dan to bring him back to Earth and was intelligent enough to realise that's what they were doing and accept it.

That's the right kind of irritating though, just sometimes in certain ways. Unlike Ben who is straight to 10 on the scale in a nanosecond and doesn't let up.

• Upvote 1

We reached peak Bombcast fast food question this week, when someone wrote in with:

'Which energy drink would you choose to boil your hot dog in?'

Gave up last nights episode after a few minutes. Ben, Ben and Ben talking shite over everyone.

Are there any other good game news podcasts? Preferably one without the hosts talking about their "personal lives" and trying and failing to be comedians? Game Informer seems ok to me, but something like *Chet and John would be the dream.

*Please come back.

I did enjoy Drew talking about how he’d make notes whenever he played a game while at GB in case he had to discuss it on the Bombcast and then Ben talking about FE who clearly doesn’t do that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

I did enjoy Drew talking about how he’d make notes whenever he played a game while at GB in case he had to discuss it on the Bombcast and then Ben talking about FE who clearly doesn’t do that.

And it seems like Ben needs it the most, whenever he's not HUUURRRING and punning all over the place, he's trying and failing to remember something. What the game is called that he played this morning, what he had for dinner last night, the name of some anime character (hey Jan!), or whatever it is that the game being discussed reminds him of. Which game am I thinking of? HUURRRR!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Listening now. The GameSpot guy is, like, mad annoying, dawg.

EDIT: I've listened some more and he's actually kind of fascinating. He's like an American Nathan Barley, a man with no obvious personality who communicates mainly in nerdy internet buzzwords.

• Downvote 1

Over on the East Coast, thought the latest Beastcast was a little flat too. They were missing Jeff B, but he's been absent before and the energy hasn't dipped. Think they've reached that time of year when everyone is hanging on for their summer holiday and a bit of R&R.

Treied listening to the Bombcast for the first time in a month or two. Didn't even last the intro...Ben interrupting constanty making hur hur noises and unfunny irellevant comments.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Purin said:

Treied listening to the Bombcast for the first time in a month or two. Didn't even last the intro...Ben interrupting constanty making hur hur noises and unfunny irellevant comments.

Later on he does a straight minute of Tim Allen grunt noises. It's not good. 

As an aside I watched the Get on my level feature, and I thought Ben was fine on that.