Jump to content
rllmuk
Nespresso

Giant Bomb Fan Club

Recommended Posts

On 25/04/2019 at 10:14, Trumpets said:

 

Twats. It's for twats.

 

Speaking of which, their editor is on the Beastcast this week, and he doesn't seem to have changed much.

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought his reaction to "Dan reads books now" was fantastic. I'd rather see him back at GBE, I loved that smart nerd. Waypoint is just not my thing at all.

 

Edit: if Austin came back (he won't) they could do a board game playdate every now and then. With Vinny, Abby, and Austin. Invite Dave over and they could do a D&D session! Man, those were the days when Dave and Vinny took part in the same D&D session together. Hilarity inevitably ensued.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/04/2019 at 11:01, Marzipan Travolta said:

My subscription lapsed so I'm going to wait for a sale. I know it gets said often but those adverts are weird. This week had Jeff G warning me about the dangers of train level crossings.

 

I just got a mail this morning about mine running out too. When do we expect the next sale to hit? Apart from Black Friday stuff are they all pretty random?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2019 at 18:04, Mr. Gerbik said:

I thought his reaction to "Dan reads books now" was fantastic. I'd rather see him back at GBE, I loved that smart nerd. Waypoint is just not my thing at all.

 

 

The weird thing with Waypoint is I like / liked most of the presenters on other podcasts. Danielle on Idle Thumbs, Rob on Three Moves Ahead, Austin crops up now and then on various different things (including Three Moves Ahead) and he's usually great. Natalie Watson's confusion about every day life is frequently hilarious. 

 

But put them all in a room together and it's fucking awful.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listened to the latest Bombcast today. Jeez, Ben is terrible in it. It's actually difficult to listen too - he constant chips in with nothing of any value or humour. Completely wrecks it. I've given it my best shot but I don't think I can take anymore. Farewell Bombcast :( 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stavi said:

Just listened to the latest Bombcast today. Jeez, Ben is terrible in it. It's actually difficult to listen too - he constant chips in with nothing of any value or humour. Completely wrecks it. I've given it my best shot but I don't think I can take anymore. Farewell Bombcast :( 

 

They were listening to the part in the Sonic trailer where Sonic says "Gotta go fast" , they rewound it to that point, so the audience and Jeffcould hear it aain, and just as it started, Ben talks right over it :doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Stavi said:

Just listened to the latest Bombcast today. Jeez, Ben is terrible in it. It's actually difficult to listen too - he constant chips in with nothing of any value or humour. Completely wrecks it. I've given it my best shot but I don't think I can take anymore. Farewell Bombcast :( 

Yep, I've started to fast forward his segments. Hopefully it will show on some report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

Even Jeff is getting a bit fed up a sense.

 

Hopefully Ben will move on. Zero interest in listening or watching his content.  He doesn't really gel with the remainder of the group.

 

Tries far too hard. Maybe the larger GB community enjoy his continual chip ins...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither the bomb nor beast really talk about games anymore, it's just industry commentary, they skip over the games. They've offloaded new stuff to  Ben, who seems to be the only one trying new stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

Neither the bomb nor beast really talk about games anymore, it's just industry commentary, they skip over the games. They've offloaded new stuff to  Ben, who seems to be the only one trying new stuff.

 

The latest Bombcast was 20 mins of Ben being annoying over the Sonic trailer followed by Jeff monologuing for two tedious hours about industry stuff. It really needs someone like Ryan who wasn't afraid to interrupt him with a quip and move things on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben is the only one who does interrupt him with quips. Ben is also never going to leave GB. I agree they need some variety, it was great when Mary of Danny dropped by when they were at Gamespot and helped to mix things up which is what Bakalar does on the east coast.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben's worst ever moment comes later during a MK11 discussion about Johnny Cage. It's absolute torture, but is exactly everything annoying about Ben in one go.

