rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

34 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Wouldn't it be better to choose a game that other people could describe competently? The whole issue with The Avengers is that no one knows what it is.

He's trying to describe what he saw and failing miserably. It's part of his job to describe gameplay footage, whether that footage is clear or unclear is irrelevant. He simply can't talk about games in an informative or entertaining manner. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You don't know what you're missing! There's a riveting half hour on his trip to a destruction derby in the latest Bombcast, followed by some top notch Auto Chess talk.

Announcers at sporting events are now called 'Shoutcasters' apparently...

2 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

You don't know what you're missing! There's a riveting half hour on his trip to a destruction derby in the latest Bombcast, followed by some top notch Auto Chess talk.

Announcers at sporting events are now called 'Shoutcasters' apparently...

I'm a shoutcaster now whenever I listen to Ben.

• Upvote 1

For any wrestling fans here:

I think Giant Bomb has become WWE and Ben is Roman Reigns or Baron Corbin. They just keep going with him even though nobody wants it.

Had some time to kill, so I fired up the GB app on Xbox... spotted a recent UPF which had a thumbnail that featured a bunch of the staff without Ben. Great! I hit play and the first thing I hear is "HURRRRRR" :(

Is the GB app any good? I use the appalling Edge browser, and now I'm wondering if I'm actually an imbecile.

Also: I'm fine with Ben. Controversially, I don't quite get the love for Jan. He's fine, but that's all he is, in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Scribblor said:

Is the GB app any good? I use the appalling Edge browser, and now I'm wondering if I'm actually an imbecile.

Also: I'm fine with Ben. Controversially, I don't quite get the love for Jan. He's fine, but that's all he is, in my opinion.

His "I play bad games and I'm slightly ironic about it" schtick has worn pretty thin for me, but otherwise he's fine.

Jan has a great voice for podcasts etc, they should use him more for that alone. Doesn't have a particularly entertaining personality to match but he's alright. 

I assume Ben will take over while he's on paternity leave. Assuming the faceless corporation he works for has that.

I haven't kept up with GB podcasts and their personal lives the past few years, but that's great to hear. Jeff seems to bounce between hyper OTT energy one moment and a sad soul the next. I hope this kid loves Yoshi's Island in 5 or 6 years.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ryodi said:

I assume Ben will take over while he's on paternity leave. Assuming the faceless corporation he works for has that.

You are legally entitled to precisely zero days maternity leave in the USA so I don't think paternity will be much beyond regular holiday times Jeff would take anyway.  

Really pleased for him, even though he's recently married I'd figured he'd left it a bit late in life to have kids.  

I think California has better rights to stuff like that than the rest of the US, though. 

Warning, 15 or so minutes of Dota talk in the bombcast, ends at 28 minutes. 

He has an academic interest in video games and their sociological & anthropological significance.  I don't think there's anything particularly pretentious about wanting to examine or discuss things to that sort of level

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, PK said:

He has an academic interest in video games and their sociological & anthropological significance.  I don't think there's anything particularly pretentious about wanting to examine or discuss things to that sort of level

You can wear your academic interest lightly or you can choose to shove it down people's throats.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I think Austin is excellent and a huge force for good but in podcasting it very much depends who is in the room with him. He's absolutely brilliant when paired with someone with limitless goofy energy like Vinny or Dan, and one of my favourite GB members ever.

When he's alongside someone who wants to 'get into the weeds' with him about politics and sociological impact (i.e most of Waypoint) it does often feel like being trapped in an endless game of intellectual and moral one-upmanship. Essentially, if it's clear that no one is going to attempt to challenge Austin's status as the Smartest Guy in the Room then it generally makes for better listening. 

The irony is his critical insights when having to counter Dan's assertion that story-based games 'aren't games', for example, are much more intelligent and valuable than the Waypoint deep dives, which just come off like bad media studies seminars. 

• Upvote 3