rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

To bring back some positivity to this thread, the lovely Mary Kish dropped by for yesterday's GB Playdate :)

Spoiler

Shame that she visited GB west instead of East, but you can't win them all!

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Radish said:

I really don’t understand the love Mary Kish gets. Is it just because she’s attractive?

No, she likes her games and is pretty hardcore at some of them. Her Downwell run is impressive, I'm terrible at that game.

49 minutes ago, Radish said:

I really don’t understand the love Mary Kish gets. Is it just because she’s attractive?

Probably also a factor - but it's more that she's entertaining and fits in well with the crew. Have you seen those board/table games streams with her and Danny and Dan and a few others? She's great, far better at this GB lark (the in front of the camera bit specifically) than - say - Ben, or Brad, or Jason. Note that I like both Brad and Jason, it's just that Mary is better at this presenting thing.

Between her, Vinny, Drew, and Jan there's definitely a pattern emerging that the video producers are often far better in front of the camera than a lot of the people they hire to specifically be in front of the camera :lol:

55 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Probably also a factor - but it's more that she's entertaining and fits in well with the crew. Have you seen those board/table games streams with her and Danny and Dan and a few others? She's great, far better at this GB lark (the in front of the camera bit specifically) than - say - Ben, or Brad, or Jason. Note that I like both Brad and Jason, it's just that Mary is better at this presenting thing.

Between her, Vinny, Drew, and Jan there's definitely a pattern emerging that the video producers are often far better in front of the camera than a lot of the people they hire to specifically be in front of the camera :lol:

Oh yeah, she's undoubtedly better than some others but I've never been as blown away by her as some people seem to be (not saying you here, just comments I've seen elsewhere). I like Jason though but he definitely has his place (I don't mean that to sound as shitty as it does!). He just has certain tastes and things he's really into. When it matches the content though he's great.

Actually, as unfortunate as it is, charisma really does matter in this sort of job and that's probably to Ben's detriment and to Mary's benefit.

I knew it would never happen but I was really hoping that both Mary and Danny would switch over to Giant Bomb. Imagine how GB west would have been then! In some interview Jeff did say he was already telling people he wanted to hire Danny right before the NoClip thing started happening and that was the end of that.

• Empathy 1

I finally found something worse than GB promoting gambling by opening loot crates on UPF. Rorie promoting gambling by opening Magic the gathering card packs on UPF. Terminally dull.

Then he has a game which was worse. I mean don't get me wrong. I've played Magic before and I quite like it but it's fucking dull to watch.

On 17/05/2019 at 18:09, Mr. Gerbik said:

I knew it would never happen but I was really hoping that both Mary and Danny would switch over to Giant Bomb. Imagine how GB west would have been then! In some interview Jeff did say he was already telling people he wanted to hire Danny right before the NoClip thing started happening and that was the end of that.

So Ben's ruining chat is the product of Danny...

Thanks Danny!

A 'classic' Ben moment on the latest Bombcast, where he cuts Brad off stone dead as he's talking about the Mortal Kombat ending, to spend the next minute trying to remember an obscure Naruto character who has nothing to do with the conversation.

• Empathy 6

13 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

A 'classic' Ben moment on the latest Bombcast, where he cuts Brad off stone dead as he's talking about the Mortal Kombat ending, to spend the next minute trying to remember an obscure Naruto character who has nothing to do with the conversation.

Came here to post exactly that. But you forgot something: not only does he interrupt Brad in the middle of his story, just moments before they announced that there would be a five minute segment with spoilers so listeners could fast forward. So not only does he interrupt the conversation to spend more than a minute saying nothing but. "uuh what's that guy called uuuh you know, that guy, uuuh what's he called", that minute takes away from those five spoiler minutes! I'm surprised Brad didn't kick him out of the podcast room right then and there.

In other news, the GB East content is thankfully still more than worth it. Their latest  mailbag with the Mario 8ball is hilarious :lol:

• Upvote 4

On 24/05/2019 at 14:29, Mr. Gerbik said:

In other news, the GB East content is thankfully still more than worth it. Their latest  mailbag with the Mario 8ball is hilarious :lol:

FFS, we've only got 5 years of Vinny left. :(

I think no one ever taught Ben to use his inside voice. I don't mind him as much as most here, but he does get on one's nerves at times. 

On 27/05/2019 at 21:16, Mike said:

You'd think Dan would step up with his millions of dollars and get Vinny a cure. 

I've always wondered if Dan was some sort of lotto winner or something. He seems to just buy everything without caring about price, shit that nobody could possibly need such as all those Amibos. He couldn't be making that much at GB.

Also Ben is getting worse and worse every week. 

1 hour ago, dave7g said:

I've always wondered if Dan was some sort of lotto winner or something. He seems to just buy everything without caring about price, shit that nobody could possibly need such as all those Amibos. He couldn't be making that much at GB.

He's raking in at least $47 a month in book royalties...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dave7g said:

He has a few side hustles, such as his novels etc, and frequently mentions that doing his tax returns is a nightmare. 

His dad was poor but his mother remarried and it could have been into wealth. He definitely seems like he doesn't struggle at all.

Although I always imagine the giant bomb guys are paid more than you expect. I wouldn't be surprised at six figure (USD) salaries for them, they are media figures.

This site here suggests that pay there ranges from $100k to $230k: https://www.paysa.com/salaries/giantbomb

• Upvote 1

Good news everyone. They've got Jan on the new Demo Derby instead of Ben. 

Which has once again revealed that 2005 might as well be 1995, pop culture seems so different now.

• Upvote 1

On 01/06/2019 at 06:28, dave7g said:

Double income, no kids. 

• Upvote 1

I think Dan actually lives in downtown Manhattan, which as far as I know is still quite a lot cheaper than San Francisco, insanely. I think he has mentioned having some sort of investments. Anyway they make pretty good money for sure (probably not so much Ben and Abby), but not enough that most of the SF crew can afford to live in San Francisco proper. Jeff has something like a 40+mile commute ffs. 

(Jeff, of course owned at least some portion the site when they sold up to CBS so made a good bit of money there). 

In other news, Johnny V works for Nintendo now. He's never getting drunk or appearing near Dave Lang on Giant Bomb ever again, is he? Unless Doug Bowser is around to keep him reined in.