 

He has to go.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, he's not going anywhere. They can't just sack him and he won't leave voluntarily because who else would employ him as a gaming personality?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, matt0 said:

 

The weird thing with Waypoint is I like / liked most of the presenters on other podcasts. Danielle on Idle Thumbs, Rob on Three Moves Ahead, Austin crops up now and then on various different things (including Three Moves Ahead) and he's usually great. Natalie Watson's confusion about every day life is frequently hilarious. 

 

But put them all in a room together and it's fucking awful.

Yeah, less than the sum of its parts for sure. They seem to bring out the worst aspects of each other. 

 

Any one individual of them would be great on Giant Bomb, but not together. 

 

I get the impression Ben is quite popular with a lot of the community for some reason. I don't get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

 

They were listening to the part in the Sonic trailer where Sonic says "Gotta go fast" , they rewound it to that point, so the audience and Jeffcould hear it aain, and just as it started, Ben talks right over it :doh:

Yep, he keeps doing that. I remember back when he had just joined, Brad brought along some obscure Japanese game for UPF. Brad's entire set-up for his segment was about the title screen and how amazing it was. Something about the way the announcer said the title. Jason had to turn it up, check the sound, start up the game and wait for it. There were a few intro/legal stuff/credit screens, but Brad said it's worth it wait for it. Everyone was quietly staring at the screen... a few seconds and intro screens pass... and then right before the title screen appears Ben spots a punnable company name and starts shouting "OH BUBUTEKI HUR HUR HUR MORE LIKE BOOB CHECKY HUR HUR HUR HUUUUUUUUR"*. Nobody heard anything except "HUUUUUR" and Brad was visibly annoyed.

 

*don't recall what the name was but it was something to this effect

 

What also annoys me is that he desperately wants to be smart too, offer deep insights into EVERYTHING. So before Brad even finishes reading a news item, Ben is always the first to open his gob and always he says either something completely obvious or he completely misses the point. At which point Jeff corrects him and he's like "Oh yeah..." and starts his story over again but this time with Jeff's insight as his own.

 

He's also really bad at just talking about games, or is that just me? During the current Bombcast he attempts to describe a new game he's currently playing at it went something to the effect of "uuuh yeah so it's really really interesting yeah uuuh you start uuuh at the title screen and uuuh it uses this kind of font and uuuuh if you press down there are options uuuuh". Five minutes later, if you are still actively listening somehow, you still have no idea what the basic gist of the game is.

 

If he was good at *something* at giant bomb, I could at least understand there's a reason to keep him.

Edit: remember after Ben had just started, they seemed to be attempting to mold him into a secondary video producer of sorts? With Jan and Jason intstructing him which led to a lot of HUR HUR HUUUR whenever he did something wrong. It looks like they've completely given up on that. Shame, because I'd rather have either Jan or Jason in front of the camera more often and Ben way, way behind it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that one episode of the aftermath show that Ben wasn't on where they had zero technical issues too? Hmm. There are at least a couple of moments each show now where Jeff says something in his dry sardonic way and it feels like he's telling Ben to sort his shit out. I think I like Ben more than most but I don't miss him when he's not there.

 

Beastcast on also on fire today. First Dan says one of his favourite things about Days Gone is the awful touchpad menus, then they criticize it for being a videogame, then Abby complains Mortal Kombat only has "soldier guys" in it despite the 6 armed blue bug man and death metal Gaia lady and everyone else. Then she repeats exactly what she said last week about Dreams having 5 hours of tutorials (which I'm just assuming isn't accurate). You can practically feel Vinny putting his Dad hat on, sighing and just ploughing on.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Moz said:

Remember that one episode of the aftermath show that Ben wasn't on where they had zero technical issues too? Hmm. There are at least a couple of moments each show now where Jeff says something in his dry sardonic way and it feels like he's telling Ben to sort his shit out. I think I like Ben more than most but I don't miss him when he's not there.

