Jump to content
rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Hi Ben. 

 

Snrub.jpg.61601458641005ace9fbd5abacef4767.jpg

 

I dunno. I enjoy the dynamic between him and Jan, Jeff seems very fond of him (which is notable, as the list of things that Jeff is fond of seems to be getting smaller by the hour), and while I can't really comment on his competency in terms of producing livestreams, etc., his performances on the Bombcast just don't rub me the wrong way. 

 

I'd take him over Jason any day. There's low energy and there's Jason.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching Waypoint's charity stream and Abby popped up on it for a while. "What's an otaku?" was probably her most noteworthy input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lewismistreated said:

 

Snrub.jpg.61601458641005ace9fbd5abacef4767.jpg

 

I dunno. I enjoy the dynamic between him and Jan, Jeff seems very fond of him (which is notable, as the list of things that Jeff is fond of seems to be getting smaller by the hour), and while I can't really comment on his competency in terms of producing livestreams, etc., his performances on the Bombcast just don't rub me the wrong way. 

 

I'd take him over Jason any day. There's low energy and there's Jason.

 

Jeff's putting on a brave face since he's responsible for hiring him in the first place.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waypoint is now Vice Games after being absorbed into the main site.

 

 

This type of move normally isn’t good for the long term survival of a website but we’ll see how it works out for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Not surprised. If anything I was surprised Vice didn't fire the lot of them for doing 16 hours of podcasts about the Pride And Prejudice tv series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ryodi said:

Waypoint is now Vice Games after being absorbed into the main site.

 

 

This type of move normally isn’t good for the long term survival of a website but we’ll see how it works out for them.

 

Probably not.  Can’t say I’m surprised as every time I read anything about the site it seems to taking a negative slant.  One sticks to my mind - a writer basically accusing a game of being transphobic was an eye rolling moment, especially since the developer was openly trans and upset/angry didn’t seem to matter to either the writer/site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Austin came back to GBE it'd be incredible.

 

He's terrible as an editor, with nobody to reign him in or bring him down to earth, but he was always great at Giant Bomb.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'd imagine Austin is due for the chop at vice at some point, he's been making lots of comments about the mothership being annoyed at them on various GB productions recently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Austin coming back would be great. He gelled really well with everyone, and brought the 'intellectual geek' thing more than anyone else, and was far better at the journalistic aspect of things than Klepek was (mostly because he didn't seem to be self obsessed, with the most annoying voice and personality on earth). He also was a good foil for Dan's ignorant fuck schtick.

 

Bring him back. Jeff seemed genuinely gutted when he left. More than anyone else's leaving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Natalie is leaving and Danielle is down to one day a week. Leaving Austin, Patrick, Rob and Cato. Not enough diversity to make good content. But Austin won't go back to GB that would be a big step back for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fragglerock said:

Natalie is leaving and Danielle is down to one day a week. Leaving Austin, Patrick, Rob and Cato. Not enough diversity to make good content. But Austin won't go back to GB that would be a big step back for him.

 

While I don't like Waypoint as an entity it would be good if Austin went back to GB.  It is easy to say it would never happen but sometimes needs must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Austin coming back would be great. He gelled really well with everyone, and brought the 'intellectual geek' thing more than anyone else, and was far better at the journalistic aspect of things than Klepek was (mostly because he didn't seem to be self obsessed, with the most annoying voice and personality on earth). He also was a good foil for Dan's ignorant fuck schtick.

 

Bring him back. Jeff seemed genuinely gutted when he left. More than anyone else's leaving.

1

 

No wonder.  On the one hand, we have Austin and on the other we have Ben.

 

Night and day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Austin fancies himself too good a critic/writer to be stuck at GB. He'd have no problem whatsoever going into academia if Vice get rid of him eventually which you can't really say for 99% of video game writers. He definitely wasn't up to the job at waypoint but he couldn't really turn it down either. 

 

But I'd love it, he was the best outsode 'signing' GB have ever made. The silliness of people like Vinny and Dan was perfect to puncture his self-importance. Just don't let him flood the site with hot takes about how 'popular thing is very bad, actually'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, fragglerock said:

Natalie is leaving and Danielle is down to one day a week. Leaving Austin, Patrick, Rob and Cato. Not enough diversity to make good content. But Austin won't go back to GB that would be a big step back for him.

 

My money's on Cato being the last man standing as the dream of Waypoint dies.

 

EDIT: This excellent classical joke was wasted on you lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t mind Austin popping in occasionally and at Xmas but I don’t want weekly over-intellectualised half hour tirades about how we should all feel guilty for assuming the gender of Alex Kidd or whatever he’s decided to get on his soapbox about. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will never happen but if Austin were to return I would love to see them get a regular board game/D&D feature going. Especially now that Abby is also there, with Vinny that would make three board game nerds. Throw Dan in there too for teh funnies and you've got a great new series. Use that overhead camera for something!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

I dislike Austin more than Ben, he's just so smug.

 

It's a close run thing but I think I agree with you. Once he gets his gander up he will not let others speak, and will interrupt as soon as someone pauses for breath. It's infuriating to listen to.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never really understood ‘mansplaining’, being a man, and hate the word but I feel I was given a perfect example of it every time Abby started talking about a game when Austin was on the other week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, Abby quite often will stop someone from interrupting her, which is fair enough. But she very often does exactly the same back. It’s not mansplaining - some people are just gob shites.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2019 at 20:45, replicant said:

 

Probably not.  Can’t say I’m surprised as every time I read anything about the site it seems to taking a negative slant.  One sticks to my mind - a writer basically accusing a game of being transphobic was an eye rolling moment, especially since the developer was openly trans and upset/angry didn’t seem to matter to either the writer/site.

 

Sounds like Polygon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.