 

Beastcast on also on fire today. First Dan says one of his favourite things about Days Gone is the awful touchpad menus, then they criticize it for being a videogame, then Abby complains Mortal Kombat only has "soldier guys" in it despite the 6 armed blue bug man and death metal Gaia lady and everyone else. Then she repeats exactly what she said last week about Dreams having 5 hours of tutorials (which I'm just assuming isn't accurate). You can practically feel Vinny putting his Dad hat on, sighing and just ploughing on.

 

 

Or her comments regarding "Nerds" yet again, I mean ffs, you're at a Star Wars event, of fucking course there are going to be nerds there, it's Star Wars!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Or her comments regarding "Nerds" yet again, I mean ffs, you're at a Star Wars event, of fucking course there are going to be nerds there, it's Star Wars!!!

I think that's unfair.

 

She's not being derogatory about 'nerds' in that anecdote. They're talking about being recognised, and she mentions that at places such as the Star Wars event, she gets recognised more than at other places. She wasn't looking down on them at all, simply stating a fact.

 

I feel like there's a big anti Abby and Ben bias in this thread and anything they do or say gets spun into a negative whether it deserves it or not.

 

They're not my favourite members of giant bomb by any stretch but the constant vitriol they receive in here really isn't justified.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her tone of voice says a lot, along with an exact quote

 

      I feel like when I go to nerd shit, it’s like, I went to like a Star Wars Premier and I got recognised there, and  it’s like “oh yeah, coz it’s like where the fucking nerds are"

 

It's not the first time she has used such comments, I find it disingenuous when a fair part of the audience will be identifying as Geeks, Nerds etc, it comes across as if she thinks she is better than those who enjoy their hobbies more than she does.

I may be wrong, but that's how it comes across to me.

 

I don't like her content much, but she doesn't offend me on a daily basis, neither does Ben, I just don't think Ben is very good and that Abby doesn't much care for the audience or the show, as for vitriol towards them, I think it mainly boils down to several people in this thread thinking that those two were bad hires, are poor at their job or just don't want to be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo, or rather imho, Abby is a matter of taste I think. She's competent, good at what she does, and apart from personal annoyances mentioned in this very thread, there's a noticeable improvement from when she started. Ben however, just isn't good at his job. Setting aside that some people might find his non-stop constant punning funny, he objectively lessens the content by constantly interrupting everyone, never letting anyone finish formulating their takes on things, and just being really bad at explaining what a game is about. The latter is a core part of his job description I would think.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't find her tone derogatory at all with that stuff. It comes across as self deprecating/self mocking to me.

 

She was at the Star Wars event, she's talking about enjoying board games, she's into Lego(s), dating games, visual novels, she's mental for awful Nancy Drew games. She's a nerd too, and she knows it.

 

The thing I don't like about her is that she's awful at engaging with things she isn't interested in, as her dismissive 'soldiers' MK comment illustrates. Dan has got loads better at trying new stuff lately, but he's always been willing for people to talk about stuff he didn't care about. Abby goes so silent you can hear her disinterest, or if she does engage she doesn't know how to get her point across. She wasn't good at arguing in GOTY deliberations, for example.

 

But for me, most of the best stuff that's come out of the site since her and Ben joined has either been her idea or featured her heavily. 13 Deadly Sims, Fright or Shite, Million Dollar Abby and more. I'd happily watch her over anything featuring Brad and Jason, who I find immensely dull.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/05/2019 at 14:28, deerokus said:

I get the impression Ben is quite popular with a lot of the community for some reason. I don't get it. 

 

The Giant Bomb sub-reddit certainly gives that impression, but then they also admitted that negative threads concerning Ben are deleted. I think the implication is that if they didn't do that then the sub would be flooded with them.

 

I agree that negativity concerning Abby is somewhat unfounded, but none of the criticisms here regarding Ben are unfair; in fact, as Gerbik said a little way up thread, I'd go as far as labeling quite a few of them as objective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.